Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

differences between the B's and C's?

rustyoldjunk

i have been noticing little differences between my C160 8 speed and my C161 auto.look like the 161 might have about an inch longer wheelbase,and the fenders are are an inch higher off the tires.then theres the obvious,like the 161 has a rubber insulated engine cradle,the fender pan is also rubber mounted,and the sheetmetal is wider and more plentiful around the lower dash area.i got me to thinking about a question that has crossed my mind a time or two and i haved seen an answer to....what is the difference between the C and B series ? they look the same at a glance.so WH experts i want learned.

Teddy da Bear

I would like to know also.

I have a C-100 and a B-100. The only difference I notice is the tire size and therfor the height.

rustyoldjunk

dont some or all of the B series have the same size wheels as the C series?

TT

I do know that my '75 B-80 had 22 X 7.50 - 12 rear tires, but it did have 16 X 6.50 - 8 front tires.

I don't recall of ever seeing an electric PTO clutch on the B series tractors, and I also believe the B's had the lighter 4 pinion differentials in the transaxles.

refracman

Bs had a shorter frame and hood, smaller back tires, at first they were 4 speeds and then only 8 speeds, first couple of yrs only 8 and 10 hps and like TT said the lighter duty rear ends, after the first couple of yrs they became the same frame as the Cs and uped the hp

kpinnc

Not sure which year, but one of the B-80 8 speeds used the 5091 rear end...

No idea why, because that was the big 8 pinion version with 1 and 1/8th axles.

Kevin

Teddy da Bear

dont some or all of the B series have the same size wheels as the C series?
Both my B-80 & B-100 have smaller tires than my 2 C series tractors.

Not sure which year, but one of the B-80 8 speeds used the 5091 rear end...
Both my B's have the 5091 transaxle. But You can never tell what was mixed and matched at the dealers or private owners for that matter.

Nick

The strange model B is the B-60. It is a long frame, has the heavy 1-1/8 axle transmission but only a rope start 7hp engine. B) I thought about all long frames B or C had the same wheelbase. But there is an the exception to every WH rule though. :whistle:

Rollerman

Bs had a shorter frame and hood, smaller back tires, at first they were 4 speeds and then only 8 speeds, first couple of yrs only 8 and 10 hps and like TT said the lighter duty rear ends, after the first couple of yrs they became the same frame as the Cs and uped the hp

This is odd...I have parted more than a few 4 speed B-80's & always found the frame to be the same length as any other long frame.

Actually used a B 80 hood & frame on a C-120 8 speed that needed a new hood & frame.

I'm curious what years the medium length frames were "the short long frames"...maybe have to do some detective work on the Toro MPV. B)

Okay...back in from MPV land.....

The 74 & 75 B-80's used a 103969 frame & 103825 hood... where as the 76 B-60 & B-100 used a 103563 frame & 9699 hood.... :whistle:B)

I was always under the impression they were just a no frill stripped down C series. B)

No lights, no cigarette lighter, seat springs optional, basic seat, cheesy small 22" back tires....this being the horizontal shaft versions too...ie B-60, B-80, & B-100's

I know I have an 8 speed B-80 here & a 4 speed of the same year...the 4 speed has the 1" axles while the 8 speed has the 1 & 1/8"

Kelly

Ok I have a B-100 hydro I think a 74 with out going out and looking, I have a B-80 and a B-60 both are parts tractors but both look like long frame machines???? and all are plain janes with the small rear tires

charger10us

I sold a 1975 B-100 that was a shorter frame than my 1968 Charger 10 !!

TT

My book lists a 1975 B-80/100 at 43

Teddy da Bear

I have found some differences between my B's & C's. while trying to attach my sickle bar mower.

The fork that attaches to the holes (that extend down near the transmission) would not line up. I could not raise the fork and was getting interferance.

So I measured the width of the B frame & the width of the C frame. The C is 8" wide and the B is 7 inches wide in the frame. Also....the holes on the frame that mount the rear fork of the SBM on the B are "blocked" on one side by the bottom edge of the belt guard. The C's rear mounting holes extend further down or the belt guard is further up. Do't know which is the case.

The sbm apparently was made to fit on the C and not the B without more extensive modifcation.

I have run the SBM on the B-100, but only attached on the front and one side on the rear.

TT

Frame P/N 103563 was used on the following models:

CasualObserver

Notice, those are all 8 speeds and Autos.... only the earlier (74 and 75) 4 speeds were the shorter ones.

TT

You are exactly correct, Jason.

But..... If you look at Mikes list of tractors in his signature, all of his B & C tractors should have the same frame.

CasualObserver

that's why we all love Wheel Horse... the interchangability! :whistle:

that's all I got.... must have been some dealer repairs/swaps in the past? B)

DMESS

74' and 75' B-100 AUTO have the shorter frame length also. Wish I still had my 74' to take some measurements. I can't imagine the width being any different. B)

TT

Here's the usage list for the P/N 103969 frame:

DMESS

Well, this certainly helps us break down the confusion between what has and doesn't have the intermediate frame length. Now someone needs to get to the bottom of the width mystery. I don't buy them being different.

TT

And apparently here is where the two inches are missing from..... right in front of the engine.

051308022.jpg

I sold my '75 B-80 at the show or I would be able to measure and compare. I do know it calls for the same P/N 7473 drive belt as the Raider 10/12's and the 310/312/314, etc. gear drive tractors use.

CasualObserver

Well, I've got my 74 B-80 frame sitting in the garage. I 'haven't cut it up yet.... I'll try to get a measurement before I leave tonight.

Nick

Guess I never heard that the B-100 had the medium frame. B) That or I forgot like so many other bits on information ive read on the Yahoo groups over the last 9 or so years.

Im not sure about that lost 2" on the front but I can tell you a 10hp kohler will bolt into a med. frame commando 800 and the hood with hinge from a C-160 bolts right up to give it more space. :whistle:

10002.jpg

commando004.jpg

DMESS

That's quite a hybrid there Nick!

Teddy da Bear

Now someone needs to get to the bottom of the width mystery. I don't buy them being different.
The tape measure don't lie....But if you have a dingbat running that tape measure.....like me....you get wrong answers. Dmess......you were right not to "buy it". I remeasured and it is the same width as the others.

I apologize to everyone for posting missleading information.