Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Rustoleum Paint

mattd860

I went to a local mom and pop automotive store yesterday and asked for hardener for Rustoleum Paint but they said they only offer hardener for acrylic enamel products, not oil based enamel products like Rustoleum. Is there such a thing as oil based paint hardener that will toughen the oil based paint and bring out a good shine???

larryandnell

Actually they do make IH Red in Rustoleum brand. Alot of places dont handle it but I get it at a HWI Do It hardware store. It is Rustoleum tractor and implament paint. They got it in gallons, quarts and bombs. Actually the IH Red is the same color as Regal red in Rustoleum. I painted a 856 last year and got 1/2 done and run out of the Ih and finished up with Regal and you can not tell it. I also use laquer thinner to thin it. The cheep thinner takes forever to dry but I sometimes use it when its in the upper 90s. I have also used Rustoleum clear in the spray bombs as a finish coat with real good results. There is a Orsulins farm store not far from us and they sell BPS [best Paint Sold) brand and they sell a oil base clear coat also in quarts and gallons ready to shoot out of the can. I am a big fan of Rustoleum paint. A gallon of Regal red is around 26 bucks at Menards. I quit using primer a couple years ago. I give it 3 coats of Regal and some times clear and havent had any issues. I am also a huge fan of using a E tank. I would be broke if I painted several hundred trators with automotive paint. Hope this helps .

Ken B

You should be able to use the acrylic enamel hardener. If you don't use that you might have to make that 45 minute trip to Tractor Supply for their hardener which will work.

mattd860

You should be able to use the acrylic enamel hardener. If you don't use that you might have to make that 45 minute trip to Tractor Supply for their hardener which will work.

LOL - Looks like I'm going for a 45 minute boondoggle in the near future.

This is what I need

http://www.tractorsu...-fl-oz--3449669.

Or I could pay an additional $6.65 in shipping and get this

http://www.amazon.co...31819823&sr=8-1

mattd860

Another question - should hardener be added to the primer too? I will most likely be spraying the Rustoleum sand-able primer

massey

I would not recommend adding hardener to the primer. It may not allow the paint to "bite" into it. Just apply the primer as they recommend.

• Like 1

mattd860

I would not recommend adding hardener to the primer. It may not allow the paint to "bite" into it. Just apply the primer as they recommend.

Thanks! Will do.

wheelhorse656

I added hardener to the primer too... as long as you sand it it will stick very well to the primer and it is less likley to chip off down to the bare metal. If it was me I would add it to the primer.

I have bought the restoration hardener from TSC and would recomend it over the regular valspar hardener. But because your closest TSC is 45mins away I would buy the stuff from amazon. It would be cheaper than spending $4.00 a gallon fuel.... If its 45 mins thats probly 1.5 to 2 gallons each way so thats $6 to$8 for the trip...... or more when you can have it shipped for $6.65

Wheel Crazy

Ever seen this?

Quit laughing, give it a chance.

People are amazing. :popcorn:

Here is spray paint!

• Like 1

wheelhorse656

The paint on that guys motor bike might look good now but let it sit in the sun for a few months and it be driven and the paint will be faded and chipped all up a part painted with the same paint and hardener added after the same time will still have its shine and have little to no chips in the paint!! Not to mention it took me 3 cans of paint to paint a hood I sold a few years back and at almost $4 a can thats $12 for another $22 I could have had enough paint to paint the entire tractor with some left over using hardener and thinner...... So why would I spen 3 or 4 times that?

• Like 1

can whlvr

so i use tremclad which is made by rustolium i was told,it takes at least 12 hours to dry(unless its 90 and sunny and not humid)how much time does the hardener knock off the time to dry,this is a great thread as i use alot of regal red and would like to try hardener,i like the look of it too for the money

varosd

on my gang reel mower refurb, I found quarts of Rustoleum Regal Red at the local Lowe's and just prep with rustoleuom rusty metal primer and brushed it on over the winter and it looks fine. I will leave them out on the driveway under treated canvas tarp during the summer and store them inside during the winter. we had a set of reels growing up in CT and we did the same thing w/o issue

straight regal red does have a orange undertone and the 520 I just got has unfaded paint and it seems more of a candy apple red base ? can anyone who did the 50/50 regal red/sunrise post or hyperlink some photos? I tell everyone who visits to look for the WH red mailbox out front, they never miss us!! :rolleyes:

mailbox.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

How cool it that? :icecream:

larryandnell

Menards has Rustoleum gallons on sale for 21.99 with rebate. Also black and white twin pack spray bombs for 4.99. Sale is good June 17 till July 1.

condo630

I once painted a car with Rustoleum and Valspar enamel hardener. It still took forever to dry, but seems to be holding up OK. It took a lot of thinner too.

