Rooster

Rooster

I have been doing a little searching for info on a 1046. I picked up one in a lot I purchased recently and have been told it was a low production model.

Did not find any pics so I figured I would ad a couple to the gallery.

gallery_5219_6_241162.jpg

gallery_5219_6_1651988.jpg

SO how many of you have one of these? Are they as rare as some have led me to believe?

I am not going to restore this one, actually I am going to use it.

Hopefully some day it will go to another member who will appreciate it more than I. Not that I do not love the tractor, but I am not a collector and there for low production Numbers and "Rare" to me mean nothing more than I should be careful about what modifications I make, etc.. If this is indeed a "rare" find, it needs to be in the hands of a collector.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

CasualObserver

They are few and far between. There have been a few through here in the past... (pictures included) You should be able to just put 1046 in the search engine and find the old topics. Something about the engine spec number is different.... maybe different oil pan... I don't remember exactly.

Here's a couple...

Rooster

Yes it has the short pan from the previous years.

As I have been told, when Wheel Horse added the 10HP Kohler engines they were to tall to fit under the hood, so they had to spec a shorter pan . In 1966 they nade the tower and hood mount higher and was able to use the standard engine. The 1046 has a raised engine plate and was made to simply use up the short oil pan engines Wheel Horse had in stock.

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:

WH Raider10

Nice machine you got there Rooster!

Rollerman

Yes it has the short pan from the previous years.

As I have been told, when Wheel Horse added the 10HP Kohler engines they were to tall to fit under the hood, so they had to spec a shorter pan . In 1966 they nade the tower and hood mount higher and was able to use the standard engine. The 1046 has a raised engine plate and was made to simply use up the short oil pan engines Wheel Horse had in stock.

Nice find Rooster & you did your homework too. :handgestures-thumbup:

They are pretty much identical to the "66" 1056, but with the shorter oil pan K241, riser plate, & the unique model designation.

I have no idea on production numbers & have maybe only seen half a dozen or so in RS members collections since coming on board here.

Rooster

Links were great Jason, I did do some more searching, and 1046 pics are hard to find.

There still seems to be some misnomers about them, no-one seems to know for sure how many there were produced.

On another site I read that there were only 3 with currently reported locations, one of those was in Oklahoma...which if that was mine is now in Kansas, lol!

I read on here however, that one member has owned 3 different 1046 Tractors.

If any of you have one or know of a certain Location, would love to hear about them!

Rooster

I can't find a Manual for this tractor, or the 1056....

Any body be of help there, I need some parts for it.

I also just like to have Manuals for my Tractors, lol.

CasualObserver

There is no manual for the 1046, only a supplemental page that had the part numbers for the different engine and belt guard. (and no, I don't have a copy of it, but I've seen it.) The rest is the same as the 1056. There is a manual for the 1056 but it appears no one has uploaded it anywhere.

Prater

Just bring it on down to me next time you are passing through...LOL

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Good find have fun with it.

baerpath

Rooster I'd be interested in it to go with my 1045 Problem is when you gonna have time to deliver it ? :ychain:

jusjeepn

Yes I've owned 2 and and picked one up for a good friend, thats 3. Ken had one, thats 4. I know of 2 more in my area (not for sale), thats 6. Your's makes 7. JB in Centerpoint, IN. knows of 1 maybe 2. So that's at least 9 maybe 10. I'm sure I'm forgetting some...... Nice tractor you have there. All of the info you have concerning the oil pan/riser combo has proven to be true. I've only seen 1 piece of litature pertaining to this model but I can't find it

bowtiebutler956

Nice find Rooster. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

gwest_ca

Product service bulletin 338B

The engine listed is K241S-462198 and should possibly be K241S-46219a?

Does this engine have a 1" crankshaft?

If so the PT-6 1-1/8" pto is wrong and should be PT-7 for 1" crankshaft.

Garry

520HC

I have 2 of them. I am almost finished restoring 1 of them.

gwest_ca

Anyone interested in adding the 1046 serial numbers to this list to see where they fall?

000955 - Lowest 1967 serial number so far (Appears the 1967 serials started over)

293111 - Highest 1966 serial number so far

274250 - ST-326 snowthrower to 293111 are all attachments so far

261490 - 1046 tractor last 1966 tractor model built so far

261356 - 1046 tractor

259200 - RM-116 mower

154770 - Lowest 1966 serial number so far (Appears the 1966 serials continued on from 1965)

147399 - Highest 1965 serial number so far

• Like 1

ol550

My 1046 falls in the current range at 261398. It's my mutt tractor with a 14 hp Kohler and in following Martin's

lead, has no seat. Has a modified JD 'Scotts' snow blade that does snow duty (or at least it did before this year).

gwest_ca

Anyone interested in adding the 1046 serial numbers to this list to see where they fall?

000955 - Lowest 1967 serial number so far (Appears the 1967 serials started over)

293111 - Highest 1966 serial number so far

274250 - ST-326 snowthrower to 293111 are all attachments so far

261490 - 1046 tractor by sprocket6238 (Last 1966 tractor built so far)

261398 - 1046 tractor by ol550

261356 - 1046 tractor by liquortwo

259200 - RM-116 mower

154770 - Lowest 1966 serial number so far (Appears the 1966 serials continued on from 1965)

147399 - Highest 1965 serial number so far

Rooster

Umm..wats this "Serial # List"??

CasualObserver

Garry is one of the owners of the yahoo manuals groups.... Since Wheel Horse serial number records aren't publicly available from Toro, he's been compiling serial number lists for years.

• Like 1

Rooster

Ohh, so should I like send him all of My Serial numbers?

CasualObserver

Can if you want, or just PM him or post them here if you want to share. Garry belongs to and reads many Wheel Horse forums and records serial numbers as he finds/sees them.

gwest_ca

Ohh, so should I like send him all of My Serial numbers?

By all means PM them to me. Include your Rooster ID so I can put that with them and Red Square so we know the source in case someone wants to contact you.

Have a little over 3500 now so starting to see some trends. Some were posted in forums 12 years ago. They are in a Database Table here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/

There is a file in the Files there named

A set of instructions for using a Database Table

You will see a Print option you can use but don't try to actually print it because it is now 332 pages.

Garry

• Like 1

wats56

Nice score Rooster, good luck with it :woohoo: :)