bk-scouter

Blown Bearing In My Snow thrower too...

bk-scouter

I was just reading Paul D.'s post on his snowblower bearing. It must be a Michigan thing this weekend 'cause I lost mine too! And what a racket it made going through the chute. Luckily I found the locking collar about 45' away from my driveway in the snow and not through my siding or a window. Sheeesh !

P2110349.jpg

P2110347.jpg

P2130001.jpg

Anyways, it looks like the bearing with collar (can't tell if it's supposed to be a one or two piece part) could run 50 to 60 dollars each. OUCH. Is there another supplier that could have these things? I tried researching the bearing number online but had no luck. It shows a SKF number of YET 205-014, and then a "T" right on the bearing itself. My S.S. snowblower is model #79360, and this is the bearing on the pulley input shaft (7/8" dia. ), right next to the chain. I saw in a older post regarding a simple bearing replacement for an older style blower that had a 3/4" dia. shaft.

If anyone has gotten around purchasing the Toro bearing (#110569) with something a little more affordable, I would be interested in hearing about it. Thanks everyone.

-BK

Paul D.

I didnt see anything that looked like that at TCS. I would check with motion industries. They. Have a place in Benton Harbor but I'm sure there are other locations. Here's a link

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/index.html

Paul D.

I ended up going with a 1" I.D. Bearing to get the right O.D. on the bearing and then sleeved it with some bronze from the pulley area of TSC. I didn't notice any 7/8 bearings or sleeves but I may have just not seen them but it's worth looking. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

bk-scouter

Paul-

Thanks for the info on Motion Industries. It just so happens that they have a branch warehouse just two miles away from my office in Grand Rapids. I went down there on my lunch hour and the counter person was able to order a matching set including the lock collar. So I ordered two for the same cost of one Toro bearing. They're supposed to be in sometime tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted... :text-thankyouyellow:

-BK

• Like 1

Paul D.

Glad to help. We deal with motion at my work and they are always cheaper and generally faster than anyone else we have found. By the way. Love Grand Rapids. My wife and I spend a weekend there every march to get away for our anniversary.

bk-scouter

late update:

I had gone in there to pick up the new bearings and discovered they ordered non-lub parts. So they ordered another set that came in on last Friday and they look good. No snow in the forecast makes it seem not as critical to get back to fixing up the blower, but I will very soon and I'll let you know how it all goes. Thanks.

-BK

bk-scouter

I was able to use the new bearings and lock collars just perfectly. Here are some pics....

P2200036.jpg

Here's a Timken box with number in case anyone else needs to get theirs replaced too.

P2200037.jpg

Cleaned up the end of the shaft and ran an emery cloth over it.

P2200038.jpg

Installed the inner retaining plate and tapped on the new bearing.

P2200041.jpg

Installed the outer retaining plate and shot some grease into her to make sure it was full.

P2200045.jpg

Fastened the collar lock on the outside, reconnected the chain and relubed it and it's all set to go.

P2200047.jpg

Just have to wait for the BIG snow now ( yeah, right....)

I noticed that these bearings have outer flanges that are an offset or concentric design in relationship to the shaft that they attached to, along with the inner flange of the locking collar too. Does anyone know why they are this way?

P2200042.jpg

Thanks.

-BK

• Like 2

Butch

Ebay had that model number. $14 to $18.

Paul D.

The locking collar is off set as well. So that when you put them together and tighten the set screw on the shaft the bearing can't spin on the shaft causing wear.

bk-scouter

The locking collar is off set as well. So that when you put them together and tighten the set screw on the shaft the bearing can't spin on the shaft causing wear.

So should I rotate the collar until it's tightened down on the bearing flange, then tighten the set screw?

Paul D.

I wouldn't be too concerned with that. It would only be able to rotate a slight bit and it would tighten itself. It's done that way so if the bearing is not tight on the shaft it won't spin there instead of where it's suppose to. If you had to persuade the bearing on in the first place than it's a non-issue. Now let's just hope for enough snow for you to try it out before next year. Looks like you've got it whipped though.

Rooster

I thought that held the shaft in place? What keeps the shaft from moving around?

Paul D.

The set screw does hold it in place as well. His question was why the bearing was not concentric. The collar and the bearing will lock into each other to keep the bearing from slipping on the shaft.

