Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

Road Trip to Bring Home a 417-A = SUCESSFUL

Wheel-N-It

Hey Guys, remember back on the 13th I wrote about the road trip I took to bring home a 416-8, only to come home empty handed?

Well that was a good thing afterall because today I drove about 145miles to Unionville NC and returned with a nice, one owner 1986 417-A.

Short story is the original owner died about six years ago, friend of the deceased man recently got the 417 running for the wife who was ready to sell it along with some other stuff and move on with her life.

Anyway, talking with them about the 417 I found out the drive belt to the hydro pump had finally aged out and broke. Remembering that DUKE has a 417, I gave him a call, and he found the Gates part number on his belt, relayed that part number to me, I got my friend Bob at the local NAPA store to cross reference it to their number, bought it, and took it with me today. It was a perfect fit!

THANK YOU DUKE!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!! :USA:

Anyway, that got the Horse moving under its own power. It has a hydro deck lift and a 42" side discharge deck. If any of you guys need a deck, let me know. I have a 48" side discharge deck that I will replace the 42 with.

It has a nearly new NAPA battery. The Kohler Generation II twin cylinder engine cranks right up and runs good. Seat is perfect, lights work. I did break a tailight lens when a gust of wind caught the seat/fender pan and blew it back on the lens ( I had the seat pan unbolted to get the drive belt on the hydro pump ). Thats OK, I have a spare. It has the louvered hood and chrome/polished air cleaner assembly. The rear wheels have covers, the front do not. Even got the spare key and owners manual.

I know you guys want pics. I am working on how to get some pics on this thread for you. I want to show you my 312-8 also, and the 36" tiller that goes with it.

So anyway, I'm happy now. And oh yeah before I forget, the nice people sold it to me for $500.

I thought that was very fair. I can sleep good tonight.

Van

• Like 1

kpinnc

Glad to hear you found one Van!

farmer

And the moral is..

Patience pays, your happy, the vendor's happy, when you use your 'new' tractor, you'll be pleased you passed on the previous one. :thumbs:

:wwp: of your steed please. :thumbs2:

dclarke

Looking forward to the pics, sounds like a good deal.

smoreau

You will be very happy with that 417A. I have two of them and don't think I could part with ether of them. They are a great combination of power and fuel usage compared to my c160 and my 520. They have the same eaton 1100 trans as the 520, and a very powerful KT17 series II engine that will do anything you ask of it. Good luck with a great tractor and enjoy!

AMC RULES

:woohoo: Congratulations Van, can't wait to see your :wh: herd. :wwp:

Ken B

Congrats on the new purchase Van! You will really like that tractor. That series 2 is a good motor, they sound sweet too! I have a brother that lives in Statesville, N.C. He works for Freightliner trucks.

rexman72

good luck with the 417 and thats a great price.

Wheel-N-It

Hey, I just posted (in the engine section) what I hope is not a stupid question. In a box of spare spare parts there is a Kohler brand oil filter, but quickly looking at the engine (before heading to work) I could not find where the thing screws on to the engine.

Question is;

Does this engine even have an oil filter? Surely is does, but if not then I have learned something new:)

Van

can whlvr

its great to hear you got what you wanted so fast,it pays to walk away when your gut says dont do it,and ya we want pics

546cowboy

Pretty sure the Series II had an oil filter. That was one of the problems with the Series I they didn't have a filter. I bought a C-175 last year that was supposed to have a Series II but all it had was the sticker on the sheet metal, no filter.

pfrederi

Pretty sure the Series II had an oil filter. That was one of the problems with the Series I they didn't have a filter. I bought a C-175 last year that was supposed to have a Series II but all it had was the sticker on the sheet metal, no filter.

What was the spec number of the motor you bought? 24300 and higher it is a series 2...not all of them had filters

dkopp

Is the Series II the same as the Magnum 18 Twin or is that a totally different animal?

Don1977

According to the Toro drawings the 1986 417-A doesn't have a oil filter. It shows a plug to fill the filter hole in the cover on tht right side..

pfrederi

Is the Series II the same as the Magnum 18 Twin or is that a totally different animal?

They are very similar, sharing many parts. The Magnum has a magneto ignition system.

Kingwood990

When Van emails me the pictures I will post them for every one.

KC9KAS

Good things come to those who wait!

COMMANDO1

Patients is a vertue (spelling?) congrats..........I NEED PICS SOON.

Wheel-N-It

You guys are Great! Still in the office. Hopefully I can get some pics this evening if it is not too dark. If not, don't worry, I will take some this weekend and text or e-mail them to Matt. He has offered to post them for me.

varosd

Congrats on the find! NC is looking better and better for WH!

smoreau

Ok the 417 does not have a oil filter, and the difference between the series I and series II is the crank shaft is cross drilled to feed the rod journals on the series II, Series I had a drip holes from the camshaft the drip on the rods and were not pressure fed.

mrocket49

The oil filter might be for the hydro unit. You're going to love the KT 17, plenty of power and good gas economy.

pfrederi

Ok the 417 does not have a oil filter, and the difference between the series I and series II is the crank shaft is cross drilled to feed the rod journals on the series II, Series I had a drip holes from the camshaft the drip on the rods and were not pressure fed.

Another difference Series 1 and Series 2 (at least for Wheel Horse) Series One had Ball bearings for the crankshaft, Series 2 had sleeve bearings for the crank and added a thrust bearing to handle the PTO end Loading

jay in nc

glad to see you waited and got the one you wanted. bring any un wanted parts to the m & g , hopefully you can swap for other stuff! looking forward to seeing you and your tractors. jay

bowtiebutler956

Glad to here about your new horse. Can't wait to see pics!