Sign in to follow this  
shootinok

Workhorse - Craigslist score!

shootinok

I usually keep a good eye on Craigslist, but have been very busy with work lately. Well - I finally get a breather and I scan the area around me and WOW – a new add!

These are so rare around here that when one does pop up it doesn’t last long. The ad was only 4 hours old.

Anywho – I scored this Workhorse for $100

When I arrived to pick it up we pushed it from his back yard where it has set outside for a couple years. I jumped it from my truck and poured a little gas in the carb just for the heck of it to see if the motor would turn over….

It started right up!

The deck is in pretty bad shape – rusted through in several areas but - I’ll get it cleaned up and see what wonders are in store !!6909476759_0324454721.jpg

• Like 1

Don1977

Looks good for a $100. Patch up the deck and charge on.

AMC RULES

:chores-mop::icecream:

• Like 1

can whlvr

is that the bigg briggs,18 hp,nice score,i love the 50-100 dollar scores,thats all i but anymore,ya they need work but thats the whole idea for me anyway,get a cheap tractor put some time and hopefully not too much cash and get a great tractor

speedyleedy

Great find worth every bit of a 100.00 buck's ! :)

corn53

Man I`m dying to add 1 of those to my collection. Love the paint theme on those Workhorses!!! Nice score.

gwgdog66

I usually keep a good eye on Craigslist, but have been very busy with work lately. Well - I finally get a breather and I scan the area around me and WOW – a new add!

These are so rare around here that when one does pop up it doesn’t last long. The ad was only 4 hours old.

Anywho – I scored this Workhorse for $100

When I arrived to pick it up we pushed it from his back yard where it has set outside for a couple years. I jumped it from my truck and poured a little gas in the carb just for the heck of it to see if the motor would turn over….

It started right up!

The deck is in pretty bad shape – rusted through in several areas but - I’ll get it cleaned up and see what wonders are in store !!6909476759_0324454721.jpg

:woohoo: I'm working on a GT1642 for my buddy right now. Good score :)

bowtiebutler956

Looks like a diamond in the ruff to me. Great find!

Wheel-N-It

A Hundred Bucks and It Runs?!?!?! Excellant Find!

Are you repainting it back original, or going all red?

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a great find :handgestures-thumbup:

546cowboy

Is that an GT1848? I just picked one up like that about a month ago but not for $100. Mine sat outside for most of it's life and has a lot of surface rust. I did get a snowblower and a rear tiller with mine though. Tiller is missing some parts ( got the hitch parts but nothing to make it work ) and I didn't get a deck. Sprisingly charged the battery up and it runs good and the battery stays chaged too. Had three flat tires though.

Leftside.jpg

COMMANDO1

I HAVE A GREAT DECK FOR THAT...REMEMBER I SCORED THE GT 1100 LAST WEEK, IM PARTING OUT,NEED ANYTHING?

Sparky

is that the bigg briggs,18 hp,nice score,i love the 50-100 dollar scores,thats all i but anymore,ya they need work but thats the whole idea for me anyway,get a cheap tractor put some time and hopefully not too much cash and get a great tractor

Looks like its the Briggs 16 with an 8 speed with manual lift. Nice score and agreat price!

Mike................

dwayneGT

Nice! I have a GT 1142 they're great tractors

Dwayne

• Like 1

JackC

That was a great deal and those look great restored.

There were two versions of paint that they used for the big work horse and the nicest was the earlier metallic.

shootinok

OK - A couple months since I found this beauty and I finally got time to get it going.

I had some electrical issues now with those worked out I moved on to cleaning it up and changing fluids etc.

The motor oil looked dark and while it ran, it sounded like it wasn't getting much lubrication. I pulled the drain cap and it looked like tar sludge :sad:

The transmission was the real shocker though -- kind of an orange sludgy mess...

I drained it yesterday and put in 1qt ATF and 1qt gear lube. Ran it around for a little while then got rained out. I drained it again today and it looked darker but still milky yellow, orangey yuck.

So tonight I drained it again and put 1qt of diesel fuel in with 1qt of new gear lube. Will try again tomorrow night to run it around and drain it again. :unsure:

I did replace the boot on top of the shifter, so the water infiltration should be stopped; just need to get it cleaned out now.

Sparky

Thanks for the update. Any pics of it all cleaned up?

Mike...............

shootinok

6841115772_ebe2ca801a.jpg

Here's a pick after I washed it - haven't done any real cleaning up.

For now, I plan on running it like it is. going to call it "Mater" because thats what it reminds me of.

I need to rebuild the engine in "Festus" (the C-121 sitting on the right) and I want to mow with "Mater" until it's done - then it can be his turn for a restore.

Sparky

Nice. I like the Work Horse series. My GT-1642 has a Kohler Magnum 10 transplant.

Mike............

gwgdog66

OK - A couple months since I found this beauty and I finally got time to get it going.

I had some electrical issues now with those worked out I moved on to cleaning it up and changing fluids etc.

The motor oil looked dark and while it ran, it sounded like it wasn't getting much lubrication. I pulled the drain cap and it looked like tar sludge :sad:

The transmission was the real shocker though -- kind of an orange sludgy mess...

I drained it yesterday and put in 1qt ATF and 1qt gear lube. Ran it around for a little while then got rained out. I drained it again today and it looked darker but still milky yellow, orangey yuck.

So tonight I drained it again and put 1qt of diesel fuel in with 1qt of new gear lube. Will try again tomorrow night to run it around and drain it again. :unsure:

I did replace the boot on top of the shifter, so the water infiltration should be stopped; just need to get it cleaned out now.

Might not hurt to run some engine flush through "Mater" to get the sludge out of the engine. I used 1 pint of it in the one I just finished working on, and I was almost shocked at how dirty the clean oil was after idling for 10 minutes.

shootinok

How about some pictures of that one gwgdog66... :banana-gotpics:

kadetklapp

Bought my 84 WorkHorse GT-1800 for $100 US last August. Seemed like a great buy for a running and working tractor. Turns out the motor needs rebuilt, but I still love it. Needs an exhaust valve, carb rebuild, four new tires, new spindles, and paint and decal work.

IMAG0472.jpg

• Like 1

Rooster

Looks like its the Briggs 16 with an 8 speed with manual lift. Nice score and agreat price!

Mike................

Most likely the same engine.

The Briggs "16hp" could've been either a 40 cube or 42 cube engine.

If the model number starts with 42....it is the same engine as an 18 hp.

shootinok

update -

Got the diesel mixed gear lube warmed up then drained it. Then I stuck a compressed air hose in the dip stick tube and blew out all the rest.

I think I got that little problem of water in the tranny whipped.

Next task was to replace the fuel line and the cracked up little fuel filter.

I was having a tough time with the dumb little squeeze clamp on the line to the carb.....

Next thing I know the nipple on the fuel pump broke off in the end of the hose. :angry-banghead:

Well - I went ahead and put on the new seat I bought.

Now waiting on parts.

I must say though; (in my limited time of having this Workhorse actually working) It is a very capable machine!

I guess I expected it to be a kind of a "wheelhorse light" but that really isn't the case. I'd put it up against anything you can buy at the box stores today.

AMC RULES

I'll just betcha...that's why they're called Work Horses. :thumbs: