Sign in to follow this  
faster

Wet blasting

faster

This maybe old news but I have to say it works and works great. I've blasted many things with all kinds of blasters I have a cabinet blaster a pot blaster and there all hard on my 5hp 60gal compressor to the point it runs none stop. After checking out Ytube and looking at wet blasting I had to have one. Northern Tool $60.00 for the blasting kit and bought a used pressure washer for $225.00 2800pis @ 3gpm this setup works great and my compressure loves it. I tried it with play sand $4.00 a bag 50# had to sift it and blasted a very rusty junk VW wheel and it cleaned it right up 100# sand but very heavy pitted rust.After blasting and drying with the leaf blower it will flash rust yellow in color but I just wiped it down with some Ospho metal pre and ready to paint the next day. Also I`m now buying find dry clean blasting sand for $5.99 #100 bags thats ready to go no sifting. Here some picture of my setup and the video I found on Ytube CHECHOUT THE VIDEO AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

PS. I`ll take some before and after pictures the next time.

DSCF6964.jpg

DSCF6965.jpg

DSCF6966.jpg

DSCF6967.jpg

DSCF6968.jpg

DSCF6970.jpg

And the video that got it all started.

http://www.google.co...K8o1X8aW6EXPwPA

smoreau

Cool!! I got to try this! The compressor thing is what keeps me from using the blast cabinet a lot.

can whlvr

i too would like to try this,i have a medium comp and its not near big enough,i own a power washer allready so it is a thing that looks good

Duff

Sort of on topic, does anyone know if Ospho has a "shelf life" after it's been opened?

Thanks!

Duff :thumbs:

Iggy68

I bet that wet blasting is better on your lungs too! Seems like everytime I blast I blow sand out of my nose for a week no matter what mask I wear.

faster

Duff, I just looked at the bottle and it has nothing on it about shelf life and the gal I have is about 5 years old and still works great. And lggy68 no dust at all and thats a good thing for the lungs. I have a couple of wheels that need blasted and will try to take picture before and after and give the time and pounds of sand used and post here soon.

smoreau

Ware is a good place to get some Skyco ospho? And how much a for a gal. I only could find it in Qts. on amazon with a quick search.

Duff

Thanks, Scott and Faster! I've got about a pint left in a quart bottle and I just used some - turned the rust black as advertised so it seems to be still good. For some reason everyone in my area has stopped carrying the stuff, and I've got two trailers to wet blast as soon as my rig arrives from Northern Tool! :woohoo: Thank God for on-line ordering when the local businesses don't have something! :USA: Duff :thumbs: