Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Tecumseh engines

BairleaFarm

Were they factory of did people add them on these WHs. I dont see much about them. Are they decent engines as far as longevity and price(parts) as the kolhers?

kj4kicks

They were factory original on many models, as noted in several threads.

BairleaFarm

B)

as noted in several threads
Only came up with 12 or so threads with them (title search)

kpinnc

And, they are known to both my father and myself as "bastard" engines...

Sorry for the language. B)

Kevin

TT

Tecumseh (Lauson) engines were used on over 180 different models of Wheel Horse equipment (counting snowblowers and pushmowers) from the 1960 550 Suburban tractor to the 1986 YT-12A lawn tractor.

The all-aluminum engines have the worst reputation, but the heavy-duty "HH" models were actually a good engine. Their biggest downfalls are the expensive-to-replace Solid-State ignition system on some models, and the very NON-user-friendly carburetors.

kpinnc

I probably shouldn't have such a bad attitude towards them. What infinitely small experience I have with any of them have been the aluminum ones.

I have one cast model, but I don't have all the parts for it.

And, since I put the Carter carb from a Kohler on my L157, it actually runs pretty well...

Kevin

linen beige

I'll second what TT said. I have an HH-100 on my '68 Charger 9. The only problems I've had are carb related. Speaking of Lausons, Anybody know where I can find parts for a V55D ? I'd like to rebuild the one on my WT-241.

HorseFixer

B)

Last fall I had a 66 Lawnranger that I brought home. It wasn't long before I was in the carburetor those things have more small orifices than you can shake a stick at. I agree they are a real pain in the azz. Still caughs and burps stumbles on acceleration. will need to take anothere wack at it.

Duke