546cowboy

I have never seen hardener for Rustoleum and all hardeners will not work with all paints. I use Van Sickle paint exclusively with hardener. I tried Valspar from TSC years ago before they sold hardener. It faded in less than a year and I will never use it again. A friend of mine got a deal on some red Caterpillar paint which turned out to be Valspar and I used the hardener I use with Van Sickle, well that paint never did dry properly. So whatever paint you are going to use get the same brand hardener and save yourself the aggravation.

I have painted many tractors big ( IH,Ford,Fordson,JD,AC,Oliver) and small (JD, WH,Allis,Simplicity,MTD) and never had a problem with Van Sickle and I use the IH red on all my Horses. It shines nice when done and holds a shine. I have had Wheel horses for 5 years or so that still shine like they did when I painted them.

Recycle68

Hurry to TSC as they are closing out their Valspar paint. 25% off....... I just got 3 gallons and hardener.....

Tankman

Thought I saw Regal Red in Lowes before by the qt.

I did see quarts of Regal Red in both Lowes and Home "Cheapo."

A couple of rattle cans quietly waitin' by, "Just in case."

Handy for touch ups, particularly for the mower deck(s).

As far as holding up, time will tell. I am just now painting

my Raider 12. A few weeks ago painted my '73 12 hp automatic. Color looks great.

The US flag painted on my barn by my son (at my request) has lasted seven years to date.

RustOleum paint, quarts, were used for that project.

Eboy

Always test paint things first, to make sure it will work. I have used the Valspar hardner in many different paints, Sherwin Willians, rustoleum, and others. Use hardner for all coats.

Zeek

Thought I saw Regal Red in Lowes before by the qt.

I did see quarts of Regal Red in both Lowes and Home "Cheapo."

A couple of rattle cans quietly waitin' by, "Just in case."

Handy for touch ups, particularly for the mower deck(s).

As far as holding up, time will tell. I am just now painting

my Raider 12. A few weeks ago painted my '73 12 hp automatic. Color looks great.

The US flag painted on my barn by my son (at my request) has lasted seven years to date.

RustOleum paint, quarts, were used for that project.

Make sure you post some pics of your Raider, I'm doing a 12 now too. Just because I enjoy a challenge, I'm going to give the TSC Majic a shot and see what happens.

So far I can tell you the primer in quart version sucks because it takes forever (meaning more than a week) to dry :angry-tappingfoot: . However, the rattle cans are working nicely so far. Primer dries nicely and sands well.

billworthington

I use rustoleum enamel all the time, with Valspar hardener. Works great. Mix ratio @ 8parts paint, 1 part hardener, 1-2 parts thinner (use naptha) not mineral spirits. The ratio is very forgiving. Gives great results.

mattd860

Finally got around to painting with the Rustoleum today. I used a Preval Sprayer (see pics), not my HVLP because I was just doing the small parts. It was the first time using the Preval Sprayer and it works great. I have a few runs to deal with but that's it.

I thinned the Rustoleum with Acetone and did a 50/50 mix with 2oz of Valspar Hardener.

Take a look at the pictures below. Pictures were taken approximately 2 hours after I sprayed.

2012-09-12_12-54-27_495.jpg

2012-09-12_12-54-07_634.jpg

Ken B

Looks good Matt. I have used the Preval sprayer in the past. Once you get used to it and if you don't tilt it too far you can get decent results. Clean up is a breeze!

mattd860

I quickly learned about tilting the can to far when I first started to use it. You also can't shake the can too far back and forth when spraying because if you do, only the aerosol without any paint. I also learned that I cannot paint everything on a table like I did because everything will get overspray. I to fix some runs on the Kohler engine tins so I will re-spray those independently to avoid overspray. You can hardly notice it on the smaller parts. Once I master this I will move on to larger things like the hood and seat pan but I'm not sure if I want to use my HVLP gun or the Preval Sprayer for this. I'm also not sure if the 50/50 mix of paint and acetone is the best either. I might try lacquer thinner next time. Any suggestions?

sadixon49

Rustoleum does make IH red paint. I have found it at Menards. The label on the can says Specialty Farm Equipment, And farther down on the can it says, Original Equipment Colors. I have cans in JD green, JD yellow, and IH red. I remember seeing AC orange and Ford blue on the rack. I did not see IH white though.

steve