Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

K341 Balancing Gears

mattd860

Ok i'm not looking to open up a can or worms here. I'm rebuilding a K341 and I well aware of the discussion between keeping and removing the balancing gears and I've decided to keep the gears. However, should I replace the original gears & bearings with a new gear & bears or keep the old gears but replace the bearings? How do I even tell if the old gears/bears are worn? I want this job done right without any doubt in my mind although I don't want to spend $80 per gear & bearing if I don't have to :)

rmaynard

I constantly read and re-read Brian Miller's website on rebuilding Kohler engines. I have a lot of faith in what he says.

Brian says to remove them.

I'm sure that there will be many replies to this thread with varying opinions, but this is my 2 cents worth.

MaineDad

Do you have the Kohler balance gears timing tool? It's much more complicated rebuilding these with them in. It's personal choice. I choose to leave them out.

Jim_M

They're not worth the effort.

refracman

My freind has been rebuilding Kohlers for over 40yrs and has always kept them in.

He only replaces the bearing if sloppy or the con rod went and always replaces the snap rings. To set the gears he uses a peice of square steel stock inbetween them to set them. He has taught me his way and its rather fast, easy and fool proof.

Make sure you get Kohler bearings, they are made specificly for kohler, we tried useing the same part number from the same manufacturer and they will not work, same with the snap rings.

Flatheadpuller

Leave them out and you wont have to spend any money on them. It doesnt need them and your likely not going to be able to tell it from when you had them in there. If you take them out inspect the shafts there on. If the shafts are questionable dont put the gears back on them. Your better off leaving them out. One less thing to worry about. They simply dont need to be there.

bowtiebutler956

I rebiult my K-301 not to long ago, and I left the balance gears out. It does not vibrate any more than it did before and it runs great. :twocents-02cents:

whc160

I am planing on putting them back in the K341 that I am rebuilding. They are in good condition & have made it 36 years. Refracman I would like to see how you time them. I have been trying to find a tool, but have had no luck.

gregg'shorses

Down load a service manual from www.kohlerengines.com. Section 12 Reassembly has details on how to do it without the tool. Pretty straight forward when I did My K341 a few years ago.

Paul D.

What Greg said. I rebuilt my 14hp. This past summer. Follow the directions I the manual for doing it without the tool. It took me about 15 minutes. I figured they put them in there for a reason. Otherwise why would they have added extra cost to making them.

Buckshot 1

when I rebulit my K321, I took Brian Miller's advice and left them out. It shakes a little bit more at idle, but on full power it is smooth as silk. But to each his own, some do and some do not, after all the money that I put in this engine, I was not going to take the chance of the balance gears coming loose and destorying the engine. Just my 2 cents.