WheelHorseSteve

Front Rim Offset

WheelHorseSteve

Hello --

I'm looking for a set of the wider (5-3/8") front 8" rims. I have posted in the Classified section a number of times and have been looking at CL/eBay for weeks now... there aren't too many "Wheel Horse" sets that come up in the wider size. Do any of the other brands that use the 16x.6.50-8 front tire size have the same offset? I know the back size of the rim has a long center hole "support"... which I believe moves the wheel further out. I see tons of sets from the other brands but am concerned they have a different (more neutral) style.

Does anyone know what others might work?

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Kelly

I have not found any other brands that are a direct fit for a WH, I've had some WH tractors come through here that had other brand rims on them, and fit, if you don't mind a 1" of spacer or a stack of washers, the center tube is not as long as a WH, I did find tube frame Jacobson/Ford front rims are the same but the ones I have are the narrow style, I have yet to pick up a set of the wide rims off any of those tractors to see if they will work.

kpinnc

I've used spacers several times with great results. Since most old axles have a worn groove at the back anyway, this moves the bearings out onto a round section of the axle too. TSC carries these in the 3-point parts area. They are about 1.5 inches long, which cut in half was enough for both front wheels. About $2 for the part.

I run about 100lbs of suitcase weights on the front of this tractor, and the spindles have held up just fine.

muledrive129.jpg

WheelHorseSteve

Thanks guys! (good feedback/advice!) So to confirm - rims are measured bead-to-bead? I know the wider wheels are 5-3/8"... what are the narrower 8" rims measuring in at bead-to-bead? If anyone has a spare set of the 5-3/8" rims for sale, please PM me!

Kelly

Measure rims inside of bead to bead, wide are 5 3/8" narrow with out going and looking are 3 1/2" Sorry can't help on the wide rims, till I part some runners out if they don't sell soon.

WheelHorseSteve

Thanks Kelly! Are the spindles the same length? (or would I need a longer set of 3/4" spindles to accommodate the wider wheels?)

ol550

PM sent. :handgestures-thumbup: Mike

Why are there lines thru this post ?????

gei1

could you tell me what size those three rib tires are and where you got them also the cost thanks

SPINJIM

I've heard that wheel barrow rims can be cut down to the 5 3/8" axle length. The shape is slightly different, but they take the same tire size. Personally, I prefer the spacer used with the shorter WH axle length. I'm using a piece of 3/4" PVC tubing painted red, along with an extra washer to prevent wear on the PVC. Good luck, Jim

Kelly

The wide rims and narrow rims from the late 60's up use the same spindle, just the rim shell is wider.

Gei1, I'm pretty sure the tri ribs on Kevins tractor are the firestone 16x6.50x8 they are the only brand that makes that size, I have a set, and have another set on order but they will not have any till April, cost is $170 with shipping.

WheelHorseSteve

The wide rims and narrow rims from the late 60's up use the same spindle, just the rim shell is wider.

Gei1, I'm pretty sure the tri ribs on Kevins tractor are the firestone 16x6.50x8 they are the only brand that makes that size, I have a set, and have another set on order but they will not have any till April, cost is $170 with shipping.

Very helpful, Kelly! I didn't really want to change the spindles unless I had to... this is great news!

As for Kevin's tractor, I'd put money on those being 16x6.50-8 Firestone tri-ribs from Miller Tire. They mount on the wider rims and are a great tire... albeit a bit aggressive when the ground is wet (ruts!)... and expensive. I'm going to put 16x6.50-8 Vredestein v61s on the rims I'm looking for so I need the second wider set of rims for those. Should be interesting comparing the two under different conditions...

gei1

Kelly thanks for the info on the three rib tires Greg

jay1

I have not found any other brands that are a direct fit for a WH, I've had some WH tractors come through here that had other brand rims on them, and fit, if you don't mind a 1" of spacer or a stack of washers, the center tube is not as long as a WH, I did find tube frame Jacobson/Ford front rims are the same but the ones I have are the narrow style, I have yet to pick up a set of the wide rims off any of those tractors to see if they will work.

Does this Jacobson/Ford wheels fit a B80 (1976)?  WH/Toro does not have the wheels anymore for the B80.