Sign in to follow this  
wheeledhorseman

There's another C in my stable

wheeledhorseman

Just added a new steed to the stable - a C-100. Ok I know I haven't made a whole lot of progress recently on the D-200 but this one has a few minor niggles to fix and its both useable and presentable (I think) 'as is'. See what you think.

C100-1.jpg

The paintwork, decals etc are original only the cutting deck has been given a coat of paint.

C100-2.jpg

The deck is solid, no welding, no vibrations - just a hint of bearing noise to investigate.

C100-3.jpg

The seat's got a couple of cracks but very useable, decals are pretty much intact, the Rectifier / Regulator appears to have been replaced with a later type at some point but no charge at present. Hopefully it's just corroded terminals.

C100-4.jpg

Even at the factory they didn't always get the decals on straight!

C100-5.jpg

Made by Amnor in Belgium - can anyone confirm the year for me?

C100-6.jpg

Imported and distributed in the UK by G.D. Mountfield who also issued their own serial number.

C100-7.jpg

The engine runs and sounds great - just has one of those annoying after market mufflers that fouls on the hood when you open it. I'm pretty sure it's the original K241 - didn't spot that the foil was folded over when I took the photo but I'll get the full details to put up tomorrow.

C100-8.jpg

The tractor was obviously well maintained by the original owner - the tranny has the remains of a Toro part number sticker so I assume was replaced at some point. I tried fitting these two attachment devices at the same time on my C-120 but came to the conclusion it couldn't be done - So I'll have to take a closer look as it's obviously possible. The lift cable has been broken off but the conduit is still there so I'll have to get a new one made up I think.

There was an added bonus to the whole deal ......

Wait for it......

C100-9.jpg

:woohoo: I'll be there doing it with the rest of you when next it snows!

That about covers it I think.

C100-10.jpg

Dead chuffed with the tractor :grin: - it looks great along side another C and the snow plow was a real bonus.

That's my son on the C-100, I'm on the older and wiser guy on the C-120

Andy

WH Raider10

Very nice tractor you got there! Looks like the same 42" snowplow I bought last Saturday.

If I search your model number on Toro Partsviewer they say it's a B-100 from 1977? But there is a difference in the model and serial number of the ones that are assembled in Belgium.

meadowfield

Great stuff Andy, it looks like a B-100, and a C-100 ! There is very little difference between the two if you compare. B series tended to be 4 speed, C series 8 speed. Other than that they look pretty identical. I'd be tempted to restore it as a B series just for the uniqueness.... There aren't many about in Europe!

Mark

meadowfield

Just triple checked, number is B-100, but as I said they are the same. C-100 didn't even seem to exist as a model, sub 12hp models appeared to be called b series until the advent of c-85 and c-101.

AMC RULES

Nice :wh: score Andy, I'm kinda sorta worried about you being on that older, and wiser guy though. :scratchead:

:text-imsorry:

wheeledhorseman

This must be another of those Europen model differences. Its a Euro model 71-10K8 branded as 'C series' here but based on the US 71-10K801 which was a 'B' in that market. It has the 8 speed tranny of a US 'C' but only a 10 HP motor of a US 'B'.

Looking at the Toro diagrams it seems likely that by 1977 the implement lift cable wasn't fitted only the conduit. It also appears that it is the correct RR factory fitted by that time. So much to learn when you get a new tractor. :confusion-confused:

Andy

farmer

Glad you got it Andy, ready-to-work, good deck, blade, ag tyres.... you couldn't go wrong. :thumbs:

Now all you have to do is park it away from the workshop, so you don't get distracted from your :tools-hammer:D :tools-wrench: :ychain:

neil

Congrats Andy on the new Horse , looks to be well looked after , even the plough looks like it hasnt had a lot of use.

Roll on Next winter did i hear you say .

pmackellow

Smart looking tractor, well done

My Raider 10 will be left in its working clothes, the Commando will be getting a repaint sometime soon !!

Lars

nice tractors:)

feather20a

Looks good Andy,

I'm looking for a snow plough with a view to taking one of the tractors to Sweden where I would have real use for the plough, maybe the GT 14.

