Sign in to follow this  
dustycarter

Homemade Cultivator Plans Needed

dustycarter

Well, needless to say I am going to have to make a cultivator for my 312-8. I am planning on doing a 10 acre garden this year and am going to need it more than ever. I plan on spacing my rows at least 36'' apart maybe 40'' so therefore am needing some ideas on what to make to put behind or even under my tractor. I would like to make something that doesnt require much welding. I have access to a drill press but welder isnt so easy. If anybody knows or has some pictures/plans of something please let me know. It would really save my back and save my poor little tiller alot of work. Thanks for all the help! Dusty

CRE1992

If you plan on doing 10 acres, you might want to look into a bigger tractor. No doubt in my mind that its possible with a wheel horse, but it is going to take forever.

Nick

You can buy the agri-fab cultivator at Home depot or amazon for $149. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors-lawn-mowers-riding-mowers-riding-mowers-attachments/agri-fab-sleeve-hitch-row-crop-cultivator-178874.html

Agri-fab manual PDF showing how they are put together. http://www.agri-fab.com/manuals_partslist/45-0264.pdf

This is the Brinly Cultivator but not many pictures. http://www.brinly.com/gardening-equipment/cultivators/index.html

dustycarter

First of all, thank all of you all for the responses. And as far as the wheel horse goes, I am just using it to get between rows so I can make the rows as small as possible. And bigger tractors I have access to a john deere 5500 cab tractor, another john deere loader tractor and 2 smaller cubs. But honestly I dont want to spend all that money in diesel if I dont have to.Id prefer $6 in gas for one day as compared to $40-$50 in diesel everyday.I know it may sound crazy to you all but these things drink fuel. Plus I love working the WH It really is fun to do. But hopefully I can get this built by the end of the week and try it out. Thanks again for your alls help. Dusty

squonk

I have a sleeve hitch Brinly cultivator that I'm going to be selling. It's all apart as I had it sandblasted and now it has a coat of primer on it. I was going to paint it this summer and sell it at my local steam show. Still needs new carriage bolts yet as the old ones are rusty. I'd like $85 plus shipping. Here are some pics of it as I got it, and some others so I could see how it went back together. PM me if interested Mike

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

baerpath

. But honestly I dont want to spend all that money in diesel if I dont have to.Id prefer $6 in gas for one day as compared to $40-$50 in diesel everyday.I know it may sound crazy to you all but these things drink fuel. Plus I love working the WH It really is fun to do. But hopefully I can get this built by the end of the week and try it out. Thanks again for your alls help. Dusty

One of my neighbors uses 5 WH's in the garden (doesn't like taking the time to change imps) Bought a small used 12hp Kubota diesel and started using it instead of the WH's for some of the heavier stuff (plowing tilling and prep work), He claims the Kubota paid for its self in two years. And now hes saving money over running the WH's everyday. Just something to think about.

dustycarter

. But honestly I dont want to spend all that money in diesel if I dont have to.Id prefer $6 in gas for one day as compared to $40-$50 in diesel everyday.I know it may sound crazy to you all but these things drink fuel. Plus I love working the WH It really is fun to do. But hopefully I can get this built by the end of the week and try it out. Thanks again for your alls help. Dusty

One of my neighbors uses 5 WH's in the garden (doesn't like taking the time to change imps) Bought a small used 12hp Kubota diesel and started using it instead of the WH's for some of the heavier stuff (plowing tilling and prep work), He claims the Kubota paid for its self in two years. And now hes saving money over running the WH's everyday. Just something to think about.

Now I was looking at a yanmr over in virginia on tractor house. Its a ym2000 and he wants $2200obo for it. i figured Id offer him $1800 because its pretty beat up and the muffler is broke so i dont know if water got down in the engine. But I also want to use this wheel horse because it is smaller. Now ive got some questions, since your buddy used WHs, did he use all 5 on top of the Kubota or just the Kubota itself? ANd how much diesel would that Kubota or that yanmar use? Im worried about me having to get a cosigner on this diesel. Thats why I prefered the WH. But I woudl definetly considergetting one if it woud help me in the long run. Thanks, Dusty

dustycarter

I have a sleeve hitch Brinly cultivator that I'm going to be selling. It's all apart as I had it sandblasted and now it has a coat of primer on it. I was going to paint it this summer and sell it at my local steam show. Still needs new carriage bolts yet as the old ones are rusty. I'd like $85 plus shipping. Here are some pics of it as I got it, and some others so I could see how it went back together. PM me if interested Mike

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1079.jpg

Hey mike. Well I couldnt figure out how to PM so I had to do this. That cultivator is what I am needing. Do you happen to have the sleeve hitch for it? I have not any hitch for that cultivator. Plus how much would shipping be to 37890 from wherever you are at? Thanks, DUsty

squonk

Dusty, I don't have the clevis hitch to go on your tractor. I connect it to my 704 that has a slot hitch and I made an adapter. There are :wh: clevis hitches on E-bay all the time that will fit your 312. How were you planning on hooking up a homemade one? I can get an estimate on shipping tomorrow and let you know. Mike

Butch

10 acres? You'll never get done with a Wheelhorse. You'll need something commercial size. 10 acres is a lot of ground.

baerpath

He still uses the WH's in the garden just less now that he has the Kubota. All I can tell you is he wishes he had bought the Kubota years ago. I'd use what you have to start and keep an eye out for a little larger diesel at your price. I know the Kubota was $400 and the injectors needed rebuilding, around 90 bucks but he knew how to do it himself

Duane

squonk

Dusty, for what it"s worth, it's an extra $35 to ship to you. Mike

can whlvr

ok this isnt gardening but i have a bobcat with a 33 hp kobota deisel,it uses less fuel than my c160 and can do ALOT more work for that fuel,but i see your point for maintaing the rows a horse will work too,and youll get plenty of seat time

dustycarter

Well if a smaller tractor is what the guy has and if he wishes he had it years ago then I am leaning to that too. 10 acres is alot of ground to cover. I might even have to hook a plow or tiller up and not be able to because the Wh isnt big enough. So I guess I ahve kind of leaned away from it. I also talked to some people here locally an dtehy said not to even mess around with it and to eitehr get that cub going or buy a little kubota or chinese tractor. And if a 33hp kuota diesle gets better fuel consumption than a c160, then I can only imagine what a little 2 cylinder would burn at half throttle. I could go half a season on $40. SO as of right now I am going to hold off on the WH. Thanks Mike for the help. I might still get that cultivator from you just for the heck of it.

Dusty

dustycarter

Dusty, I don't have the clevis hitch to go on your tractor. I connect it to my 704 that has a slot hitch and I made an adapter. There are :wh: clevis hitches on E-bay all the time that will fit your 312. How were you planning on hooking up a homemade one? I can get an estimate on shipping tomorrow and let you know. Mike

As far as the htch, I was planning on running 2 pieces of flat steel to the hitch hole on the tranny and taking the actual hitch off. But that is just one of my hairbrained ideas. I wasnt going to buy a clevis or sleeve hitch. But I figured that I could put down pressure on it too if I connected a actuator to the frame and to that plow all in a small space.