Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

Standard Tractor

Terry M

Awesome Tractor Matt! :thumbs: and that Briggs sounds really nice. GOOD JOB ON THE RESTORE! :bow-blue: to bad you live so far away because I know that tractor will be a hit at tractor shows! :USA: :flags-texas:

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Terry! :thanks: I too wish we had tractor shows in my part of the country. It would really be neat to be able to let my son show his tractor. Who knows, maybe one day we'll make it up your way. I do have alot of family in Michigan, that would be a good excuse to head north, right? :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Lars

Hey Matt..

Im sure ur boy will be realy happy about that tractor.. it looks very good and sounds good to.... just hope my suburban will be as good as the standard :) :bow-blue:

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Lars, and I'm sure your Suburban will look and run fantastic when your done with it! :thumbs:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

looks and runs great, matt.....

better watch out we dont spill the beans about you riding it to danny, though..........

I can just hear Danny now..."HEY! No big kids allowed." :teasing-poke:

bowtiebutler956

Yeah, I wouldn't want Danny to see that video Craig. I'd be in trouble! :ychain: You know Craig, it brought back alot of memories riding that tractor, but I remembered it being bigger. :ROTF: Now when I ride it, I feel like I'm going to break it! :ROTF:

AMC RULES

Now when I ride it, I feel like I'm going to break it!

Probably the tractor is thinking the same thing. :ROTF:

Don't go and turn it into a swayback before the boy's big day Matt. :ychain:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I've run into a small problem, when you have been running the little tractor for about 10min. it starts cutting out, and losing its fire. The points, and condenser are perfect, and the only thing that I believe could be affected by heat is the coil. The coil is 60yrs old, so I guess it has the right to die, but it could have waited till after Danny's birthday! :banghead: I did manage to find a coil on :techie-ebay: and I paid extra shipping to have it here by Tuesday, his birthday isn't untill Friday, but I'm not taking any chances. So the engine is going to have to come back out. :banghead: I did make some revisions to the exhaust, because I thought it was really ugly. It's still not exactly what I had in mind, but it will do untill I buy some stainless steel pipe. Of course Danny is on the tractor in the pic, I can't keep him away from the shop right now! :thumbs:

post-6076-0-38839600-1337552359_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-78165600-1337552431_thumb.jp

Martin

Just a thought Matt. Is the gas tank vented ok? Sometimes that can be a culprit. You only mentioned spark issues, not sure if you thought about that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowtiebutler956

Yes I did Martin. I took the gas cap off first thing, and checked the fuel lines to make sure the weren't getting to hot, and causing a vapor lock, but they were cool as a cucumber. Checked the carb to make sure there was no trash in it, clean as a whistle. So after ruling out a fuel issue, I pulled the plug wire off when it was acting up, and held it up to the block, and the spark was very weak, and erratic. I checked the points, and they were just as pretty as the day I installed them, and the gap was still dead on .020, so I came to the conclusion it was the coil. This is not an easy to find coil either. Briggs quite using this type of coil 50yrs ago, but I did find one, and it is supposed to be here Tuesday. Thanks for the advise though! Its always good having someone to keep you on your toes! :thumbs:

312Hydro

That's just an awesome restoration! I watched the video and found myself smiling the whole way through! Danny is a lucky boy and you rank up there as a "Best Dad".

Martin

Don't rule out the condenser, either. Even if it is new.......

bowtiebutler956

That's just an awesome restoration! I watched the video and found myself smiling the whole way through! Danny is a lucky boy and you rank up there as a "Best Dad".

:thanks: Much Appreciated, but I consider myself the lucky one! I have some awesome kids! :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Don't rule out the condenser, either. Even if it is new.......

Martin, have you ever had a condenser that only acted up after the engine was warm? This thing runs perfect for about the first 10min. I've seen plenty of coils do this over the years, but never a condenser.

Martin

I've had one that was inconsistent, but you never know. Just throwing it out there. You most likely have it with the coil though.......

bowtiebutler956

I've had one that was inconsistent, but you never know. Just throwing it out there. You most likely have it with the coil though.......

I probably should get another one just to be on the safe side, but they are as hard to find as many of the other parts are on this old antiquated Briggs. :banghead: I sure would feel stupid if I changed the coil, and it was just the condenser causing the problem! :scared-eek:

Terry M

Thanks Terry! :thanks: I too wish we had tractor shows in my part of the country. It would really be neat to be able to let my son show his tractor. Who knows, maybe one day we'll make it up your way. I do have alot of family in Michigan, that would be a good excuse to head north, right? :thumbs:

Yes Matt, That would be a good reason to come up north. I'm going to the Charlotte, MI. show this year, Where do your relatives live?

bowtiebutler956

Yes Matt, That would be a good reason to come up north. I'm going to the Charlotte, MI. show this year, Where do your relatives live?

Most of my family are in Lansing, and Travers City. My moms side is Lansing. My dads side is Travers City. :thumbs:

Martin

lansing is almost just down the road from kellys show......

Terry M

I probably should get another one just to be on the safe side, but they are as hard to find as many of the other parts are on this old antiquated Briggs. :banghead: I sure would feel stupid if I changed the coil, and it was just the condenser causing the problem! :scared-eek:

Sometimes you have to try anything you can when the problems not looking you in the eyes. matt,If it's not the coil don't worry, you'll need an extra for someday because it looks like that little tractor will be around for a while.
  • Like 1

Terry M

I've run into a small problem, when you have been running the little tractor for about 10min. it starts cutting out, and losing its fire. The points, and condenser are perfect, and the only thing that I believe could be affected by heat is the coil. The coil is 60yrs old, so I guess it has the right to die, but it could have waited till after Danny's birthday! :banghead: I did manage to find a coil on :techie-ebay: and I paid extra shipping to have it here by Tuesday, his birthday isn't untill Friday, but I'm not taking any chances. So the engine is going to have to come back out. :banghead: I did make some revisions to the exhaust, because I thought it was really ugly. It's still not exactly what I had in mind, but it will do untill I buy some stainless steel pipe. Of course Danny is on the tractor in the pic, I can't keep him away from the shop right now! :thumbs:

That Looks dang cute matt! My son would love a little tractor like that!

Terry M

That Looks dang cute matt! My son would love a little tractor like that!

Sorry , I was trying to put that last quote with the pictures of your son, didn't work. How did the coil /ignition problem work out?

bowtiebutler956

The new coil won't be here until tomorrow Terry, but I hope it works out well, otherwise I'm going to be in trouble with Danny! :ychain:

AMC RULES

You'll be fine, just as long as he doesn't catch you riding "his" tractor anymore. :teasing-poke:

bowtiebutler956

You'll be fine, just as long as he doesn't catch you riding "his" tractor anymore. :teasing-poke:

I haven't been caught yet Craig! :ychain: