Sign in to follow this  
mailman

Quick question.

mailman

I went to start tractor. Nothing, not even a clik. So I jumped it from my other tractor. No problem, fired right up. BUT, when I went to remove the jumper cables, it dies. Would a dead battery keep a tractor from running once it's started?

Brrly1

Yes, I have to believe so. Also does your amp gauge show that the system is charging? Its always nice to have a good battery.If you use this tractor to push snow in the winter you might want to make sure you buy a battery with enough cold cranking amps. I am sure some of the other guys that know a whole lot more than me will check in but this is what I can throw out there.

Have a good one Good Luck Burly

TT

You are absolutely right, Burly.

I worked on a 1973 8 8-speed about two months ago that would only run with the jumper cables hooked to it.

The battery voltage was ZERO, but the tractor had been sitting. (the battery wasn't very old, but it was a Wal*Mart "special" B) ) I wasn't sure if it would take a charge, but I went ahead and checked the stator output and the B+ output at the rectifier - which were both excellent.

I swapped the battery out with a known good one (charged), and the tractor started right up. :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

It is a bad cell in the battery.

HorseFixer

To answer your question like everyone else yes! It is most likely time for a new battery, and at the cost of them now days its worth the expenditure Auto Zone sell a premium battery for not to bad a price of course Deka and Intersate have the best but are a lil more pricey "Your paying for the led" A Deka or Interstate weigh a bunch more hence properly cared for will last longer.

You may try this tho, And I am not saying this works every time but If ya like tinkering and resurecting things B) then give it a try. What happens to a lead acid battery is the plates disolve and sometimes this can bridge between the plates at the bottom of the battery. I have carried these to a corner of my yard and dumped the acid use precaution with the acid. I then have flushed the cells out and with a garden hose to remove the sediment. I have then filled with half sulfuric acid and half distilled water and put them on charge for awhile. I was lucky that I have brought several back from the grave but many I havent. Its a coin toss.

What you need to condition your battery is a battery conditioner. They need to be maintained over the winter months when not in use. They sell them on flee bay and can like do four batteries in tractors at once. Here is a good article on them.

A battery conditioner is a simple, computerized device that charges, maintains, and prevents sulfation from occurring in lead batteries. Sulfation is common in batteries that sit for periods of time between uses, such as in secondary vehicles, pleasure boats, motorcycles, off-road vehicles or personal aircraft. Sulfation is the primary cause for battery failure, and is a result of repeated swings from a discharged state to a charged state, overcharging and hot climates.

Sulfation occurs when sulfuric acid or electrolyte breaks down, causing lead sulfur crystals to coat the lead plates inside the acid battery. This interferes with the battery

mailman

Thanks for all the help guys. I just have to figure out if the battery is bad. Will put it on charge and see. I know this tractor has a charging issue. I will work on that also. Too many issues around here. Not enough time. Whew, what am I gonna do when the second baby comes this winter? B)

Curmudgeon

To answer your question like everyone else yes! It is most likely time for a new battery, and at the cost of them now days its worth the expenditure Auto Zone sell a premium battery for not to bad a price of course Deka and Intersate have the best but are a lil more pricey "Your paying for the led" A Deka or Interstate weigh a bunch more hence properly cared for will last longer.

You may try this tho, And I am not saying this works every time but If ya like tinkering and resurecting things B) then give it a try. What happens to a lead acid battery is the plates disolve and sometimes this can bridge between the plates at the bottom of the battery. I have carried these to a corner of my yard and dumped the acid use precaution with the acid. I then have flushed the cells out and with a garden hose to remove the sediment. I have then filled with half sulfuric acid and half distilled water and put them on charge for awhile. I was lucky that I have brought several back from the grave but many I havent. Its a coin toss.

What you need to condition your battery is a battery conditioner. They need to be maintained over the winter months when not in use. They sell them on flee bay and can like do four batteries in tractors at once. Here is a good article on them.

A battery conditioner is a simple, computerized device that charges, maintains, and prevents sulfation from occurring in lead batteries. Sulfation is common in batteries that sit for periods of time between uses, such as in secondary vehicles, pleasure boats, motorcycles, off-road vehicles or personal aircraft. Sulfation is the primary cause for battery failure, and is a result of repeated swings from a discharged state to a charged state, overcharging and hot climates.

Sulfation occurs when sulfuric acid or electrolyte breaks down, causing lead sulfur crystals to coat the lead plates inside the acid battery. This interferes with the battery