Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

Standard Tractor

bowtiebutler956

Well, I started on the motor. I thought I would make sure she has a strong heartbeat before I did anything else, or at least as strong a heartbeat as 3hp can give you. :ROTF: This thing has a piston the size of a gerger baby jar! :ROTF: The rod is completely shot, the cylinder has little rust pits, and the crank looked pretty bad, but to my suprize it cleaned up quite easily with some 320 grit emery clothe, witch is good since I could not find a crankshaft anywhere for this ancient briggs. I did find a .020 piston, new rod, new valves, gaskets and seals for it. I am also bidding on a carburetor on :techie-ebay: as I can't seem to find the old one anywhere. :banghead: Here are a few pics to show what I've been up too.

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-90037500-1331771925.jpg

post-6076-0-82047600-1331771950.jpg

post-6076-0-53615100-1331772006.jpg

post-6076-0-02866600-1331772024.jpg

grnlark

Looks awesome Matt. My 23FB on the 8000 was a mess. The bore was pitted bad enough that it needed to be bored etc. So, from a cost perspective, it made more sense to find another FB which I did. In fact it morphed into another FB and 7 model 23's just to find mint parts of everything (tins, linkages etc.). I've been contemplating making mine electric start as well as 2 of the 23's I have are factory electric start motors. Obviously there is no way to hide the starter generator, but I'd want to hide the battery and key switch from sight to keep the original look. Given the limited hiding space on these machines I'm thinking about a mini motorcycle battery tucked underneath next to the trans.... We'll see.

AMC RULES

Must be the lighting...motor looks like it gold plated. :scratchead:

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Matt, I am going to get the block bored .020. I am also going to keep the starter/generator that my dad put on it for me as a kid. My youngest son is only 7 so he will need the electric start just like I did 30 years ago.

Just the lighting Craig, I wish it was gold, I'd sell it, and that would pay for the restoration. :ROTF:

Flatheadpuller

That thing is super sweet. I love the three wheeler tractors. CHeck my panazer build hen you can. Its on here under pullers. The exhaust seat looks pretty ugly in the block picture. Are you going to touch those up.

bowtiebutler956

I saw your Panzer biuld yesterday, I'm the guy that left the comment " That's Awesome :scared-eek: " I will be looking forward to watching the rest of your build. Thanks for the kind words. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Well, I thought I would give a quick update on my progress. I just found a carburetor with oil bath air filter on :techie-ebay: and bought it for $8 :woohoo: Thats good since I could not find mine. :banghead: My .020 piston, rings, gaskets, seals, and valves should be here tomorrow, I already got my new rod. As soon as I get my parts tomorrow, I will drop my block off at the machine shop to be bored, and have the valve seats machined. I have already cleaned and painted most of the components for the engine. I also got the clutch back in working order, which is a miracle since it was froze solid with rust. PB blaster and a little heat with the torch. I also have figured out it is a 1952 model with the help of Daryel at panzerbantam.com :thanks: who explained how to read the serial no.. My no. is 952378. The 9 is for the 9FB briggs, the 52 is for 1952, and the 378 is for the 378th model made that year. Here are a few pics of the progress made. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-59067900-1332105143.jpg

post-6076-0-41099000-1332105167.jpg

post-6076-0-47811300-1332105237.jpg

post-6076-0-24923700-1332105289.jpg

post-6076-0-75237200-1332105318.jpg

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Oh I almost forgot, I also ordered a new VIN tag and decals from Daryel as well. My hood decals are not going to say Bantam, they will say Standard. Daryel said in 52 they weren't called Bantam yet. :thumbs:

Martin

matt,

looking good on the engine parts..... :thumbs:

i will be following along with interest with this thread on your unique tractor.

bowtiebutler956

Thanks for the kind words Martin, but I don;t think the work I am doing even comes close to the standard you have set with your 1057. You do amazing work! :thumbs:

Martin

matt heres a quote from one of my posts earlier today on jeff (hodge71) d series resto thread...........

same goes here.... :thumbs:

well my stuff definitely looks better in the pics than in person, ive got a magic camera, just sayin.................

