Sign in to follow this  
JC 1965

Marvel Mystery Oil

JC 1965

I've read that lots of you guys use this in your engines. Does it really work good? Do you also mix it with your fuel? My kohler K-301 holds 2 quarts of oil, how much Mystery oil would i use in that? Any help appreciated.

KC9KAS

According to the MMO web site, it is used at 25% in auto engines.

I have not used MMO, but my guess is that on the container you will find information on how much to use.

JC 1965

The container doesn't say anything about how much to use in small engines. :hide: It just says to use at 20% and it's referring to auto engines. The example is ( if your engine takes 5 quarts of oil replace 1 quart of oil with 1 quart of mystery oil ). Is it the same 20% ratio for small engines? :confusion-shrug: Anybody know?

fordnut

it works good I put about 20% in the oil and some in the gas I put it in my f150 and it increases my mpg a little bit and it makes your exhaust smell minty.

Sparky

What are you trying to accomplish by adding it to the tractor engine? Is it an oil burner or smoker?

Mike......

rmaynard

The MSDS sheet on Marvel Mystery oil states that the contents include:

Less than 75% petroleum lubricating oil and

Less than 30% mineral spirits

I can't see where that is going to do anything for my engine. So I will stick with good old 30W oil in the crankcase, and straight, fresh gasoline in the tank. :thumbs2:

JC 1965

Mike, the engine runs great, does not burn oil does not smoke. I've read posts where guys use it in their engines to keep everything clean and carbon free. That's why i was inquiring about it. :confusion-shrug:

JC 1965

Bob, Thanks for your input. I have always just used 30w oil and fresh gas in all my tractors also. I was just wondering why some guys think the mystery oil is so great. maybe that's why they call it mystery oil. :confusion-shrug:

gregg'shorses

I use about 5%- 10% by volume, a good shot after an oil change.

smoreau

Yup, it's a mystery.

squonk

I add a little to the gas for some upper end lube sorta thing but the real mystery to me is this : Why can't I ever use up a whole bottle of it with out it falling off my shelf and splitting the bottle open dumping it's contents on the floor. Same thing happens with Mequires Quick Detailer. Same stupid red plastic bottle too. :*****: :(:cry::shock::evil: :angry-banghead:

rmaynard
...but the real mystery to me is this : Why can't I ever use up a whole bottle of it with out it falling off my shelf and splitting the bottle open dumping it's contents on the floor?
Yup. That's the real mystery.

sorekiwi

I am not a fan of oil additives, but I do like Marvel Mystery Oil.

I think its basically just a very thin oil with solvent in it to help clean out all the crap in your engine. I use it on most of the new to me tractors to clean up the inside of the engine. I use it for the first few oil changes, and after the oil starts getting clean I usually stop using it.

Where it really excels is on automotive engines, cleaning out hydraulic lifters, oil relief valves etc. Stuff that doesnt apply to our tractors.

I sometimes add it to fuel. On an engine that has been sitting a while I do believe it helps to clean the valve stem and guides. And with todays sh1tty ethanol loaded fuels, I think it might be a good thing to use in the fuel.

Marvel Mystery air tool oil is also my favorite oil for my air tools.

shootinok

I use Marvel Mystery Oil to winterize my boat.

Have done it for years and I love the stuff. I add some to the gas for the long storage and I fog the engine with it. Basically filling the throttle body with it then running it for a few seconds to get it smoking; this leaves a little on top of the cylinders.

In the spring, She always fires up beautifully and runs like a dream.

specialwheelhorse

Yep It's been a mystery for nearly ninety years.

I do use some in lesser amounts than recomended

I'm just old fashioned I guess but my dad recomended

it and was in automotive business his entire life.So I really

respected my dad.He took care of the neighboring

countys school buses. Father in law was head mechanic

at local Ford Merc dealership and recomended it.

It's hard for me to imagine snake oil being a viable product

for nearly a hundred years.

AMC RULES

Ditto, because my Grandfather and Father both recommended and used it too.

Use it faithfully, pull a valve cover, and tell me what you see? :dunno:

Don1977

I use it to keep the inside of the engine clean, but only on engines with oil pressure an oil filters. Like sorekiwi said it would be good for an engine that looks like the oil has never been changed.

Duff

I add a little to the gas for some upper end lube sorta thing but the real mystery to me is this : Why can't I ever use up a whole bottle of it with out it falling off my shelf and splitting the bottle open dumping it's contents on the floor. Same thing happens with Mequires Quick Detailer. Same stupid red plastic bottle too. *****.gif:(:cry::shock::evil::angry-banghead:

Hey, Mike! Are you anywhere near the Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown area.......?????

Duff :ychain:

wheelhorse656

MMO ROCKS :music-rockout:

Wheel-N-It

I've been using MMO for about 25 years. For mowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, etc. I put 2 & 1/2 ounces MMO to a 5 gallon container of 89 octaine gasoline. Then add Stabil, and then 2 stroke oil for those engines. I ran an Echo weedeater 20 years like that before the electronic ignition gave out. The engine itself was runnng great up to that point.

The only motor oils I use are Castrol, Shell Rotella, and Lubrication Engineers. For the Shell and Castrol I use 1oz MMO per quart of crankcase oil. When using Lubrication Engineers Motor Oil, no MMO is required.

Audioshot

For the engine oil I'm using the Rotella 15w40 HD so I don't add anything to that. But, I started mixing a couple oz of MMO per gallon of gas in my 310-8. It seems to start faster and run stronger. I don't know why, but it definitely does. I'm not a believer in additives for fluids either, but there is something about this stuff that works. Hmmmm