Sign in to follow this  
rondo

Another B question

rondo

Did all B-100's (particularly 1974) have the horizontal shaft engine? I get the impression that the B's are somewhat less in the "tough" department when comparing to a C series. Looking at a B would probably prefer a C.

Thanks.

TT

The B-100's all had K-241 Kohler 10hp horizontal shaft engines.

I don't know what you intend to do with one if you buy it, but I haven't met a WH garden tractor yet that wasn't tough! B)

DMESS

I had a 74 B-100 that I used with a 54" plow for several years. It was a tough little machine and other than the battery costing more than the tractor, I had no complaints with it.

T-Mo

All I can say is I wouldn't mind adding a B-80 or B-100 to my little herd. I like the fact that these little things have the horizontal K-series engines in them. B)

Teddy da Bear

I like mine! (B-80 & B-100)

sorekiwi

I'm a round hood kinda guy, but I love my little B-80.

I've only had it about 18 months, and before I got it, it had been ridden hard and put away wet (actually by the state of it I dont think it was ever put away).

I mowed with it all last summer and plowed with it this winter, couldnt believe how well that little HP could push snow. Finally this spring the motor cried enough, but it will live again...

wh500special

My favorite of the early B-bunch has got to be the B-60...no battery, no electrics, all tractor.

There was some confusion bya gent at the show of what "the deal" was with the B-series. So, a quick refresher if you're not familiar with them:

The EARLY B-series were genuine GARDEN TRACTORS. Horizontal shaft Kohlers. Cast Iron Unidrive transaxles. The whole ball of wax. They included the B-60 (7 hp), the B-80, and the B-100. All were manuals (4 or 8 spd) except the B-100 could also be had with a hydro. They ran from 1974-1977.

In 1978 the B-series took the roll of the LAWN TRACTOR and gone were the features held in common with the C-series. Replacing them were vertical shaft Briggs engines and much lighter duty transaxles. The frame was, of course, different as well and was a lightweight stamped unitized construction. These models lived on until replaced by the 200-series in 1985 (I think). Included models like the B-81, B-111, B-112, B-165, etc.

When the B went to the lighter duty unit (replacing the prior A-series), the C-series HP ratings were then extrapolated down to include the 8 hp tractors (C-81, C-85...)

Steve

wh500special

I had a 74 B-100 that I used with a 54" plow for several years. It was a tough little machine and other than the battery costing more than the tractor, I had no complaints with it.

See, THAT's the beauty of the recoil start tractors...NO BATTERIES required! B)

Also, I have a hard enough time keeping the front end of a C-160 planted with a 42" blade full of snow B) ...HOW B) can such a light tractor handle a 54-incher without sliding all over the place?!?! Just how big and heavy was that battery? :whistle:

Maybe I need to hit the snow before the drifts build up!

Laziness prevails,

Steve

DMESS