Terry M

Terry,s 606 restoration

Terry M

I was worried about the rear fender pans condition, but after sand blasting it actually looks pretty good. going to blast a few more parts tonight.

post-5864-0-82300600-1331242556_thumb.jp

wheelhorse656

good glad to see you already into the blasting part! Are you going to use primer filler or are you going to use regular primer and paint? Anyways looks good!!!

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:

Terry M

:) not sure yet...just just trying to disassemble and do some blasting until the weather warms up. Going to work on the trans this weekend and some more disassembly stuff. more pictures to come.... :wh:

wheelhorse656

Great cant wait to see it finished!!!! Looking fordward to the other pictures!!

I sent you a reply P.M.

ben06351

WOW Looking Good!!

Martin

terry, looking good on the blasting!

just one thing to keep in mind. that blasted metal will start to rust soon if you dont cover it with some sort of protectant. primer will get you more time but is still porous. it will help a little if you keep the parts covered at least with some paper or something that wont sweat. dont throw any plastic over them.......

to buy us some more time at work, we usually cover parts with rust preventative or at least some vci paper ( with a coating on one side that helps keep the moisture away).

if they are washed after blast, the iron phosphate stage in the washers takes care of protection for a while as well.

low humidity is going to be your friend here, but i wouldnt leave them any more than a week without primer, you may have to go over them quickly again, when you are ready to paint.........

dclarke

That fender pan looks good from here Terry, nice job. :thumbs:

COMMANDO6

It looks like you have a pretty solid tractor to start with (minus the engine and transmission issues)

I am excited to see this one done.

Are you going to work it?

Terry M

Thanks martin, going to prime the parts this weekend and work on the transmission..going to split my new one(trans) to see what it looks like in side. Thanks for the other tips.

Thanks Denny!

Thanks commando6, as far as it being a worker??? maybe, I'm planning on putting some of those farm tires on like bar tread rears and tri-ribs in the front. I have a 32' deck that I 'm getting some parts for next month(Thanks Denny) , a mid mount blade which will be for display only( see picture) and maybe and I hope a front snow blade some day.

post-5864-0-51558200-1331323303_thumb.jp

Terry M

Had to make a tool investment to help with getting those hitch pins unstuck in my two transmissions so I can split them and see what I got. I can't budge them at all!

post-5864-0-07397100-1331335521_thumb.jp

Terry M

Things coming along slow . Nice blades off the mower deck. previous owner said it did a fine job mowing. :huh:

post-5864-0-60265200-1331572237_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-99024400-1331572619_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-54641700-1331572687_thumb.jp

Terry M

Getting close to having everything apart. Front axel king pin is in real good shape,no slop at all. putting all of the hardware in labled snack bags on my workbench(next to the engine) for easy identification later so I know what new hardware to buy when it comes to the future reassembly of this unit.

post-5864-0-65522100-1332294678_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-25118400-1332294738_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-52607700-1332294780_thumb.jp

Terry M

Picture of the 606 about 98% disassembled. Had tires removed from wheels at local BP service station and it actually seemed kind of a tuff job for them to do. I first brought them to my local mower shop but they tried and tried and couldn't get them off. Once you take a good look at the rims they look almond colored. I wonder if thats just old paint or maybe they originally came that color.(?)

The last picture is the transmission that came on the 606(red/left) and the spare I bought(on the right) for this project. Both transmissions are sitting on my "high-tech" trans rack waiting for disassembly. If you notice, the casings are split,ready to take apart, and when I get time i'll lift the deep sides off and see what the insides are like. I'm a little nervous about my spare because when I split the case about 20 ounces of water mixed with oil came out. :handgestures-thumbdown:

post-5864-0-53791000-1332295372_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-02470300-1332295439_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-97695000-1332295500_thumb.jp

Terry M

How things look in my garage right now. frame and some other stuff off to be blasted. Original trans (left) and spare trans(right) opened up. Both really cruddy inside.

post-5864-0-32717000-1332297122_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-66186100-1332297196_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-85606600-1332297237_thumb.jp

Terry M

Better view of the gears. Original trans(right side) looks to have alot of gears ground down. Spare trans(left) not so bad but shows some minor corrosion from i guess.......the water inside. Should clean-up ok and the two should make one good trans( I hope) but I think I might need to find a replacement for a gear that looks bad in both trans.

My next step is to take them both apart and make one. :hide: but first I'll have figure out what I need for new bearings and seals and get them bought.

post-5864-0-52326800-1332298809_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-63044900-1332298866_thumb.jp

Martin

Picture of the 606 about 98% disassembled. Had tires removed from wheels at local BP service station and it actually seemed kind of a tuff job for them to do. I first brought them to my local mower shop but they tried and tried and couldn't get them off. Once you take a good look at the rims they look almond colored. I wonder if thats just old paint or maybe they originally came that color.(?)

terry,

thats probably the original wheel color. the wheels were an almond shade of white. called linen beige.

Martin

im sure the transmission experts will chime in here, but looking at your pics, most of those gears dont look too bad. the angle and closeness of your shots, its hard to tell how much some of them are worn though.

if you are interested heres my experiences with the trans from my 1057, theres a bit of input about worn gears. some of the pics are small, but they will click large for detail.

AMC RULES

There is most probably a macro setting on your camera that will allow you to get close up detailed images of those gears.

Terry M

I'll try to get some better pictures of the gears today. The ones above are from my I-pod. :)

wheelhorse656

Terry looks like good progress.... Cant wait to see the final product of the 2 transmissions steve or mike should chime in soon about the gears. I know the seals and bearings are still availible I think threw toro if you do some searching of this site I am sure you can find them.

Terry M

Terry looks like good progress.... Cant wait to see the final product of the 2 transmissions steve or mike should chime in soon about the gears. I know the seals and bearings are still availible I think threw toro if you do some searching of this site I am sure you can find them.

going to try to get better pics of the gears today.

Terry M

Here are some better pics of the gears on the transmissions. The left picture is the original trans and the right one is the spare trans. The left has more gear material missing and the right(spare) trans appears to missing some material off the big gear in the center of the picture.

To my eyes the spare trans will be the one to fix and install in the 606.

post-5864-0-32962200-1332352659_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-86622100-1332352682_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Terry M

terry,

thats probably the original wheel color. the wheels were an almond shade of white. called linen beige.

Martin, is that a color a person could still find from a paint manufacture( I'm guessing not) or would you just have to pick something close? Do powder coating places have a wide range of color choices or are you somewhat limited on available colors. Just wondering because I was thinking of just powder coating the wheels so that they would be more durable.

Martin

yes they do make a powder almost the same color, well as near as my eyes can tell to at least 3 different sets of wheels that ive done now. we have a 'terex white' or 'oyster white' that i use for mine. i can get the details if you want. guys on here use some of the spray bomb manufacturers paints and have reported good results with color matching. theres a paint recommendation thread on here with the details.............

• Like 1