Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Difference between H60 and HH60

sorekiwi

Starting to think about what motor to put on my Lawn Ranger.

The correct H60 was on it, but the block is bad. There should be plenty of these lying around, but I'm damned if I can find one when I need one. B)

Whats the difference between an H60 and an HH60? I know the HH is a cast iron block and the H60 aluminum. The bore and stroke are the same, and a lot of the rebuid pieces are for either. Do they look the same? Mounting locations the same?

Could I switch all my origonal sheetmetal onto an HH block? How about crank diameter and length?

I hate to go to too much trouble and still end up with a temperamental POS Tecumseh, and am very tempted to just throw a Honda (or clone) at it. Another possibility would be to use the H55 from my 502 on the Lawn Ranger and convert the 502 to a 702 - but that would result in 2 tractors being bastardised instead of one, and with the H55's being so rare I feel like it should stay on the 502.

Unless someone has a spare H60 block taking up valuable tractor space...

I'm Interested to see what the consensus is. :whistle: Any insight would be helpful.

Rollerman

I know the HH is a cast iron block and the H60 aluminum.

I beleive thats it really? B)

They are not a bad engine...just have touchy carbs & seem foreign to me when I'm used to Kohlers.

Unless someone has a spare H60 block taking up valuable tractor space...

I have a good H60 block up here & the rest of the engine if your interested. :whistle:

TT

The HH's have "real" bearings on the crankshaft ends too.

I believe the HM engines have an iron sleeve, but I'm not sure about the crank bearings. B)

The HSK/HSSK models were used on snowblowers and had the carb heating shroud and no air cleaners. (some had 120V electric starters too)

Crankshaft PTO end size will depend on who the engine was manufactured for, and are normally

sorekiwi

Thanks guys, I'm starting to think I should stick with a Tecumseh.

I have to decide fairly soon as the Lawn Ranger came without a belt gaurd. I have one off a 753, but its for a Kohler. I can turn it into "Tecumseh spec" pretty easily, but my 502 has the "Tecumseh spec" guard, and I'm really tempted to put a Kohler on that. Guess I gotta "sh1t or get off the pot."

Tickster, I might take you up on the H60. I'll do another run around my local sources first and see what I can dig up.