Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Eaton 1100 Fluid Swap tips needed

Sparky

Hey guys. I recently sold a C-125 Auto and as part of the deal have promised to do a fluid swap in the tranny(Eaton 1100).

I'm just lookin for any advice or tips I can get. I know its a long, slow process to get the oil into the tranny but is there anything to speed it up some?

How about drainin it? Should the hydraulics be in the down or up position?

Also I have heard that either 10w-30 or 10w-40 is allright to use. Is there a reason to choose one over the other? I think this tractor will be seeing mowing duty and not be doing any winter chores.

Thanks Mike.................

TT

I'd guess that the hydraulic cylinder position is irrelevant when it comes to oil changes. There should be just as much oil in the cylinder whether it's retracted or extended.

I have used 10W-40 oil in my 416H for the two years it has been here and haven't had any abnormal problems. (have to wait a little while in the winter before the hydraulic lift works, but that's it.)

I wanted to do an experiment the last time I changed the oil, but I couldn't find the piece of hard line I saved. I have a long skinny funnel that fits tightly in the dipstick tube and I was going to insert a long piece of

refracman

Mike

There is 2 bolts in the top of the trans that holds the sheet metal for the gas tank (the ones right next to where the dipstik goes into the trans) take one out and the oil goes right in easy-peasy. This is how i do all my trans oil changes and it makes ya clean this area which is neglected generally speaking.

Sparky

I wondered about that screw on top of the tranny and was just about to post that question.

Thanks Mike.........

Wheelhorse002.jpg

jerrell

hey sparkey,,,, aren't these guys great, just solved my problem also, thanks guys

Duff

Terry's mention of a funnel and a hard line reminded me of something. Here's a trick I learned through trial and error for adding both oil and tranny fluid to rigs with a relatively small filler tube:

Find a friend who works in a hospital, med supply house or Doctor's office and see if they can score you a few feet of used oxygen tubing - the small, clear stuff. Run a length of it through your funnel down into the reservoir or oil pan, leaving a few inches hanging out over the side of the funnel. Don't stick the tubing too far in - use the dip stick as a gauge and mark the tube so it only goes in as deep as the dipstick minus an inch or so. If you stick it too far in, as soon as the fluid fills over the bottom of the tube it will either stop venting or possibly push fluid up through the tubing. The tubing isn't rated for oil, so I only use it one time and throw it away rather than risk it breaking down (and off) from repeated use. Medical places tend to throw this stuff out by the yard, so once you've got a supplier, you'll probably end up with more than you'll ever need! I used to be able to get IV lines, but these are now considered hazardous medical waste in most places I'm told, even if all they carried was sterile saline solution.

Duff B)

Sparky

hey sparkey,,,, aren't these guys great, just solved my problem also, thanks guys

They sure are. This is hands down the best WH Site for info, help, and friendship B) .

Have you noticed that when a newbie posts his first question here that with in an hour or so there a pile of responces. A newbie wont get that type of fast help on the Yahoo groups.

This place ROCKS!!

Mike............