Sign in to follow this  
hym123

c120 engines

hym123

I have a 1974 c120 tractor looking to rebuild engine they came with both12 horse kohler 301 and tecumseh i believe i have the tecumseh hh 12 horse the engine cover has no kohler marking on it and i notice that the exuast out of the kohlers come out on the corner of the block the motor i have the exaust comes out of the end of the block can some one help me identify also were is the best place to by full rebuild kits thanks Eric L.

gregg'shorses

If you can post a photo, it will be easy.

racinfool40

Model# 1-0495 is the only model for thr C-120 auto with a tecky.. the rest have Kohlers. Look for the tag and check your model #..if it's not the model I listed post whay Model you have.

MIKE.

hym123

ok will take pic and post thanks

AMC RULES

Hey Hey Hym... :WRS: Eric.

hym123

Here is the pic of engine the tractor model # 10356 9 sorry the pics will not down load says fill to big not sure why

racinfool40

Model # 1-0356 is a 1974 C-120- 8-speed with a K301-12 hp... if it still origional that is..

MIKE

Martin

:WRS: . if you want to post pics in your message you need to either upload them to an album on here or photobucket first and then you can post the link to the pic.

do you have a photobucket account or an album on here? the album on here is the quickest.

hym123

wheel horse tractor model # 10356 9

can whlvr

sure looks like a teccy to me

hym123

Yes mike it is a 1974 i bought about ten years ago fully restored and did research on model number when i was buying parts i believe this motor is a tecum just would like to rebuild it completly it has very poor power so i figured i would take apart and rebuild it and the carb i rebuild jet ski motors so thought about rebuilding tractor is it very hard?

sure looks like a teccy to me

ya thats what i thought thanks

tunahead72

Eric,

First, welcome to here, lots of helpful folks hangin' around!

I'm not one of the experts here, so I'm just wondering, before you get too far in your thinking -- is it possible your engine would respond to a thorough tune-up? Or have you been through that already?

hym123

Eric,

First, welcome to here, lots of helpful folks hangin' around!

I'm not one of the experts here, so I'm just wondering, before you get too far in your thinking -- is it possible your engine would respond to a thorough tune-up? Or have you been through that already?

thanks for the responce I have been playing with carb for years cleaned air filter and such seemed to get worse slowly has not power could barly climb hill with a load than it know won't run figured it has never been rebuilt should I first try rebuilding carb. I think something broke inside

hym123

Is the motor worth rebuilding? I believe so or do I find a used tecum, or find a kohler

tunahead72

... I think something broke inside

Other than the poor performance, why do you think this? Did something happen in particular? Are there any unusual noises?

I hope this doesn't sound like a confrontation, I'm just trying to help you focus on identifying the problems and decide what to do next. :)

I'm not clear on something -- does the engine run at all now?

hym123

Don

... I think something broke inside

Other than the poor performance, why do you think this? Did something happen in particular? Are there any unusual noises?

I hope this doesn't sound like a confrontation, I'm just trying to help you focus on identifying the problems and decide what to do next. :)

I'm not clear on something -- does the engine run at all now?

no I don't mide the questions asked great help no it stoped running and I can't seem to get it to run at all. Played with everything. I don't know. A lot about these motors but I do rebuild jet ski motors. I could do a copresion check to starti guess just seemed to to be very poor power even if I adjusted carb to run at a very high iddle

tunahead72

Hmm... Personally, if you haven't heard anything scary with this engine, I would try a thorough tune-up before I started tearing it apart. I don't know much at all about the Tecumsehs, so somebody else will have to help you with the specifics. But an engine is an engine, the principles are the same, and if you have experience with jet ski engines you should be able to handle it.

I would start with the basics -- oil level, spark plug, air filter, check for fuel/spark/compression, all the usual stuff. If those check out OK, it might be time for a carburetor rebuild (and maybe some other fuel system work as well).

There's a Tecumseh service manual that might cover your model (HH120?), it's in the Files section of the forum:

Check it out and start exploring, and let us know what you find. :popcorn:

JC 1965

Hope you can get it running. :WRS:

hym123

Hmm... Personally, if you haven't heard anything scary with this engine, I would try a thorough tune-up before I started tearing it apart. I don't know much at all about the Tecumsehs, so somebody else will have to help you with the specifics. But an engine is an engine, the principles are the same, and if you have experience with jet ski engines you should be able to handle it.

I would start with the basics -- oil level, spark plug, air filter, check for fuel/spark/compression, all the usual stuff. If those check out OK, it might be time for a carburetor rebuild (and maybe some other fuel system work as well).

There's a Tecumseh service manual that might cover your model (HH120?), it's in the Files section of the forum:

Check it out and start exploring, and let us know what you find. :popcorn:

Thanks for the help i will start with the basics what happened was the tractor was running i was in the barn and when i came out it was off did not here anything brake but could not get running again not surw what went wrong but going to find out i will keep you posted

Rooster

I know exactly what went wrong! It died....lol

techs are known for Carb, fuel pump and ignition issues. Start with those, like Tuna said the basics, fuel & fire first, then timing.

hym123

I know exactly what went wrong! It died....lol

techs are known for Carb, fuel pump and ignition issues. Start with those, like Tuna said the basics, fuel & fire first, then timing.

Yes it did i am going to start on it now were is the best place on line to buy a complete carb rebuild kit?

racinfool40

Argh!!! Had the same thing happen to me 4 years ago on a 1970 raider12 with the same motor you have...Went to the garage fired it up and let it run awhile because it was winter..and was my snow blowing machine..Came back in the house for 10 minute's went out and Mine was dead also...So I started searching Just as you are..Had spark..But something wasn't right..Stuck my thumb over the spark plug hole and cranked her over...No Compression and had blown the rod!!!!!! :banghead: Neeldes to say The Tecky went Bye-Bye and I put on a Kohler..And never looked back...I hope yours is something simple...

MIKE..

bowtiebutler956

C-120 is a great model. Love em. :thumbs: Welcome to red square. Hope you get her running soon.

hym123

C-120 is a great model. Love em. :thumbs: Welcome to red square. Hope you get her running soon.

ya i love tractor been great i have snow plow,grader blade ,michigan front attacment yard broom and single stage snow thrower just not sure what happened might just find kohler and replace teky this site is wonderful thanks Eric

hym123

If i find a kohler engine will any k 301 model fit my c120 even if from a cub or graves or jacobson and such, any help would be great