Paul D.

In my haste to give you a quick answer I gave you an inaccurate one and I figured I would correct myself before someone else does it for me. Yes. You should tighten up the collar. If you notice there is a small hole on the side. That is for using a drive punch to tighten the collar against the bearing. You should tighten it the direction it will be rotating when the blower is engaged. Sorry about that.

• Like 3

bk-scouter

His question was why the bearing was not concentric.

Yeah, that what I meant, NOT concentric ...

-BK

bk-scouter

Thanks Paul. I will be sure to do that before I'll put it use. I wondered what that blank hole was in the collar.

-BK

Lagersolut

Thanks for the pics of the Timken bearing replacement - you saved me 50 bucks .

doc724

Tractor Part Mart has that bearing for $14.28 last time I looked.  I need to order one and replace it now while the weather is warm. :-)

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Not sure which bearing is being discussed here but they did change. They went from 3/4" shafts to 7/8" shafts.

GRA014RRB looks like it would fit a 7/8" shaft (14/16"=7/8") but just guessing.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

shallowwatersailor

Just an FYI: when reassembling the bearing and flanges to the housing, sandwich the bearing between the flanges and bolt the flanges to the outside. The PO of the snowthrower that I bought two years ago had a bearing that I had to replace because the flanges were mistakenly installed wrong. It was installed with one flange on each side of the housing allowing the bearing to wobble and not support the drive shaft.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

Lagersolut

Not sure which bearing is being discussed here but they did change. They went from 3/4" shafts to 7/8" shafts.

GRA014RRB looks like it would fit a 7/8" shaft (14/16"=7/8") but just guessing.

Garry

Gary I looked up the bearing  ( Timken GRA014RRB ) at Grainger  which gives sizing and it is 7/8  - mine is a 7/8 - to be perfectly honest my bearings aren't that bad but I have a collar that's shot and you can't just buy  the collar

http://www.grainger.com/product/TIMKEN-Insert-Bearing-46N480

Edited by Lagersolut

Lagersolut

Back to the drawing board for me, I bought those bearings at Amazon for 22 dollars free shipping - just went through my E-mails they're out of stock canceled my order.

Tractor Part Mart has that bearing for $14.28 last time I looked.  I need to order one and replace it now while the weather is warm. :-)

They went up :(  $32

RMCIII

Just an FYI: when reassembling the bearing and flanges to the housing, sandwich the bearing between the flanges and bolt the flanges to the outside. The PO of the snowthrower that I bought two years ago had a bearing that I had to replace because the flanges were mistakenly installed wrong. It was installed with one flange on each side of the housing allowing the bearing to wobble and not support the drive shaft.

Not wanting to question you on this, but when I replaced the bearings on my blower, the retainer rings were on either side of the housing. I know they had never been off, becsuse the factory paint markings it left when I removed the rings. Now, that raises a whole new topic. How often has factory installed parts been wrong that you have discovered?

Rob

Edited by RMCIII

shallowwatersailor

Interesting observation as they are both #79365 5xi snowthrowers! On mine, it was just the outer bearing by the chain.

I wish that the 5xi version had a removable chain sprocket like the #79360/79362 instead of being welded to the shaft. The replacement shaft is $$$. It probably is due to the additional torque available with the 5xi different engine designs. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Interesting observation as they are both #79365 5xi snowthrowers! On mine, it was just the outer bearing by the chain.

I wish that the 5xi version had a removable chain sprocket like the #79360/79362 instead of being welded to the shaft. The replacement shaft is $$$. It probably is due to the additional torque available with the 5xi different engine designs. 

I replaced my 3/4" shaft with this 7/8" on an old C-Series snowthrower.
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/7-8-in-x-3-ft-keyed-shaft/A-p8079741e

The 94-7869 shows up as no longer available but if you keep digging it has likely been replaced by 94-7869-01 for $336.42 at Partstree. That is nuts.

I also replaced the bearings with 4-bolt cast iron bearing assemblies and moved the shaft back so I could use a larger diameter driven pulley to slow the auger down. PA also has sprockets that can be welded to the hub of your choice to match the shaft and used a taper-lock pulley. All was purchased for less than Toro wanted for 2 bearings. Probably all made in China but has been good now for about 8 years.

Garry

• Like 1