Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

K-181 Throttle/Governor Adjustments

chesbaycruiser

I am having a bear of a time getting the throttle/governor adjusted on the new K-181 in the B-80.

When I hooked up the new engine (same carb, same throttle cable) I immediately noticed that I had very little "throw" in the throttle. Where before, I could move the throttle control from stop to stop, now I only have about 1/2" to 3/4" of usable movement.

Also, right now, the response to a cable movement at the throttle on the carb is not what it should be. When I manually adjust the carb throttle, I get a nice, smooth adjustment of power, however when I use the throttle control via the cable, I basically have idle or wide open.

I made the "Initial Adjustment" as stated in the Service Manual, and have made the "Speed Adjustment" to set the max RPMs, and things are somewhat better, but it's still clearly not right.

My main question is this:

I have reviewed the instructions in the Service Manual, and am confused by one of the steps. Step 4 in section 6.27 (Throttle Wire Installation) tells me to remove the Drive Pin from the Speed Control Disc. I see no instructions indicating that it should be replaced. My problem is that every tractor that I've checked around here still has the Pin. What am I missing? I'm afraid that I'll maul it up removing it, then find I need to put it back. Am I safe to remove the pin and not put it back?

As always, thanks for any help, suggestions or personal experience!

CB

Here's what the Manual says:

governor.jpg

rick

All of the small block Kohlers I have seen have the pin, too. Top speed is set by moving the throttle bracket, which is locked in adjustment by the brass nut. The disc turns as the cable moves in and out, changing the engine speed to the limits set by the throttle bracket (top speed) and the idle speed screw (low speed). As I see things, the pin is not needed except maybe for factory set up of engine speed. I believe the pin can be carefully removed by taking the disc off and while supporting the disc with a socket that will allow the pin to fall through, tap it out carefully.

You could also just try to set the top speed ignoring the pin, and worry about it if you can't then set the speed.

I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you, and this post helps you.

chesbaycruiser

Just as I suspected. NO one knows governors because they run on voodoo magic!

For what it's worth, I've adjusted, readjusted and adjusted again, and no matter what I do, I basically have either "idle" or "overspeed". I've just about come to the conclusion that the governor gear must be bad.

That's great news, 'cause the one thing I've been wanting to do is take the motor off the tractor and tear it down for a third time.

• Like 1

chesbaycruiser

Oops. Rick, looks like we cross-posted! Thanks for responding!

At this point I've literally spent hours working with the adjustments, including the throttle bracket, and just can't get it. I did end up removing the pin, but it made no difference.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to check the gear without tearing the motor down. For example, if I disconnect the governor/carb linkage, then adjust the speed at the carb, might the action at the governor arm give me any indication if it is working properly or not?

AMC RULES

Just as I suspected. NO one knows governors because they run on voodoo magic!

I've just about come to the conclusion that the governor gear must be bad.

That's great news, 'cause the one thing I've been wanting to do is take the motor off the tractor and tear it down for a third time.

:ROTF:

Remember Chris...that which doesn't kill us serves to make us stronger. :text-woo:

After you get this one figured out...you'll probably consider changing your user ID to "The Governor." :thumbs:

Don't give up, you're almost there. :popcorn:

rick

Any luck yet?

chesbaycruiser

No joy Rick. I've set the tractor aside for a bit to take care of some other projects around here.

I've come to the conclusion that the governor gear is probably no good, so looks like sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll be tearing down the engine one more time. Woo hoo.

I'll report back....

wp205a

I have the same problem. Very little travel on the new throttle cable, not smooth at all. If I get it figured out I'll try and remember how to do it and post. Mine had the pin, I took it out thinking I would have more travel which was incorrect, I think.

chesbaycruiser

wp205a

FYI...I replaced the governor gear, which did turn out to be bad, but I continued to have issues trying to get the governor set correctly. I ended up taking the tractor to the man who owned the Wheel Horse dealership in this area for many, many years, and he confirmed that although the service manual doesn't ever tell you to put the stop-pin back in the Speed Control Disc, you do need it. They replaced it and now things are good. I still don't know if I have all the throttle travel I used to have, but it is much better than before, and the application of power is much smoother.

Good luck!

CB

wp205a

Thanks, mines getting better, my throttle cable was (is) binding. Need the length of original conduit and cable so the next one I cut will be right. I get a fairly smooth pull to a fast idle, then it's a chore to get it to operating speed. Have a good evening.

wp205a

I take back the "mines getting better". Just walked out to admire my handy work, and it is as hard to pull as ever. Stay tuned, but not tonight. I'm done. Hot in Alabama.

wp205a

Couldn't help it, I went back out, sprayed a little sili-kroil in the cable, fooled with it/loosened up a little. Hooked the - cable back up and fired it off. Had to run the choke way longer than usual. Note to self, if you added an inline fuel cut off, and close it each time you shut down, be sure and open it prior to restarting. Good night.

wp205a

oThe bend as shown on pg. 6.28 might be critical. I'm 90% there, convinced I have cable, not governor issues. Really would like conduit & internal cable measurements for an original cable, along with position of throttle bracket as shown on pg. 6.27. Good night.