Last winter we had 2ft of snow which meant alot of shovelling.

I,m sure Knusern can understand that.

Good luck,

Jeff

Anglo Traction

:thumbs: Good Haul Andy ! .Look's pretty tidy .....Don't start praying or doing a 'Snow Dance' in the Winter now you've got the Blade...... don't want too much Snow down this part of the 'Rock'

The first 2 digits of your 7digit Engine Serial Nbr (behind the Solenoid bracket) should start with numbers between 80 - 89 if it is, it's most likely the original 1977 Motor.

If your planning to use it regularly, maybe worth checking your Rear Hubs which are hard up against the Tranny. I don't think they should be like that?.

Raider10

Cool! Its making us want more! Might need to build more sheds though :eusa-think: Good luck.

wheeledhorseman

Thanks for the approving comments guys - it's always a risk when you buy things without seeing them first but this deal seems to have come out ok. To answer a few specific comments and observations:

Pieter-Jan - Yes, the same as your plow in more than just appearance - mine has had the index lever removed and lost as well. Seems to be a common problem. Is it that they simply weren't exactly a lot of use? - or just got in the way perhaps.

Mark - I'm going to keep it just the way it is for now 'in its working clothes' as pmackello put it (sorry haven't picked up your name yet.

I must finish the 'D' before even considering a resto on this one so I've got time to decide what it might turn out as. Look on the bright side - two sets of decals needed.

Rex - You saw when you called in that I am working on the D again, and I've kept it up! More parts taken off, stripped back, straightened and repaired as necessary then painted. Trust me when I say there are just so many more parts to a D. I haven't touched the C-100 for the last two days apart from removing the solenoid to make sure I get the correct number for Richard.

Neil - Next winter will be soon enough for the next snow as I want to check the tractor over before actually using it. If it does snow again before Sping then I might just have to put the blade on the C-120 - the tyres won't be much good but it does have the attachment to take one.

Lars - thanks for the compliment, I'm amazed at how quickly all of the parts for your Suburban are coming together thanks to the generosity of those guys in the US.

Jeff - good luck with the snow plow hunt. If you get one without a lever that will make four of us I think.

Richard - Don't worry, snow can wait tiill next winter now. I'm going to give the tractor a good look over and service before use. I had a quick look today and the hubs seem to be set with the same gap between them and the tranny case as on the C-120 so it could be a trick of the camera angle. For reference though, what should it be?

The engine is a K241 S spec 46636D serial 6161289 so it looks as though, like the tranny, its been swapped out at some point.

Ian (Raider10) - I think it's the longer daylight hours that triggers something in the brain - must have another WH. A nice project for next winter, or something like that regardless of space and storage issues.

Craig - it was very much a tongue in cheek comment - and don't worry I've never been afraid to make fun of myself. Brain says I'm about 40 body knows I'll be 60 this year! Nothing much escapes your attention on RS even in the Euro area - thanks for the input and support.

Sorry if I've missed anyone. I've been good so far - two days and I've managed to leave it alone to get on with the D-200. When there's a nice warm day I will clean it and give it a look over including the charging issue and I might even do something about its eye patch. The original blanking plate is long gone so I might just borrow the headlamp unit from my B-111 for now as the eye patch look is bugging me.

Andy

bowtiebutler956

Love the new horse.

Sparky

Pretty sure all my tractors have that Uni-Drive Patent sticker on em so I dont think the tranny was swapped.

Nice score of course!

Mike..........

Don1977

As for the rear hubs my C-120 has around an inch between the hubs and the transmission case.

SAM_0072.jpg

The axle on the out side is even with the hub on mine.

wheeledhorseman

Thanks guys.

Pretty sure all my tractors have that Uni-Drive Patent sticker on em so I dont think the tranny was swapped.

You're correct Mike, I took a close look and it's a Unidrive sticker so the tranny is more than likely the original.

As for the rear hubs my C-120 has around an inch between the hubs and the transmission case.

