Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

I've given up on the engine swap!

kpinnc

Well, I've tried everything I know of, and I can't make this work without cutting the hood. I just can't bring myself to do it!

My 867 is complete, I just though a tiny little tractor with a big 14 horse twin would be pretty cool. That big motor sure looks neat up there, and the moldboard plow on the back just looked great with it! Trouble is, I can't make the driveline pulleys line up without offsetting the engine to the point that I would have to cut the hood out on one side.

Anybody got any ideas? I only need about 3/4 of an inch. The breather on the Briggs is the 'high spot". It's a Vanguard, not the opposed twin. If it weren't for that, I'd be in great shape! <_<

Kevin

nylyon

Which side would the engine need to be moved to? If it has to go to the right, perhaps you can fab up a pulley extension to move it out a bit. If it to the left maybe you can fabricate something to raise the front of the hood to allow the clearance, or like Eldon, get another hood and make the cut.

kj4kicks

Well, since Karl drug me into this one (LOL)....

If additional height will help you, unbolt the front hood hinges and add some spacers.

If you need some width, you can bow the sides of the hood out slightly without hurting anything. Block of wood inside and out. Attach a C-clamp, and pull up.

If all else fails, mark the hood with a Sharpie, send it to me, and I'll cut it !

Seriously, though, I know how you feel. If I wouldn't have had a "junker" hood to play with, cutting it up wouldn't have been easy.

If I can help, give me a shout.

Eldon.

Buzz

You've come this far, don't quit now. I would try to find a hood from a donor tractor, there should be a lot around. Your tractor takes # 5465 hood assy. The same hood was used on the 605, 606, 607 ,655, 855, 656, 856, 857, 867, 877, 1045, 1055, and 1075 tractors. I'd ask around on all the forums or groups you belong to and see what's available.

kpinnc

The trouble is the width of the engine is kinda huge! I've been really careful with this little project, as not to modify the original tractor. No holes drilled, nothing welded on extra, and no cuts. Man I gotta tell ya, the tractor looks like a little monster without the hood on it! This engine is nearly level with the top of the gas tank! And because it's a twin, it purrs like a kitten!

I made a plate out of 1/8th steel, drilled for the mounting bolts, with studs welded into one side so I wouldn't have to drill the frame. Maybe it's overkill, but for me I'd rather "bolt on" than modify, especially on this tractor. The 867 was the only short frame produced with an 8 speed, and it was only produced for one year, so it's kinda special to me. I only decided to use it because I thought it would look cool with the big motor. Trying to out-do Dale's 'Tall Girl, I guess... :D

I made a new battery box, and even put a motorcycle style skinny battery to get it all to fit. Quite a bit of sqeezin' has gone into this... This tractor was completely restored minus buffing the hood out. I have all the decals, added a clevis hitch and new cable, tri-rib tires in the front with 23x8.50x12 ags in the back. I mean it's a real looker :P . Wheels have been sandblasted and re-painted the correct cream color, and the chassis blasted and re-painted too. All automotive paint, with an airgun. Don't mean to brag, but she's kinda sharp!

Sorry for not posting pictures, but my camera is not working. My two year old thought it made a good sound when bounced on the floor!

In all honesty, the whole idea came from more of a "I wonder if this engine would fit", and went from there. I have the original k181, and she's a real good runner. I picked up the Vanguard twin for free (thanks to my boss), and it's even a close match on the paint color. The engine is new, and has been in storage for some time.

Anyway, the drive pulley is out too far if the engine is mounted so the hood will close. If I move it over to the next holes (there are 8 in the base of the engine, instead of four), the hood hits the breather, which is on top of the engine.

If I can find another hood, I was thinking of making a "blister" on the side to go around the breather. Otherwise, I'm all out of ideas. I had thought of making a wider belt guard, extending the driven pulley on the tranny, and moving the idler out. I only need just over a 1/2 inch. But, then I'd have to notch the rear fenders to close over the belt guard.

6 one way, half dozen the other. AARRGGHH! :(

Kevin

kpinnc

This isn't my tractor (mine looks MUCH better than this thing), and my engine is a v-twin, not an opposed twin, but you get the idea. I took the pic from Ebay. BUT this is the exact same problem I have, and with an even shorter frame tractor. Just take about 4 inches out behind the engine, and that's pretty close to what I'm working with:

2669_11.jpg

I'll get pics of mine up soon.

Kevin

kj4kicks

Hey Kevin, If you can find a spare hood, I still have part of the original 520 hood that I cut the louvers out of. I'm thinking you could use the bulged out sides, and weld them on to a stock hood that had the sides cut out. That would give you about 1.5" per side of additional width, and still look close to stock. No ugly notches, etc.

I could slice them off the hood, and ship them pretty cheap.

Eldon.

dunk50

Hood, who needs a dang hood??????

kpinnc

Thanks Eldon, I'll definately see if I can find a spare hood.

Dunk50- I've often thought the same thing, especially with THIS project! :D

Kevin

Greg B.

Kevin,

A long time ago, before family, I had a 34 Ford that looked just fine without a hood. The gap was pretty full of big block Ford, though! :D

Greg B.

WheelHorse_of_course

Maybe you are over thinking this?

How about modifying the air filter assembly? After all, the goal is to keep the tractor as original as possible, but mods to the engine should be ok, right?

Nearly any air filter would be acceptable, just so long as it seals properly.

Another option is a custom manifold.

Good luck.

kpinnc

Greg, I've thought about it, but it just won't look right to me. I've seen some that do, but this just isn't enough motor for it. I'd need some chrome or something too! :D

WHOC- I was thinking the same thing, but the breather on this engine would be hard to modify, and getting a filter in it afterward would be tough. Now the manifold, THAT is an idea. I'm gonna have to piddle a bit with that! Thanks!

I did finally get some pics! Not the best on earth, but you can at least see it:

m071.jpg

m069.jpg

The battery setup- Made alot of room for me. you can see the "adapter plate" under the engine here too:

m070.jpg

Thanks for all the input!

Kevin

Greg B.

Kevin,

We can have fun with the rod tractors, but this is a legitimate suggestion. Edlebrock sells a low profile, triangular air cleaner. it would require a modified base plate to mate to your carb. From what I've seen of your work, that would be a piece of cake.

Now, if you have thos valve covers, fan shield and fuel tank plated. add some polished stainless fasteners and baby Moons, you're startin' to cook!

Greg B. :D

kpinnc

Thanks Greg!

Got any idea where I could find one of those air cleaners? I'm ashamed to say so, but I know nothing about aftermarket car parts. My "project budget" has never allowed much modifying the Tacoma!

Actually, I have new Wheel Horse chrome hubcaps in a box in the attic. Never mounted them- kinda saving for a rainy day thing. All of the bolts on the 867 are stainless, though not polished. Getting the tank plated would be OK, but the valve covers are aluminum alloy. Can aluminum be chromed, or would they simply have to be polished?

Maybe you shouldn't answer that :D ... I might take this little thing too far. I won't be able to afford restoring another tractor until 2009! :P

Kevin

Greg B.

Kevin,

Sometimes you can find these air cleaners at auto parts stores ( Discount, Advance etc.). Any good speed or hot rod shop should be able to put you on to them. Worst case, Google Edelbrock. Last one I bought, about three years ago, tore up a $25.00 bill.

You can have the valve covers polished and clear anodized. They will really look sharp. Aluminum can also be anodized in many colors like red, blue, black and green. Oops, maybe not green... :D I have heard that aluminum can be chromed, but I don't have any first hand experience.

A ceramic coated exhaust would be a nice looking, as well as practical touch. It would probably outlive the grand kids!

Greg B.

Curmudgeon

Don't forget about good ol' cheap parts company J.C. Whitney. Look over the motorcycle section as well. You might find some of Tall Girl's parts are from there!!

Dale

kpinnc

Good point Dale- Thanks!

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

Another option is an extender that mounts to the existing manifold and moves the carb to outside the hood.

I think it was the old GT14's that had a pipe like that because there was not room between front of the engine and the hood for the carb.

Might be easier to do than an entirely new manifold.

Of course the other option is to leave the crb and manifold and make an extender off the top of the carb to a filter assembly elsewhere. Could be plastic like on most cars these days.

combatmp29r

Hey Kevin,

I ran into about the same issue with the Commando V18 I'm building. I used a hood from a B series as it was about an inch taller and longer than the stock hood.

Then I added blocks to the front and cut and folded the hood to match the dash angle in the back.

Here is a picture of it early onCommandoV18hoodfab4.jpg

I've added steel to cover the tank sides and dash sides like a stock hood. That way I didn't really have the cut look like the one you posted above. I had to change my air cleaner too, but what I did wouldn't help your situation. I took off the stock one and modified a Kohler 6" DIA x 2" tall air cleaner to hold a 4" tall element and prefilter. Heres a pic

CommandoV18aircleanermods.jpg

The stock one was too wide for my hood not too tall. Hope atleaste some of this helps

Joel

BPjunk

Welllllll cutting up a good Wheel Horse hood is blasphemy to me BUT I will tell you how I got around this problem when the 633 diesel BEAST was built. The 7.5hp Hatz diesel stand 5 inches over the hood line of the 633 and .... well a good bit on the left side. :P

Two rusted and cut up round hoods were found, one had the grill bent to smitherines and the other had a custom hole for a spark plug. The two good sections were spot welded together and then cut out for the engine. Does this hood look like it came from the factory ..... nope but nobody will complain you commited blasphmey! :D

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1198972515.jpg

kpinnc

Thanks Bill. The BEAST has always been quite the mod to me. Whole lotta' motor you got up there! :D

The 867 still sits in my shop, exactly as it's pictured above, waiting on a decision from me. If I run across another hood, I may just finish it. The K181 for it is also done, so it's just a matter of making up my mind. It looks nice too:

IM000631.jpgIM000630-1.jpg

If I had been thinking ahead, this would've been finished one way or the other anyhow... I've got a parts tractor I'm thinking of using the Briggs twin on. Who knows? :P

Kevin

Rollerman

Kevin you think that K181 looks "nice"? <_<

That sucker looks brand new or like a museum display to me! :P

Those old 867's are pretty cool & rare birds...if you have one complete I'd keep it that way & shoot for the parts tractor.

That be a tuff fit in a short frame, the long frames have a taller hood & may be an easier fit.

Just ideas & I know you mentioned that it wasn't a permanent fab with cutting & welding involved :D

C 195

I've had to do this before to fit a 20hp command into a Raider without cutting the hood.

Go to Lowes, home Depo etc take a small peice of 1x4 flat duckwork to drop and move the filter back under the hood block the end off and use a briggs 397795 filter It's a flat 4inch filter

Just a thought :D

T-Mo

C 195,

Welcome to the site. Your first post :D I hope you post more. Again, welcome to the site.

kpinnc

That sucker looks brand new or like a museum display to me!

Thanks Stephen. I put quite a few hours into that old K. Someone swapped the carb out on it, but I can live with that. :D

Kevin