Sign in to follow this  
DJ 310-8

36" RD Mower Deck Spindle Housings...

DJ 310-8

Hi all,

I noticed the uneven center blade cut on my '88 36RD (05-36MR04) mower day before yesterday... While it was raining yesterday, I pulled it off, and found the problem... The alumninum(??) spindle housing has deteriorated to the point, it is creeling over to one side. It's not he bearings..., it is the housing itself... Apparently the acid from the grass has eaten it away... I clean it several times a year, and every two years power wash, and protect the underneath side.. I noticed several years ago the housing's starting to go to pot...

I went to the Toro/Wheel Horse site, and found the parts online there... Like $83.00 for the complete assy. Found another place here in Ohio that has the OEM assy. for like $68.00.

Will probably call Monday, and order the assy. Might as well replace the whole shooting match... It's only about 20 bucks more than just the housing alone... Hate to tear it down till the parts get here.. I think it will last another mowing or so, just looks a little funky..

So how much of a PIA is it to remove the top pulley to get it apart..?? Looks as though it may be easier ( I believe I read it in another thread) to drive the shaft down through with a softer material ( wooden dowel or something similar??)

And if anyone has replaced these, have they gone back to a cast steel/iron type housing..?? Dang..., of all places to save production costs..., this was not the place...

Guess I shouldn't complain, after all it is 20 years old.. But my old 856 w/RD two blade deck is as good as gold underneath..

I'm a newbie here, and found this site while searching for parts..

We've had Wheel Horses since 1965..., and still going strong..!!

Thanks for any help you can provide...

DJ

TT

:whistle: , DJ!

I have found that heat is the answer to removing the newer "stamped" pullies from the shaft.

The pullies on some models were designed to use a split & collared puller like is used to remove power steering pump pullies on some automobiles. (These pullies have a groove machined around the top part of the protruding hub.)

Puller kit on ebay.

It's almost impossible to remove the 4 housing bolts with the pulley still mounted to the shaft, so I'd say you will need to remove it first.

If you have the ability, please post some pictures of your Horses! B)

DJ 310-8

Thanks for the tip... I was thinking of using that type of puller..., which I happen to already have... After seeing the $60.00 + price tag on it..., I'll be sure and be extra careful...

Someday I'll have to take a few pics of the ole' girls... The old 856 isn't pretty... The previous owners garage had a big hole in the roof... ( parked outside, and no cover) But still runs, and works great... It was my main mower, till I inherited the 310-8. I now use the older 'Horse to mow around fence in the horse pasture, before string trimming..

Thanks again..!!

Teddy da Bear

Welcome to the forum JD!