Also correct Don, and nice tractor you have there. :handgestures-thumbup:

My other C series is a 120 auto and with the Sunstrand tranny case there is hardly any gap between it and the hub. This is why I didn't spot the issue with the manual C-100 till Richard (Anglotraction) spotted something was amiss. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

I moved the hubs back to where they should be on a manual tranny but noticed a couple of things while they were off. The hubs are the original thin casting with strengthening petals and a single set screw to retain them on the axles. Both had come adrift from the axle and could be moved along it. One hub was a bit of a loose fit on the axle when cleaned but reusable, with the other you could feel a bit of play. The keyways in each hub were also not exactly good.

I drilled a fresh indent into the set screws and put everything back to where it should be to see if it would hold. Took the tractor for a run round a bumpy field - the side with the loose fitting hub had once again come adrift and made its way to the tranny housing. I considered adding a second set screw at 90 degrees to the first like the later hubs have and machining a notch in the woodruff key to hold it all together but at the end of the day the hubs needed replacing so I've obtained a couple of good used ones of the later stronger type.

I was tempted to fit them this weekend but having got this far decided to wait a couple of days to get a couple of new woodruff keys then everything should be good for many years to come. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Andy

wheeledhorseman

Time for a little update which could be called "One thing leads to another...."

The resto will wait till next winter but having given the tractor a fairly thorough checking over before it spends the summer working there were a few other bits to attend to. Rather than continue by tracking down individual parts for it I picked up a C-121 that had already been used as a donor and stripped of some parts. It didn't have its original engine but a flat pan K301 had been slung on the frame as part of the deal which had also been relieved of parts like the air filter, points and coil. Another distraction in that I've started to put bits on to see how well it runs and if its worth 'doing up'.

Anyway, as a result the C-120 now has a working transmission brake, a better front axle assembly and although there were a 'useable' set of wheel bearings on the parts tractor it seemed silly not to replace them with new ones now rather than next winter. Here in the UK, Toro spares are handled by Hayter who were bought out by Toro a couple of years ago. Unfortunately only dealers have access to parts information on the Hayter website and parts can only be obtained through dealers. Whilst handy being just a mile away, my local garden machinery outfit seem to take ages to get parts and on several occasions it was only after enquiring about my order that the parts actually materialised.

Hayter suggested some other agents to try and informed me that to speed things up a dealer can get Hayter to post the parts direct to the customer. I was pleasantly surprised to end up talking to a guy at one of these who knew about old WHs and said that they have some spares on the shelf as they still maintain a few for customers. They didn't have the axle seals I needed but those were ordered that day and I received them from Hayter a few days later - b.... marvelous! (If you're wondering where all this is leading - read on.....it's worth it!)

Today I needed wheel bearings for the C-120 and they had them on the shelf. It's about a 30 mile round trip but rather than getting them to post them I decided to go over to see them and pick the parts up. Their showroom contained mainly large beastly looking plastic bodied Toros and a couple of other makes but there were two little tractors definitely not for sale and I thought I'd share them with you.

DJS1.jpg

DJS2.jpg

Andy

• Like 1

neil

WOW

that is amazing , Andy did you ask any questions about them , were they brand new or are they restored examples .

They look brand new to me

great pics Andy thanx for sharing

meadowfield

What an amazing thing to see on display in this day and age !

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: They are both gorgeous examples...and really do have the factory original appearance. :scratchead:

Would be interesting to know if they are. :popcorn:

wheeledhorseman

They're a family run outfit since 1975. What made me drive over to collect the parts wasn't impatience but a photo of the place on their website.

DJS3.jpg

I wanted to get a photo of that big 'Wheel Horse' hoarding. Sadly the photo must date back a bit as its been painted over now but there were the two 'treats' inside so it wasn't a wasted trip.

I did ask about them and sorry to disappoint but they're 'nuts and bolts' restos by 'Darren' who works there. I didn't ask if Darren was a family member or not.

Andy

JamesBe1

Very nice C-100. Pretty much identical to my C-120. I can help you out with pics and info when the time comes for your resto.

Personally, I find the 8-speed much simpler and nicer than the hydro. Simple toys for simple minds I suppose.