smoreau

Its ALIVE!! 520 project

Wheel-N-It

417-A MADE IN AMERICA decals???

Didn't I just bring home a 1986 417-A ???

be still my beating heart.................................................

Hydro

I gotta say that is one impressive tractor from one end to the other! It just makes me wonder what could have happened with Wheel Horse if they had only a portion of the ideas that have come from this site!

dclarke

Nice job Scott!! Those rear tires are awesome. :thumbs:

Jake Kuhn

Those decals look great! :handgestures-thumbup:

Rollerman

Looks great Scott :handgestures-thumbup:

Been wanting to do the big tire mod on one of mine.

smoreau

This week I worked and getting the tach working and with the help of save_old_iron (Chuck) I was able to get it working the way it should. Here is a link about the tach

The nice thing so far is that all the gauges and idiot lights but the seat switch and neutral safety switch are the only two not working. The air filter switch is hooked up but the nipple is broke off and I have a plan for that later.

Today I concentrated on the steering, It had a lot of play and I needed to do something. The engine was all bolted in already and I should have addressed this before I installed it, but that is just how things played out. So I snaked out the gear reduction block and cleaned it up. :disgust: Some one filled the hole ware the steering shaft comes through the dash to the block with jb weld. I chiseled out all the jb weld to asses the damage. Not good :disgust:

011-5.jpg

012-4.jpg

Then I looked at the shaft as it went into the block

014-4.jpg

And the center shaft had some ware on its shaft also. Not to bad hear, but needed some attention.

013-4.jpg

So after some thinking and thinking and some more thinking I went to my local hardware store (Bolts and Beer, get em hear) And picked up some brass bushings and headed over to Toms to fix this issue. First I welded up the hole in the block so it was solid and re-drilled it to put in a bushing. Drilling through weld es a lot tougher then you think! I went through several drill bits and resharpened every on of them as I went from 1/4" to 9/16" It took about a hour to get this hole right. Next I sized the bushing to fit into the hole and tapped it in.

015-4.jpg

Next I welded up the the steering shaft end and took it over to the lathe to turn it down to fit the bushing. That went very well as it should have.

017-2.jpg

Then I chucked up the the center shaft so I could turn down where the gear was welded on by the factory so I could shim it correctly for an good tight fit to the steering wheel shaft.

016-3.jpg

Know I have all the things I wanted to fix, fixed. I took a .020 shim on the center shaft and the mesh of the gears was perfect! I reinstalled the gear redution block and steering has less play then My 96 520H with 305 hours on it. :dance: So back out for a ride around the yard and I am very happy with this fix! :happy-partydance: While outside I give it a bath as I did get it very dirty last weekend and cleaned up the shop while it was drying in the wind. Know its time to get the hood painted and installed.

AMC RULES

You're being entirely too productive, too early in the season Scott. :ROTF:

• Like 1

smoreau

I got the hood painted this week end and mounted it up today on the tractor. I must say for a rattle can paint job on this tractor, It sure looks good! hear are the latest pics

022-5.jpg

021-3.jpg

020-2.jpg

019-3.jpg

018-3.jpg

I can't wait to get the decals put on this!! But I need to wait for at least a few weeks. Paint will be soft for a while, But it is in a 70deg room, It should be fairly quick compared to being out in the cold weather.

• Like 1

Duff

Rattle can? Nice work, Scott! Wow!

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

ben06351

WOW looks sweet!!

1maidenfan

I got the hood painted this week end and mounted it up today on the tractor. I must say for a rattle can paint job on this tractor, It sure looks good! hear are the latest pics

022-5.jpg

021-3.jpg

020-2.jpg

019-3.jpg

018-3.jpg

I can't wait to get the decals put on this!! But I need to wait for at least a few weeks. Paint will be soft for a while, But it is in a 70deg room, It should be fairly quick compared to being out in the cold weather.

Have to agree with you, the paint job looks good :handgestures-thumbup::handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:

smoreau

It was nice outside today and I decided to get some of the horses out of there stable for some fresh air :thumbs: So i snapped some pics and hear they are

023-5.jpg

024-5.jpg

The little 66 ranger is next on the refreshing up list

025-5.jpg

Spring is coming and I cant wait to get the deck out and mounted to its new home on my new to me 86 417A

026-4.jpg

And my 96 520 still hasn't gotten a real work out yet. Maybe next winter :icecream:

027-4.jpg

smoreau

Pic of the tractor with the decals on and a link to the loader build

6yjupuju.jpg

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 3

312Hydro

Wow Scott! You really created a nice tractor. From the tires to the lift lever everything is well thought out.The Kohler looks right at home and I really want to see how you build your 3 pt. Took a look at your loader project and it's another quality build. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright: Can you tell me what the outside wheel width is? Did the offset change on the wheels to get them to fit? Again , nice work! :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

smoreau

Out side width is 42" and the rims are from Miller tire. They were blank 12" rims and I welded in new centers at 2" I think. The 3 point may not happen for a while. one step at a time. The hole project is over 2 years in the making.

• Like 1

rexman72

how many projects do you got going

smoreau

how many projects do you got going

Well lets see :scratchead:

loader project with power steering

rebuilding a KT17 II for a tractor I haven't even picked up yet

Install new rings in the 875

rebuild a snow cab frame for my blower tractor

restore my c160

repair the back lip of my bathtub trailer

refresh the engine on my 417 v blade tractor

and on and on with what ever comes next LOL

• Like 1

312Hydro

Thanks for the tire info. That would fit between the 48" Sd but the tires might hit the deck wheel height adjuster. I'd need to work on it,but those tires look great. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

smoreau

I can not use a deck with tractor. I tried a 48" and I couldn't raise the deck at all without hitting the tires. 42" was just as bad.

jackhammer

Fantastic lQQking tractors  

Nice job

rexman72

hmmm all those projects should keep you busy for a few months