Sign in to follow this  
daemon2525

48" deck on 12HP tractor

daemon2525

I have already had a little chat with TT and I think that I know the answer already.

However, I would like some opinions on the performance that I would get with a 48" deck on a 12hp Kohler tractor.

Will it not work at all? Is it going to run so crappy that I will regret trying, or will I be OK except in taller grass?

I am very anxious to get this thing to mow. I have worked much too hard to look at this garage decoration any longer.

My trouble is that I do not see any 42 inch available in my area. I also need the Mule drive and belt.

I have a 36" that is the wrong one. Too much work to get it to work because even if it worked perfectly, My yard is a little large to be running around with 36".

Or do any of you NE Indiana guys have a deck that might work?

Any of you in NE Indiana need an RM-366 in very good shape?

Trades? Trades + cash?

T-Mo

I also wouldn't mind seeing an answer on this. I have thought about putting my 48" deck on my C-125. I had a JD 210 (10 hp Kohler K-241) with a 46" deck and it handle it just fine, though I never took it into taller grass. I'm thinking the taller stuff may be a bit much for the 12 hp, but I'll wait and see the answers first. B)

refracman

A 48 will work on a 12hp and were sold that way also. Just go slow or cut often and keep a eye on the engine to make sure you dont abuse it.

T-Mo

Steve,

That's what I was thinking also, as long as you don't try and mow a wheat field with it, it should do fine on shorter grass.

Teddy da Bear

You guys must have missed my posting on my new/used Raider 10 with a 48" deck.

I was skeptical of this combo I got at auction... But as I said in my post. "I am liking it". It does really fine. I cut outside the fence of the south field a couple of days ago. I only cut it every three weeks, so you can imagine how tall the grass was. It looked better after cutting it than when I used one of my 36" decks. But I did mow in first gear. Normally I mow in second if the grass is long and in third when it is really dry. My grass is not a manicured lawn. It is only what I call "farm grass". I also noticed that the side discharge does not seem to clog as bad as my rear discharge.

If that motor is good as it should be on that 12 horse.....I would think it would do better than mine.

I hope you have good luck with it.!

kpinnc

As I recall, a 48 inch deck was also used on the 1054.

Most folks reccomend (myself included, sometimes- and only on a WH, mind you) a minimum of 14hp for a 48, but I'd imagine you'll have no problems unless you dig into some really heavy grass.

I mow with a 310-8 using a 42 incher, and it has no problems at all.

Just my $.02... B)

Kevin

linen beige

As I recall, a 48 inch deck was also used on the 1054.

RM-483, RM-484, and RM-485, listed for the 1054a. Mine mows better than the 42 incher on my 15.5 hp Kohler powered Craftsman. I just wish it could be set for a higher cut, and would mulch. B)

TT

.......and the 1963 953 with 9.6hp used the 48" deck too.

Being a gear drive tractor, the 1057 will do fine. The ground speed in second gear is actually a little slow for comfortable mowing with a 42" deck, so I'd say it should be just about perfect. (in normal grass)

Perhaps if I get enthusiastic enough, I'll pop the 48" deck off the 416 and hitch it on my 1056. Then I bet I can answer the question pretty quickly. B)

Stigian

As the saying goes, " If the deck fits, use it" :imstupid: B) :whistle:

daemon2525

It sounds like I should give it a shot.

BTW I finally got the thing running well. I'll talk about that in the other post.

Curmudgeon

48" deck are recommended fair on 12HP Wheel Horses, and they'll run them just fine.

I ran a 48" deck on a Raider 10, and the governor never maxed out, seldom went over half way even. (You know the drill, flip up hood, push governor over to see how much is left). Once the grass gets so tall, it bends over and doesn't get cut. No matter how high the grass, the load only gets so great before the chute plugs, or the belt slips. One of which is going to happen long before you use all of that 12 HP you have on tap.

If you have any doubts about 48" on 12HP, which is 4" per horse, think about the 76" on a 16 HP I ran. That was 4.75" per horse, with extra belts to run no less. Ran it with no problems whatsoever.

illinilefttackle

B) Daemon-My C-125 Hydro has a 42' deck on it-Figuring you are supposed to lose 4HP for the hydro, it might be a good comparision- You feel a little lugging when you fist engage the PTO-but once everything is spinning it does just fine. I mow grass that is fairly long from time to time-especially since the price of gas has gone thru the roof. Keep things greased well and make sure the belt tensioner is free to move back and forth, and sharpen the blades well-then you should be fine- That 12Hp rating-IMO-is very underrating the power(TORQUE) of these engines.-Good Luck!-AL :whistle:

daemon2525

Well it looks like y'all have convinced me. I really wanted the 48" deck because I have a large yard to mow. I am goin to go ahead and try and get a 48.

I have pretty easy grass to mow so I think that I might be OK.

Wish me luck

DMESS

Remember, an RJ ran 32" with 3.6 or 4 hp! :whistle: I don't see an issue with 12/48. You're not going to cut hay in 3rd gear, but under NORMAL circumstances it should perform fine. I'm running a 37" right now with a 520-H and catch more greif for that than you will EVER get running a 48" with a 12 horse! B)

Curmudgeon

Dustin, that doesn't even cut the track width, does it? B):whistle: B)

DMESS

Dustin, that doesn't even cut the track width, does it? B):whistle:B)

Yeah, but I can mow 10" high grass at 7 mph without missing a blade!

Curmudgeon

Always a silver lining isn't there, Dustin!

linen beige

Yeah, but I can mow 10" high grass at 7 mph without missing a blade!

One

blade

at

a

time.

B)