Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Tiller belts

Kelly

Ok I know there are two different belts for the tillers one is a #1599 for the 70's and 80's tillers does anyone know for sure what size it is? outside measurement would be great, second what is the belt no. for the newer set up? I know the tiller is the same but the mid pulleys are what is different, and does any one know what size that belt is? at least the belt part no. I may have found a supplier for these belts at a afordable cost.

Martin

139 inches from a chart i have...

1599 HA 139.0 long

not sure about the newer one, ill look a little more......

Kelly

But is the 139 inside or outside?

Martin

no luck with the newer one......

im not positve as i dont have one to measure. all of the sizes have been outside so far from this chart.

Prater

Thats outside on the conversion charts, I just tried a 138 (too short) which the conversion chart said crossed with the Toro 1599 so be carefull.

Martin

found another reference to it as 138 outside, so im not sure now kelly?

gwgdog66

Kelly,

My brother tgranthamfd researched the belt sizes out a year ago. He put a 1976(?) on his 2005 GT Classic. and used the toro 1599 belt. I thinK he first tried a 4L 138 belt that was to short. He doesn't get in from work til early morning hrs, I'm sure he knows the size's you are asking about.

Daddy Don and maybe Prater have been through this also.

Prater

Kelly,

My brother tgranthamfd researched the belt sizes out a year ago. He put a 1976(?) on his 2005 GT Classic. and used the toro 1599 belt. I thinK he first tried a 4L 138 belt that was to short. He doesn't get in from work til early morning hrs, I'm sure he knows the size's you are asking about.

Daddy Don and maybe Prater have been through this also.

Yep, Terry traded the 4L 138(Most cross this belt to Toro 1599) to Daddy Don for a Toro 1599. The 4L 138 fit the C-111 with the motor swap with a little finess(Lots of muscle and cursing)...and the Toro 1599 fit Terry's Classic. I just ordered the 4L 138 because the book said it was the replacement and it was too short. I am picking up that spare 1599 from Terry on Friday.

• Like 1

Kelly

I'm not crossing no.'s this is a pick a belt by size type thing, and they go by outside measurements

Prater

I am picking up the Toro belt from terry friday. i will try to get a good outside measurement on it if you dont have a good answer by then. I am pretty sure it is 139 outside.

gwgdog66

I am picking up the Toro belt from terry friday. i will try to get a good outside measurement on it if you dont have a good answer by then. I am pretty sure it is 139 outside.

ya know if he would talk louder sometimes :ychain: I could have dropped that belt off to you last Sunday evening on my way back to the City :grin:

gwgdog66

Yea I think I picked up a 1599 the same week he did, and he has two.

Prater

Thats OK Gary, I need to get out and see some sites...

Martin

this site also shows 139

http://outdoorpoweri.../toro_belts.asp

now thats wierd....

that site has two charts......

the 'wheelhorse' chart they have http://outdoorpoweri...horse_belts.asp shows 1599 as 138....

this was the second reference i came across.

kelly, the original measurement i gave you was from a pdf i have. this has been accurate with belts ive referenced off there before.

is this a situation where you can use an old longer belt, cut it and get an accurate measurement? or you dont have the setup assembled to do that?

heres a copy of that file, theres a chart on page 14. drive belt section/length by part number.

edit: just noticed this pdf is part of the toro lube/belt pdf karl uploaded in the files section.

Belts_Mower_spindle_and_drive_belt_charts.pdf

Prater

I also saw that Martin, I figured it may be for the early models. My dads 1979 C-111 uses the 138 belt, but it has been modified with a 14HP Kohler instread of the Briggs. It still sits on the vibration plate and could have an older PTO. I wonder if the PTO pulleys have a different circumference. I know Terry's newer Classic uses the 139 belt, and looks like my 1985 416 needs the 139 belt also.

can whlvr

i thought that the 1599 was 141 on the outside which would be a 139,they seem to measure them from the inside,i have one from the dealer but im sure its stretched with all the use its had but ill measure it anyway,if you look in the search for a post from may 05 2011 daveoman posted a large kist of allternative belts,in that thread its said to be 141 outside,the post was started by mowerman1193 on may 05 2011,if that helps at all,sorry dont know how to link it to this thread

Prater

Did we open a can of Worms??? Sorry Kelly, just trying to help. I will measure the outside of that new belt tomorrow.

Martin

That chart in the toro lube/ belt PDF is outside measurement. I'm sure of it .. I've got belt sizes off of it before and all have been outside.

tgranthamfd

Kelly, I think the Toro measurments are I.D. not 100% on that though. Here is a thread I had going a while back discussing some part numbers and sizes.

The first page has most of the discussions. I bought a cross to the 1599, at a local belt shop and it said it was 138", it worked on mine but was to tight and I had to reattach the idler tension spring in a different spot. I traded it to DaddyDon, which had a #110265 it was 142" and to long for his and mine. I bought the #1599 at 139" it worked for me and the 138" crossed belt worked for him. That is the only measurments I have with lenghts. But I am not posative on the lengths being ID or OD. My vote is still an inside measurment on the Toro / Wheel Horse belt numbers. Hope some of this makes sence and/or helps out some.

Rooster

V-belt lengths are typically Inside measurements?

Here is a great site about belts.

http://www.vbeltsupply.com/conventionalvbelts.html

tgranthamfd

Now that I thik about it if the 1599 is 139" and all the crosses to this belt end up being 138" then. Tell ya what, I will run out and give you a measurment on the outside of a new #1599 belt, then we will know for sure. Be back in, in a few.

tgranthamfd

Ok, Toro #1599 belt advertised @ 139" measures 141 5/8" on the outside, straight out of the bag, with no streaching, and measured with a cloth sewing measuring tape. So I presume the advertised measurment is of the inside diameter on the Toro / Wheelhorse belts.

Prater

Thanks Terry, I will see you tomorrow.