Terry M

Terry,s 606 restoration

Terry M

I started working on this today and thought I post a few" before pictures" before I post others. This is my first WH restore and the majority of it will be done in my garage so things will be slow going until the weather warms up . Please don't laugh at the after market engine. it runs really well but I'm not sure if other WH tractors will reject it. I haven't decided if I'll keep this engine or try to locate an HH60 somewhere. I picked this one up last year in Manitowok, wisconsin and I think my greatest challenge on this will be overhauling the transmission due to the 3rd gear not working.

Thanks for looking,more pictures to follow.

post-5864-0-35164500-1329847464_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-89017400-1329847539_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-56406200-1329847653_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-63669800-1329847716_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-69531400-1329847845_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-56457400-1329847988_thumb.jp

• Like 1

rmaynard

Looks like you have a good solid tractor to work on. Good luck, and keep the pictures coming. :thumbs:

Martin

terry, looks like a good one to start with. hey if you want to keep that engine for your tractor, im sure you could repaint it and 'disguise' it to make it look more at home. or find an original, its really up to you, its your tractor.

looking forward to seeing your progress as you go......

Terry M

Thanks for the positive note martin. Thats sounds like a good Idea painting the engine! It actually is a nice engine and starts and runs nice. I would need to come up with a new exaust outlet which I think would be easy , it currently blows out under the hood. also I think a remote throttle cable would be nice so it can be controled at the wheel.

I'll send more pictures as things come along, but feel free to comment because I'm always interested in hereing suggestions or ideas. Thanks :wh:

Martin

you need to do something with that air cleaner though............

if at all possible move the air cleaner/carb to a more standard (wh) position so the hood doesnt need to be like that.

post-5864-0-35164500-1329847464_thumb.jpg

Terry M

you need to do something with that air cleaner though............

if at all possible move the air cleaner/carb to a more standard (wh) position so the hood doesnt need to be like that.

post-5864-0-35164500-1329847464_thumb.jpg

That would look nicer, but the previous owner cut a small section from the hood so I would have to repair that . but I think it might be worth the x-tra work!!

Terry M

Martin, here is a picture of the carb on the engine. I think this will be a bigger challenge than I thought. The way it's set up dosen't leave many options.

post-5864-0-34195400-1329865741_thumb.jp

AMC RULES

Humm, bet you could find something here to fab up some type of custom air cleaner assembly for it? :eusa-think:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=mower%20air%20cleaner&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

Martin

or you could keep the carb and air cleaner and fab an inlet manifold for it. keep it short and pointed out front like the kohlers and fab a longer exhaust out the pto side. that would take care of that exhaust problem you have now exiting under the hood.

CasualObserver

Terry, the transmission work is not to be feared. There are several good picture tutorials here on :rs: and the manual is spot on with instructions. First one I ever did was strictly from that book long before this forum existed. Plenty of good new and used parts vendors out there to get you whatever you need. And.... besides... if you get stuck.... that's what the forum is for!

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a nice tractor to start with! :handgestures-thumbup:

VinsRJ

Looks like a nice starting point, good luck with the resto!

dclarke

Terry, I have this engine and a hood from a 606, They"re just taking up space on my shelf. If you can use them you can have them. The one time I used this engine 2 years ago it smoked pretty good, been sitting since then. I won't ship them, I am planning on going to Charlotte in august. Maybe I could meet you there. Just thought I'd let you know in case you're interested. Denny.

001-8.jpg

003-10.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-8.jpg

011-4.jpg

Terry M

Hello Denny! yes I'm interested in a hood and that engine. If your willing to bring them to Charlotte I would be very greatfulll !!!! :happy-wavemulticolor:

Thanks, Terry

bowtiebutler956

This has got to to be one of the best forums around!!! This place has some truley helpful and generous members here. Terry "you da man". :woohoo: Thats what I call helping your fellow members out!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Terry M

Yes,talk about being well connected with nice people!!! :)

Terry M

Terry, the transmission work is not to be feared. There are several good picture tutorials here on :rs: and the manual is spot on with instructions. First one I ever did was strictly from that book long before this forum existed. Plenty of good new and used parts vendors out there to get you whatever you need. And.... besides... if you get stuck.... that's what the forum is for!

Thanks Jason, I actually picked up a second transmission from Jordan in Piqua, Ohio (wheelhorse656) that seems to be in full working order. So between the two I should have anything I need to get it right. any pointers are appriciated. I'll post pictures in the forum when I get to that point.

jusjeepn

Hey Terry, I'd be interested in that fuel tank on Denny's engine! PM me!

CasualObserver

Denny, I'm planning to be in Lincoln toward the end of May... I'd be happy to bring it back up here, Terry can pick it up at my house. I'll PM both of you.

wheelhorse656

Terry I will be watching this post closly!! I cant wait to see it finished!!

Terry M

Terry I will be watching this post closly!! I cant wait to see it finished!!

Thanks Jordan, It will be a slow going but I look forward to it.

Buckshot 1

Am I missing something in this thread? I though a 606 was a recoil start. But the dash shows electric start. Could that tractor be a 656? Or did the PO change some sheet metal around? Either way good luck with your re-do.

CasualObserver

Am I missing something in this thread? I though a 606 was a recoil start. But the dash shows electric start.

606/656 would have used the same dash. 606 would have a on/off key switch, 656 would have a off/run/start key switch.

Terry M

Yes, the key for my 606 is just an on/off switch with a 1 wire terminal that grounds the ignition when the key is in the off position. ( I think thats right??)

Terry

post-5864-0-40160100-1330205374_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Terry M

started taking things apart this week. Most of these photos I took for reference but thought you like to see them because I know everybody loves pictures. If things work out this 606 will be brought back to life being powered by a tecumseh HH60.

post-5864-0-69013600-1331242111_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-60223500-1331242147_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-44198100-1331242190_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-92833900-1331242224_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-42490400-1331242292_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-88209200-1331242350_thumb.jp

• Like 1