Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Home built box blade

kpinnc

I share part of my gravel driveway with my neighbor, and he has two sons who ride ATVs all the time. So, between that and my NASCAR-trained wife, I need something to smooth out the ruts.

I've tried grader blades- which do in fact work well, but will only move so much at a time. I need something to do more when needed. Dozer blades work well for moving quit a bit per pass, but it's hard to get the "grading" effect with those as well. I decided to try a box blade.

I used an older 48-inch dozer blade to start. It was rough, but I wanted the curved section both for strength and so it would really dig in if I needed it to. Then I welded 3/16 plate on the sides, and used angle to make a "cradle" on top. I want to be able to use the blade on both my 3-point Bronco 14, or with a clevis hitch on any other tractor. Here's the first setup:

SDC12990.jpg

I also made sliders on the bottom edge for when I use it with the 3-point:

SDC12989.jpg

This first part was just tacked together. It was so rusty that I didn't want to finish weld it until I cleaned up all the rust first. Normally I would use electrolysis to remove it, but my tank is put away for winter. So I sent it to the sandblaster.

While it was there, I made the 3-point adapter. Since I wanted it to be used with a clevis hitch also, the adapter needs to come off easily. It will be secured with four 1/2 inch hitch pins in the cradle.

Picture019.jpg

If I use this with a clevis, it will need to have some kind of support in the back. I don't want it to dig in all the time, so I made a wheeled carrier for the back. I had originally planned on using casters, but they create more problems than they solve. I just used an old set of 5-inch wheels.

Picture021.jpg

The carrier uses the factory mount points for the blade, and will have another bracket attached to use the multiple holes for different cutting height:

Picture027.jpg

And this is the final mock-up. I still have to fab the clevis hitch adapter, and reinforce the cutting edge. I'm still debating on whether or not to add a scarifer rack up front.

Picture029.jpg

I'll also be trimming the side plates down a bit, and I'll use those pieces to brace the center of the blade. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Picture025.jpg

• Like 1

porlife00

Very nice that turned out great! Did you build your 3 point hitch?

kpinnc

Very nice that turned out great! Did you build your 3 point hitch?

Thanks, and yes I built it a few years back. There are a couple old threads on here, but this one covers most of it:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/676-pics-of-the-bronco-14s-3-point/page__hl__bronco+14__fromsearch__1

There are a few other pictures of the finished tractor in the image gallery as well.

Thanks again!

AMC RULES

Don't forget the Valspar...looks really good so far...hope we get an action video once completed. :eusa-think:

post-3498-0-33330300-1328786144_thumb.jp

kpinnc

Yeah, it will get the Valspar treatment for sure Craig. The tractor I built it to fit was painted with it back in 2008. Looks good enough for me.

TT

Yep - that'll come in handy! :handgestures-thumbup:

post-33-0-32348600-1328794295.png

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Here's another topic from the Bronco 3-point build.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/1411-finally-started-testing-the-bronco-3-point/

Box blade looks sweet Kevin!

ben06351

Wow that looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

BEN

Sparky

Wow that looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

BEN

I'd like to see it in action as well!

Looks very sturdy Kevin.

Mike..........

KC9KAS

Box blade looks very nice and will be functional! I looked at the older 3 point hitch build.....Looks like you are very handy in the garage!

can whlvr

real nice job,i think a scarifier thats removable or adjustable will be handy when the road gets really packed,she will be a nice implement to get some seat time

kpinnc

Thanks for the replies fellas! Don I think you nailed it- removable is gonna be the key. This blade has gained quite a bit of weight since I started it, and still has a bit to go. If used with the 3-point, weight will not be an issue. It easily lifts 400lbs or more. When used with a clevis hitch though, possibly with manual lift- weight is a big deal. I estimated that if I kept the weight less than a standard tiller, then it would be OK. Still keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

I hope to finish it up over the weekend, and maybe get a few tests done. If all goes well, it'll see some red paint soon afterward.

kpinnc

Well, I got a little more done over the weekend. I didn't get to do a real test on it, because I haven't got an actual cutter bar attached yet. But, I did get some "fitment" testing done with the Bronco 14.

Looks like I'm gonna need a longer top link. At full down, the box is tilted slightly forward- even though my link is fully extended:

Picture032.jpg

It's hard to tell from this picture, but at full up the blade is almost a foot off the ground. With a longer top link, I'll lose a bit of that, but not much. I'm so glad I put all that travel into the 3-point when I made it:

Picture030.jpg

You can tell here the wheel carrier is moved to the very top holes. No need for them on this tractor anyway. I also trimmed the side plates down a bit. Might help keep it from looking so "homemade" when it's all done:

Picture033.jpg

I also added a 1/8th "patch" across where the cutter bar will mount. The original holes were wallowed out, and the blade was worn far more on the right side than the rest. This gives me a good straight edge again to mount the wear bar. you can also see the 4 bolts that hold the 3-point adapter. Pins rattled a bit too much, so snugging up bolts quietened things down:

Picture031.jpg

Rear view. The darn pin had popped out at the top, so the carrier was crooked in this pic. I didn't put the cotters in when I took this:

Picture035.jpg

Looks nice back there! Hopefully I'll get the wear bar installed so I can really test it soon:

Picture034.jpg

73-18 automatic

Looks awesome can't wait to see it in action

Olratlr

Look's like you done real good.

Thanks for sharing.

kpinnc

OK so the 3-point part is pretty well worked out. Now I had to get the clevis hitch done, and test it out. My welding isn't so great, but I bet the house they won't come apart!

Picture040.jpg

Picture039.jpg

With the clevis hitch in place, the 3-point adapter needed to be notched to fit over it. Before:

Picture016.jpg

After:

Picture042.jpg

So it will fit like this:

Picture047.jpg

I decided to add 4 slots for scarifers. I may never use them, but the slots are there if need be.

Picture037.jpg

And I braced up the center of the blade with some gussets:

Picture038.jpg

And here's the test fit on the unfinished 867 with a clevis hitch. Forgot to put the wheeled carrier on, since this is when it would actually be used:

Picture045.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Surprisingly, this heavy thing is fairly easy to lift manually:

Picture043.jpg

More to come as it gets done!

• Like 1

kpinnc

Well I finally finished this thing. pretty cool how some red paint really looks better.

On the 867 first, using the clevis hitch:

Picture050.jpg

Picture049.jpg

And then back on the Bronco with the 3-point:

Picture055.jpg

Picture054.jpg

I didn't even let the paint cure before I had to try it out. Gonna take some practice, but it works very well.

Picture052.jpg

smoreau

Looks very nice!! I bet you can't wait to get it moving some real dirt! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Iggy68

That box is sweet! Excellent work!

massey

Nice work.

bowtiebutler956

Looks great, nice work, but that gorgeous Bronco 14 really stole the limelight. :text-coolphotos::text-datsphatyo:

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

Really nice fabrication. :thumbs: I like that the paint isn't even dry, and it's already out gettin' dirty. :popcorn:

can whlvr

nice job,looks like a factory implement,nice tractors too

kpinnc

Thanks for the compliments. The pictures do the blade justice, I assure you.

I've really been happy with the whole 3-point setup on the Bronco for some time, but it was always a problem that several of the attachments only fit that one tractor. If you have several tractors, you know how there's always one needing work while the others are running great. I think that from now on any attachments I build will be like this one, meaning they will work with a clevis and the 3-point. I wish I had been doing this all along.