Sign in to follow this  
brett66c

Beginner Needs Advice

brett66c

So I'm a beginner. I've never restored anything before, but always have wanted to. Being that I'm a novas at best, I decided that I better start small and work my way up, and it just so happens that we have a WH 1981 C-125 Automatic in the back of the shed. I can remember mowing with it as a kid and for the most part it's in semi ok condition. At the moment it wont start, but I did have it running a couple weeks ago so I know it will.

Long story short,

1) Is this a good tractor to start with (or in general is this a good place to start)?

2) Where do I start? I have a good idea but would like to hear what some of you guys have to say (since you've done it before).

3) Lastly, do you guys have any tips, tricks, comments, and/or concerns that I should know about?

Beginner Brett in Iowa

rustbucket

well to be honest i think its a good start i started and am still working on a GT-14 beast of a machine plus got two more small round noses comeing my way to be worked and fixed. i'd start with mechalical and electrical then go to gosmetics unless your planing a full frame up rebuild. then someone else might be better to chime in.

Brrly1

Go Hawkeyes!!! Burly

brett66c

Nah, Go State! (currently attending)

I would like to do a full restoration, but I leave for school again in a month and a half and my brother is getting married in a month. So to be realistic I probably wont get that far but then again maybe I just might have to start with her this summer and finish up the coming winter or next summer.

are there any good sites I should visit for more info or good how-to books i could pick up?

kj4kicks

Hi Brett B)

You just found the best "how-to" manual ever... RedSquare.

There is a wealth of knowledge here. Get familiar with the search button function, and get ready to do some reading.

Best advice for your new project is to take ALOT of detailed pics. It also helps during a long term project to bag and label bolts, etc.

Good luck with it !

Buzz

Nah, Go State! (currently attending)

are there any good sites I should visit for more info or good how-to books i could pick up?

Hi Brett B) Here's the specs on your tractor:

Model # Serial Year Product Name

01-12KE02 None - None 1981 C-125 Automatic Tractor

Feature List Model Number 01-12KE02

Model Year 1981

Beginning Serial # None

Ending Serial # None

Product Name C-125 Automatic Tractor

Product Brand Wheel Horse

Product Type Riding Products

Product Series Garden Tractor, 3/4/500, C, GT

Swath Deck Optional

Discharge Deck Optional

Engine/Motor Manufacturer Kohler

Engine/Motor Model # K301AS-47742

Engine/Motor Size # 12 hp

Engine/Motor Type 4 Cycle

Engine Starter Electric

Transmission Manufacturer Eaton

Transmission Model # 1100-032

Transmission Speed Infinitely Variable

Transmission Type Hydrostatic

Here's some links where you can download manuals that will help you get an idea on what you have and what you need.

Parts breakdown of your tractor. Enter 10-12KE02 for model number:

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Down load manuals for the transmission, electrical system, hydraulics, etc:

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Enter 01-12KE02 for model number and "riding mower" for product type. It says you can order manual for the tractor but then says none are available :whistle:

You can order a manual for the B-C-D series tractors by calling Toro customer service at 1-888-384-9939 and asking for manual # 810063R1

Finally, download a manual for your Kohler K-301 here:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog...gn_families.jsp

Have fun, should give you enough info to keep you busy B) ..............

T-Mo

Hi, Brett. B)

I think a C-125 Automatic is a good one to start for your first restore. I also have a '81 C-125 Automatic. First off, the 12 hp Kohler engine is part of the classic, and legendary K-series line. It don't get any better than that, imho. Next the C series were probably Wheel Horse's most popular series, of course, open to debate. Attachments are plentiful and once you get it going you're going to want some attachments. The design is simple, uncomplicated and it will be easy to work on.

As for advice, Eldon gave you some good ones, use the search function here, read a lot and don't be afraid to ask questions. Take plenty of pictures and use the links Buzz gave you for the manuals. Good luck.

illinilefttackle

Hello Brett- :whistle: You won't need to search any further than Red Square for info on your tractor-You are going thru the same process I did about a year ago-I too have a 1981 C-125 Hrdro. Take your time, do each task to the best of your ability-I agree, mechanical first-then cosmetic. Clean your fuel system thoroughly, new filter, maybe a little Sea Foam. Check electrics as you need to. Look at the belts, find ALL the grease Zerks, especially on the deck. I took everything apart that spins and greased it. Maintain what you can, fix what you have to. It's a great experience! Holler if you need any help!

Get the manuals they help alot. You will soon see the obvious difference in toughness of these Horses vs. other tractors. Have fun-AL B)

Teddy da Bear

I restore automobiles... If I can be any help...please ask.

MaineDad

Brett,

Welcome to RedSquare! If you are not going to have a lot of time in the next few months then I would recommend a good tune up and some touch up stuff. The problem is going to be that you'll get so wrapped up in the restoration that you will not want to stop. Do some basic stuff now and when you do get some more time do the whole restoration.

Your tractor is a great starter. It is addicting once you start so you'll need the extra time. Best of luck.

linen beige

Brett,

Welcome to RedSquare! If you are not going to have a lot of time in the next few months then I would recommend a good tune up and some touch up stuff. The problem is going to be that you'll get so wrapped up in the restoration that you will not want to stop. Do some basic stuff now and when you do get some more time do the whole restoration.

Your tractor is a great starter. It is addicting once you start so you'll need the extra time. Best of luck.

B):whistle:

I second, and third that, 'cept I don't see it as a "problem" to get wrapped up in a restoration.

Limited time leads to rushing, rushing leads to mistakes, mistakes lead to regrets and re-doing prior work.

I would also suggest that any techniques you are not familiar with be studied deeply and practiced on scrap parts first. Hate for you to ruin good parts.

In addition to getting the proper manuals for your machine you may also want to check out your local large book stores for how to manuals. There are quiet a few good books on auto restoration out there and most of the content can be applied to what you're doing.

Good luck, ask away for any help, and keep us updated. B) We like to learn too.

brett66c

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to shoot for a good tune up and tweak for right now, but are there any good how-to sites or better yet, do any of you have personal WH restoration/DIY websites? I'm heading to the bookstore after work today, but good pictures of WH parts to go along with some reading would sure be nice.

Picture will be up soon.

Brett