• Like 1

Rollerman

Looking good Matt & looking forward to the finished product

Jake Kuhn

Looks good! Jake

Flatheadpuller

Matt what kind of ignition system does it have. Looks like some sort of early magnatron. The parts look killer. Did you get all you engine parts of ebay? I love that place. Just never see any panzer parts on there.

bowtiebutler956

Thanks to all for the encouragement! Flatheadpuller the ignition system is pionts and condenser, but the coil is different than what I normally see on briggs. The guy I got most of the parts from I did find on :techie-ebay: but the parts I needed were not listed there, but he did have his phone no. listed, and he has every part for an old briggs you could ever want. His ebay name is woodrow5810 and his no. is 540-273-7541. If you need something, he's very friendly and helpful. You said your having a hard time with Panzer parts, have you tried panzerbantam.homestead.com, the guy there Daryel makes alot of reproduction parts for Panzer and Bantam, also a very friendly guy. If you haven't checked him out, you really should. He also has used parts. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Thought I would give a quick update. I got the block back from the machine shop, and I got my parts which includes piston assembly .020, new rod, new valves, gaskets and seals. This little engine is definitely from before my time, I opened up the old Briggs boxes that the seals were in and the seals were leather, not rubber. This is the first time I have ever installed leather seals in an engine. Anyway here are a few pics.

Matt

post-6076-0-26100600-1332450182.jpg

post-6076-0-79021400-1332450232.jpg

post-6076-0-86577500-1332450289.jpg

post-6076-0-33638300-1332450344.jpg

post-6076-0-45342000-1332450409.jpg

Martin

matt, engine looks great.

its been a long time since installing leather oil seals for myself.

one thing with leather, you really need to soak them overnight in oil to prepare them before installation.

i used to have some old cars back home that had leather seals in the engine and they would leak bad if not prepared properly. i did a quick search for you for some info......

http://www.leatherseals.co.uk/

bowtiebutler956

I suppose I could take it back apart and let them soak, all I did was rub them down with oil

several times since I got them in a couple days ago. What do you think Martin?

Matt

Martin

what are they sealing?

if they are easy to remove, i would do it and let them soak well. are they installed in the 'castings' that ive out lined in the pic?

if they are can you just unbolt them without removing the seal from that part. i wouldnt remove them altogether as you will most likely damage the seal.

better to do it now and soak them properly, i have learnt the hard way with them and once you have it altogether and running isnt the time to be dealing with leaky seals. maybe they would swell enough when running, maybe not.........

post-6076-0-79021400-13324502321.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Yes they are in the casings you outlined. I knew I should have read up on them before installing as I had never delt with leather seals before. Oh well, I will take them back apart and let them soak. Thanks for the heads up Martin, glad to know you got my back.

Matt

Martin

No worries mate. Sometimes it's things like this that trip you up. I have only my dad to thank me for this little bit of knowledge. It's amazing how you can forget about stuff like this for 20 years or more and just when you come across something like this, it's there. I only wish I'd paid more attention to his knowledge when he was there. He passed in 1991 and like a lot of others from that generation took a bunch of this sort of stuff with him.

Jake Kuhn

Motor looks good Matt! Jake

bowtiebutler956

Thought you guys might like these pics, I took advantage of my wife being out of the house for a few minutes, and took these pics. :ychain: Notice the grin on my son Danny's face as the engine to his tractor sits on the dinning room table. :scared-eek: I hope my wife does'nt see these. :ROTF: My son will not leave me alone about this tractor, its all he can think, or talk about. Like father like son. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-26273900-1332460364.jpg

post-6076-0-28221500-1332460403.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

Looks like a perfect center piece to me :ychain:

Jake Kuhn

I think it looks great there :) ,when your done with the whole tractor,hang it from the ceiling and see what she does :ychain: Jake

• Like 1