Terry M

Terry,s 606 restoration

dclarke

Plow looks good, Terry. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Shynon

Plow looks great, now back to the horses under the hood. Coming along nicely. Only 14 days till show.

Tom

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

That plow looks fantastic on there Terry!! :bow-blue:  Glad to hear you've had good help with the engine. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

Terry M

Well I have good news.  The 606 runs and I drove it around the yard several times...but , It died again.    worked on it all day and couldn't find anything wrong with the ignition system.  so I took the carb apart and it was kinda dirty. so I cleaned it up and wham!!!  she started and ran good!!!    sound like a carb problem...yep!  so why did it stop...I'll show you what going into the brand new Tecumseh carb.

Filter Looks dirty huh!  my guess is its sand blasting media.  the tank was full off it when I assembled the engine so I vacuumed and rinsed it out many times and put it in a 175 degree oven to dry it out so it wouldn't rust on the inside of the tank.   well, next day off I'm taking the carb apart again to see whats in it.   My guess is its full of something....  we'll see.

post-5864-0-93270900-1378347239_thumb.jp

Terry M

Also, the five minutes I ran this tractor the muffler turned a bronze color.   is this normal for silver muffler paint to burn up this quick???  just curious.  or is this thing running too hot.   it had lots of power the few minutes I drove it around.   

post-5864-0-98632400-1378347928_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

Glad to hear you got it going Terry! :thumbs:  That is definitely some nasty stuff coming out of the tank. :scared-eek:  As far as the muffler goes, you have to cure high heat paint correctly, or it will burn off just like regular paint. I use header paint on mine, and I start them up, and let them run about 30 seconds, then shut them off to let them cool. I repeat this process several times, letting the engine run a little longer each time. After its cured properly, the paint won't discolor, or burn off. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

dclarke

Sounds like you've found your problem, Terry. Hope it's running strong soon!  :thumbs:

• Like 1

prondzy

Good to hear, you have a nice tractor and now a good runner

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Yay!  Glad to hear it Terry.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

:USA::wh: Hi Terry looking Good I also have a 606 I am working on Just waiting for parts.I hope It goes well for you. These are kind of rare as expland to me me  because most people would opt for the electric start instead. T/Care    Gary     B........

Edited by T1257
  • Like 1

Shynon

Nice to hear no more :banghead: . You have one nice looking tractor.

• Like 1

Terry M

Thanks everybody!  I really am pretty sure that the carb is the problem...but not sure if its 100% of the problem.  we'll see.  once I get it up and going I'll take some pics and maybe a video. 

Terry M

:USA::wh: Hi Terry looking Good I also have a 606 I am working on Just waiting for parts.I hope It goes well for you. These are kind of rare as expland to me me  because most people would opt for the electric start instead. T/Care    Gary     B........

Thanks Gary :thanks: ,  Post some pics of your 606 when you get a chance.  always love to see another 606 :handgestures-thumbupright: .

Patrick Reese

Terry, that 606 looks almost identical to our Commando 6. Including the use of a Tecumseh 6hp engine. I know the Commando has electric start but I wonder what differences led to the new model name of Commando for one year only?

Good luck with your project! It will be great to seeing it come together.

Retired Wrencher

Also, the five minutes I ran this tractor the muffler turned a bronze color.   is this normal for silver muffler paint to burn up this quick???  just curious.  or is this thing running too hot.   it had lots of power the few minutes I drove it around.   

Hi Terry in my book that is a color u can never get with paint it looks natural to me. I will posts some picks of my 606 today if I can.  Great job so far.      Gary    B....

Pullstart

Thanks for bringing this one back to the top!  Magnificent work!

dclarke

I like that stack, Terry!  Great job on the tractor!  

Shynon

Looking good Terry, hope to see it make a parade lap this year. :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1