Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

New tractors (dial up warning)

Rollerman

I came across these 2 lever steers this weekend purely out of dumb luck.

They were at an estate sale & looked to have been outside a long time.

The tree behind the one had grown around it & I had to use an axe to get it free!

The seller had thought they were Economy brand & to be honest I did not know...we agreed on a price & I paid a deposit and said I'd be up tommorrow evening with a trailer.

Sadly I shared the pics & location with another that evening to get an ID with a person I thought I could trust.

I was contacted by the seller this morning telling me I had been counter offered, my friend had made it out & told the history & value (inflated!!) in an effort to get them for himself.

The seller still gave me 1st dibbs...but wanted me to match the new higher price.

So needless to say I did & now have two 1946 Pond Lever Steers to play with.

These are the grand dads of Wheelhorse.

Hope you enjoy the pics & hope to fix one up this winter!

Stephen in northern IN...haveing trust issues

1118071632.jpg

1118071631b.jpg

1118071631a.jpg

1118071631c.jpg

1118071631.jpg

Sparky

WOW!!! Awsome find. Was it a friend who betrayed you? That part of the story really sucks.

But I think its amazing that you found 2 of those tractors side by side.

Good luck.........Mike

nylyon

Those are really cool machines, and although odd, look at peace where they are. When you git them home, you'll have to send us some more pictures. Now about that friend..... <_ that thar is one nasty thing to do i sure hope it was worth him. :d>

CasualObserver

That's nearly the most awesome story except for the "friend"... I guess whoever it was, didn't value your friendship the same way! Truly a victory score, but a shame at the same time. Why wouldn't this person just propose to buy one FROM you after you got them both at a lower price... he screwed himself as well as you on that one!

Curmudgeon

How does the old saying go? Keep an eye on your enemies, and a closer eye on your friends?

Dale

T-Mo

Steve,

That really was a lousy thing for anyone to do, especially a friend. And, as for the seller, well....a deal is a deal. The seller should have kept his side of the deal (he did take your deposit). If I was the friend and the seller, I couldn't look you in the eye again. Lousy way to treat people.

BTW, great find. Looks like you have another project or two on your hands.

Rollerman

My wife even chewed me out last night when I talked on the phone to this guy.

She was upset I slipped the location.

I thought she was over reacting, she seems to be a better judge of people than me :D

I'm livid & still in shock....but I have them now.

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

Sign of a true Blue Falcon Jackass! I hate they did you that way, but the important thing is that you have TWO POND TRACTORS! What you have is even older than the "Ride-away Senior" name!

Per Martino's book, there were only 50 lever steer tractors ever made! :D They were produced in summer 1946- winter 1947. I would say you have one of the best finds I have ever heard of. Two of them? Good Grief!

Congratulations Stephen!

And should you decide to restore only one, you just let me know. That might just be worth a road trip! LOL!

Man, that's awesome!

Kevin

nylyon

Is that true, only 50? That means you have 4% of them ever made!

CasualObserver

The best part of the story to me is that it proves that some of this stuff is still out there for us to find! The "New Englanders" haven't hoarded them all yet! Did you get any attachments with this great find? :D :P

Rollerman

J the one in the pic closest to the tree had a cultivater on it, I had to give up one of the shovels because the oak tree had completely grown around it.

My friend has emailed & IM'd asking if I'd bought them....so I don't know.

The seller gave me a pretty good description of the guys & sure sounded like him?

It makes me sorry that I sold my Senior now haveing these 2 levers, but thats another story & it's in great hands now.

My hope is to get 1 of these running...1 will need all new tires while the other may be okay?

I left work yesterday to pick them up when I got the call & then caught back up with my paveing crew...so I still have not had a lot of time to look them over.

By this weekend I hope to get them in my shop & start cleaning,learning, & seeing what I'm going to need.

At this point I know that I will need a lot of Brigg & Stratton ZZ parts.

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

The best part of the story to me is that it proves that some of this stuff is still out there for us to find! The "New Englanders" haven't hoarded them all yet!

I hear ya there... I been working to git these back to Mid-Atlantic but it's tough, I'm outnumbered, but I ain't giving up, nope!

Sparky

The "New Englanders"??? You talkin to me :D .

Mike....still chucklin :P

WheelHorse_of_course

So these are the ones with Model T transmissions and rear ends, right?

So, do you guys suppose there could be tractors like this still in use instead of forgotten in a barn?

Rollerman

Actually there model A parts.

Hard to say if there are any Pond Lever Steers or Seniors still in use?

There are many differant brand tractors that used the lever type steering, Gibson for one that are still in use.

A lever steer turned up in NC no to long ago on ebay...it had been modified but was a working tractor I though?

Stephen in northern IN