Terry M

Terry,s 606 restoration

Jake Kuhn

She is looking really good terry! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

Terry M

It's sure feels good to get them back on four wheels Terry. Hope yours progresses faster from this point than mine has. I really like your choice of tires. :thumbs: What's next?

Well Denny, trying to decide if I should start on the engine or continue building the tractor itself. I'm leaning more twards finishing all the sheetmetal first, Then the engine......We'll see...Thanks, I really like the tires too. :handgestures-thumbupright:

bowtiebutler956

Wow, that looks great Terry! :text-datsphatyo: I noticed the sun was shining in the pics, and the grass is green, so I guess things are warming up some for you. :woohoo: That :wh: really is looking great, and I agree with Denny, the ags, and tri ribs really look sweet! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Terry M

Wow, that looks great Terry! :text-datsphatyo: I noticed the sun was shining in the pics, and the grass is green, so I guess things are warming up some for you. :woohoo: That :wh: really is looking great, and I agree with Denny, the ags, and tri ribs really look sweet! :thumbs:

Thanks Matt, Those tires really make a tractor look good! Hopefully the weather stays nice so I can keep going and maybe someday finish the 606 restore. (before the snow flies or I might think about taking over some space in your shop ) :)

bowtiebutler956

Your welcome here anytime Terry :thumbs:

Terry M

Took some time today to do some more painting. Will have to use some elbow grease to buff out the imperfections like cotton wood and a couple small bugs and do some small paint touch ups.....But I think It's ok. added a little x-tra gloss hardener to see if I could get a little more shine out of the paint...We'll see.

If I have some time in the next few days I'll maybe do some more assembly work.

post-5864-0-14716900-1338850751_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-29169700-1338850841_thumb.jp

• Like 5

dclarke

Looks good from here Terry. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Looks Fantastic Terry!! :woohoo: Glad to see your back at it, and that is going to be one fine looking :wh: ! :thumbs:

Terry M

Thanks Denny and Matt, Put the stuff in the garage for the night and noticed a big run on the front right part of the fender pan :angry-banghead: . Oh well, I'll try to buff it out or something. The paint job is so-so , but what the heck, better than what it was. :unsure:

Jake Kuhn

Looks great Terry! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Denny and Matt, Put the stuff in the garage for the night and noticed a big run on the front right part of the fender pan :angry-banghead: . Oh well, I'll try to buff it out or something. The paint job is so-so , but what the heck, better than what it was. :unsure:

Been there done that Terry, often. :banghead: You should be able to buff it out, but if its large you can wet sand, then buff. I'm sure its going to look great! :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Looking good Terry. Hope to see it (and you) at LeSeuer this year. Thanks for stopping by the other day... it was nice to meet you face to face! :thumbs: Stop by anytime you're in town.

312Hydro

Your tractor looks great and I now know where to look for tires from reading your build. :thanks: That's a great gloss on your parts.

Terry M

Looking good Terry. Hope to see it (and you) at LeSeuer this year. Thanks for stopping by the other day... it was nice to meet you face to face! :thumbs: Stop by anytime you're in town.

Thanks Jason, I hope to make it to LeSeuer and maybe the tractor. Maybe I can get Denny"s Old hh60 going so the 606 is a runner!, We'll see.......

Terry M

Your tractor looks great and I now know where to look for tires from reading your build. :thanks: That's a great gloss on your parts.

Thanks for the compliment 312hydro, That painting sure is hard. If your good at it thats one makes you one talented person!

Terry M

Forgot to ask.......anybody know where I can get a set-screw for the in-put pulley on my 5053 uni-drive trans? Can't find one at the local hardware store....They said it's a #7 and the only #7's they have are ones with metric threads.......???? :scratchead:

Any advice appriciated, thanks

Martin

terry, what is it with that hardware store and their 'metric' everything? havent you dealt with that sort of thing before with someone from there?..........

the set screw is a 1/4-20 x 5/16. you should be able to pick up one of those. dont know where the #7 comes from?

in the ipl of the 606 manual it calls out as

909849-5 Set Screw 1/4-20 x 5/16

fyi, this same part number comes up in the 1057 ipl as a nylok set screw. so you could find one that has a locking patch on it too if you wanted.

ive found that the standard set screw with the cup point works just fine though. or you could put some non permanent locktite on the threads..

that hardware store looks to be one that i would work out exactly what i need before hand ( most of the fastener sizes are on the ipl of the tractor manual) and just go in there and ignore all help and just get what you need and get outta there!

tractors looking real nice by the way......... :thumbs:

Terry M

I know what you mean about the hardware store, :angry-banghead: but it's really my only local ave. for those sorts of things and I sometimes seem to be a little challenged in this area. I'll try again but I know they tried 1/4 inch or at least they say they did when I actually broght the pulley in. I'll go in with the info you gave me. That seemed to work last time. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks again martin. :)

Terry M

Put a few things together the last couple of days. can't get too much more done until I blast and paint the hood,and a few small parts and get a few of some other small parts plated. Had to put the seat on just to see how it looked.

post-5864-0-48074100-1339108942_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-97101800-1339108985_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-93390800-1339109022_thumb.jp

• Like 3

bowtiebutler956

:scared-eek: :scared-eek: I think I may go blind from the sun reflecting off that :wh: !!! That looks great Terry, and the seat looks great too. :thumbs: I think I may have to come visit you now Terry, it looks like nice weather, its been almost 100 for the last several days now, and we've been getting some showers, so its extremely humid too! :banghead:

Terry M

Thanks Matt, It looks better in the pictures but it is looking better than I thought it would. Things may get busy at work and kids will be out of school so I may have to park it in the corner for a while. We'll see... Yes Matt, I bet Texas is very hot this time of year ...Won't be long things here will get really sticky too! :happy-bouncyredfire:

Terry M

Martin if your out there check out the pulleys, I pulled out my tap and die set (it's an inexpensive one) and tried to see if I could find a size to chase the threads. What I found is the pulley in question(red one) is a 5/16th" and the original cracked pulley(rusty one) is the 1/4" size you refered to. Still don't know where they got the #7 metric.??? :scratchead: Why my replacement pulley is 5/16? Heck if I know....maybe at one point in its life the threads were damaged and someone oversized it. had to show you this so you don't think I'm nuts :)

Thanks again for your assistance!!!!!!

post-5864-0-10136600-1339117185_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-23450800-1339117397.jpg

Martin

terry, i think the red one at some time was tapped out to 5/16. the oem was 1/4. i dont think you have a screw loose or anything....(a set screw maybe?) :ROTF:

the oem pulley on your tractor is a different part number than what i have on my 1057, and the setscrew on mine is positioned in the belt groove and not out like yours on the edge of the pulley. on the 606 ipl it shows the setscrew going into the belt groove as well, so not sure if you have an oem pulley or not. i dont know enough about these things.

just for interest sake does either one have a part number cast into them?

my ipl on the 606 is a bit blurry but i think the number is 1611?

my 1057 pulley is 5425.....

Terry M

Yes martin, they both have 1611 cast into them. The painted red one was given to me by Denny clark. don't know what it was off of. he may have said but I may have forgot. my rusty one is off my spare 5053 trans which came from a 857 It's cracked in the back. my original 606 5053 trans pulley is broken still stuck on my original trans. :banghead:

Martin

thanks for the info. well i guess thats one way to tell pulleys apart from 5053 and 5058 transmissions other than the part numbers. i guess the picture of the pulley in the 606 ipl isnt really 100% accurate......