Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Starting pepper seeds

Prater

I have never started from seeds before. I have a small kit to start in the house and then transplant. Just wondering if there are any pointers from more experienced starters. I will be starting Bhut Jolokia Peppers (1 million plus on the schoville chart) from some seeds I removed before the peppers went into the dehydrator.

Thanks

Rooster

Pointer #1...Save me some!

Prater

Rooster, funny story behind these peppers. It included a lady who does not cook trying to make spanish rice on one of the islands during a charity event I was part of. Needless to say she put three ghost chillies in the pot of rice not knowing them from sarano peppers. We thought we were going to have to call the Coast Guard to take two of the divers to the hospital for anaphylactic shock...they thought they were going to die....

AMC RULES

They sound painful, the best kind. :eusa-think:

Rooster

Serrano's are one of my Favorites, I have heard the Ghost taste like Serrano with the bite of Habenero!

Prater

More like the bite of a Great White..took 4 hours for the numbness in my mouth to return.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

More like the bite of a Great White..took 4 hours for the numbness in my mouth to return.

:ROTF::happy-bouncyredfire: :beer:

WH4ME

sounds like they will make you cry

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I tried the peat moss seed starters like below but in my experience I've had better luck using garden soil. The plants I started in peat would be spindly and have a weak root system. When I planted them in the garden they would get flattened by the first rain or windy day. They grew faster in peat initially but the plants started in garden soil were stronger and fared better when put outside.

Tomato_sprouts_Cheryl_DeWolfe_lores.jpg

Prater

Thanks, I will pull my kit out tomorrow and see what all I have to start. I may just use potting soil that I have instead of the coconut husk looking pucks...

Raider

I use a soil-less sterile potting mix in plastic break apart flats. Keep the soil warm and moist for good germination. I keep them under 4' flourescent lights, a combo of inexpensive cool white and warm white tubes, for 16 hours a day. Start fertilizing after the first or second set of true leaves have developed.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Thanks, I will pull my kit out tomorrow and see what all I have to start. I may just use potting soil that I have instead of the coconut husk looking pucks...

I would suggest compressing the potting soil some so that it mimics the garden soil density. They may grow slower initially but in my opinion they will be stronger having had to work their way through the denser soil (like if outside). Just my 3 cents (inflation).

GlenPettit

Another suggestion: all Pepper plants like a little sulfur; easy way to get this is to drop a couple (2-3) of paper-matches in the transplanting hole, the head of the match is mostly sulfur. Peppers tend to like it a little dry, and warm - avoid moist mulches.

Good place to germinate pot-sewn seeds is on the water heater, really speeds up the sprouting.

For me, I've found that in most cases, garden sewn seeds usually catch up to transplants by the end of the season & harvest, but the seeds and starts have to protected from the elements when they do happen (excessive rain, heat, birds & bugs), 'gallon empty milk jugs' as covers help.

Good Luck, Glen

jay in nc

Just a little FYI for you newbys of gardening. Get a Farmers Almanac. You may do very well by going by the moon and propper planting time for your area. Seeds do well if planted in pairs. You can reuse last years cell pack as long as it is washed with hot water and a little bleach. If you have potting soil use it. Be careful of the amount of water you use. The peat in it holds lots of water so go easy. If you have a pot with leftover potting soil, heat it in an old crock pot until it reaches 130 degrees for 20 min. let cool and use. This process kills any fungus that may have formed over time and makes it useable again. Don't plant to deep and make sure that you tap the seed once covered so you will get a seed to soil contact .Fertilize once the second set of true leaves come in.

Best of Luck

Jennifer Holt

CEO/ Happy Hollow Farm