smoreau

520 Tach issues with a Kohler 18 magnum

Martin

just a small update on my search for a tach for the c125. i picked up a 520 tach off ebay a week or so ago, said it wasnt able to be tested, so i bought it condition unknown. well hooked it up and its perfect!!!

now i just need to make up a small harness for it and install it in the hourmeter side of the dash...

i cleaned it up, didnt like the black bezel, so i carefully scraped the black paint off and polished it to match the ammeter.....

here it is....

post-4321-0-07645200-1348014798_thumb.jp

after its installed i will post in my c125 thread about the install.......

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Very nice touch with the chrome bezel. As long as you are using an 18 segment stator, the gauge will have no problem in its new home.

Martin

chuck, i thought id take a chance and try it out. it was a gamble if the gauge even worked, so im a happy man right now, hooked it up and works great!!!!

so i guess i have a gauge that works and the right stator. i should try it out on the c160 as well....

Save Old Iron

another interesting article on a free software program to check engine rpm via microphone hooked to a PC

http://www.tunelab-world.com/rpmsound.html

something for me to experiment with this weekend.

might be interesting for pullers to check on your competition's RPM's via sound waves !

Save Old Iron

chuck, i thought id take a chance and try it out. it was a gamble if the gauge even worked, so im a happy man right now, hooked it up and works great!!!!

so i guess i have a gauge that works and the right stator. i should try it out on the c160 as well....

Just a side note to your successful install ...

You have added a sensitive piece of electronics to an older tractor. The condition of the battery becomes a player in the well being and long life of the tach. Lead acid cells are incredibly good electronic "shock absorbers" when attached to a power line like the 12 volts in a tractor system. Batteries at the end of their lives lose the ability to absorb electrical spikes on the 12 volt supply.

Try to keep jump starting the tractor to a minimum, especially connecting / disconnecting the jumper cables with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

Once you start adding sensitive electronics into the mix, it is better to charge the battery than to jump start the tractor. .

If you are going to weld any part of the tractor, remember to disconnect both the (+) and (-) leads from the battery.

• Like 2

bds1984

I just tried a 520H tach on my C165 after reading through this and it worked perfectly. Now I just need to find extra space for all my gauges!

smoreau

Old thread still alive 😃 planning to put one on a 417 soon.

cleat

I have had a Wheel horse 520 tach in my Ford LGT165 with a Kohler 16 HP K series engine for several years now and it works perfectly.

Cleat