Sign in to follow this  
JamesBe1

K482S

JamesBe1

Finally got up my courage to take the oil pan off of my K482S this afternoon. Good thing it was sunny out and warm in my shed.

Here is the engine sitting on the frame rails:

Here is the engine with the oil pan removed:

Closeup of crankcase. Things are looking pretty bad at this point.

Closeup of crankshaft. Looks pretty bad, but I am no expert. But from my limited past experience, this should be nice and shiny.

Piston rod debris sitting on top of oil pump screen. The screen was pretty gunked up as was the bottom of the oil pan.

Cylinder No.2 from inside the crankcase. You can already see that the piston skirt is broken.

Debris in the oil pan. I have it draining at the moment. No doubt there are a lot more pieces in there.

Pushed the piston out with a long screwdriver, and here it is:

This is a shot of crankshaft through cylinder No.2

I am amazed that this thing ran so well on one cylinder. Unless it just happened to break just before I shut it off. What would be the odds of that?

Suggestions, options? Anyone? Buhler?

Is it worth pulling the crankshaft out and having it remachined? What does something like that cost?

Do I have to take the flywheel off of the other side to get the crankshaft out (double-plus unfun)?

I have to go hunt down my boregage and let it sit in the house overnight to warm up. It's been sitting in my barn for probably a year. I'll try to take measurements tomorrow. Dunno if it's worth the bother or not. I really don't want to tear this down to the block and have it completely remachined (can't really afford it atm).

I might just have to put it back together and park this thing and wait for better times.

BTW, anyone know where I can get another K482 without having to pay through the nose?

Thanx in advance for all your input.

James I have the same problem with the new 18 auto that I just purchased (knew this before purchase)

I am sorry to hear that I have company in that regards. It's sad to see these motors bite the dust. Do you plan on rebuilding?

James

73-18 automatic

I am not sure what I am going to do I may repower it so I may sell it's engine

73-18 automatic

post-860-0-53101900-1329174903_thumb.jpg

couple pics of my 18 auto

73-18 automatic

one more

I think mine has the same rod broke

post-860-0-07086700-1329174943_thumb.jpg

can whlvr

ya thats a drag,ive been where you are,(not a twin though)with a broken rod,measure every thing when you can,i just paid 150 for a single to be bored and crank turned,a agree with whats been said,put her aside till you can afford to do it right,its not gonna be cheap for a twin,but when redone right that would be a heck of a motor

73-18 automatic

might be doin a repower

Trouty56

The 482 is fully shrouded. Better look for a tin on that side that is missing one.

JamesBe1

The 482 is fully shrouded. Better look for a tin on that side that is missing one.

Thanx Bob, I asked around about that. The only response I got was from Jeff in PA. He didn't have a shroud on the No. 2 cylinder either. I kinda figured wheel horse left it out for some reason. I'm glad to know that for sure. Now I gotta find a shroud somewhere. At least I am not in any hurry - it'll be a long while before I get it running again.

JamesBe1

one more

I think mine has the same rod broke

Looks pretty complete. Nice find. Do either of your D-series have an engine shroud on the right side cylinder? As Bob pointed out above, mine appears to be missing.

James

73-18 automatic

My D160 has an onan but the new to me 18 auto is missing that shroud (maybe thats why it broke the rod)

JamesBe1

That piece of tin is listed as a part in any parts lookup on the net for the K482S. I wasn't sure if it should be there or not since Wheel Horse has been known to modify lots of parts for whatever reasons they have/had. Also, Jeff in PA has another 18HP D-series that doesn't have the particular piece of tin either. What gives - we are all missing the same piece? Strange, but not unheard of. I guess we all need to keep our eyes open and pick up one when possible.

Hodge71

James I have the shroud that covers the head on the right but no shroud that encompasses the cylinder jug like on the right side of the 482. I still cant find anyone to tell me if there shoud be a jug shroud on the other cylinder.

73-18 automatic

Yes there should be one I found mine today

might be parting this thing out

JamesBe1

Yes there should be one I found mine today

might be parting this thing out

Thankyou for your input. It is odd that both Jeff and I should be missing the same identical part. Maybe they were known to fall off.

Sorry to hear that you are parting it out. I think Jeff could use it more than I since my engine is now officially a basket case. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it yet. Probably just button it up and put it in the back of the shed till I can find a reasonable machine shop in my area. I'd like to get this thing running again, but money is tight. Would really love to repower it, but the costs are way too high for that.

I'm really not looking forward to ripping out the crankshaft. The cylinders I can hone here, but I can't do a damn thing with the crank. Maybe one of these days I'll get a good lathe.

Trouty56

Here's a pic of the shrouds that are on my 482. This is from the Kohler Parts manual for the 482/582 Twins.....

1 and 2 are the bottom cylinder shrouds.....4 and 7 are the head shrouds......3 and 5 fit beside the governor and vacuum / fuel pump area.....5 and 10 are the flywheel shrouds. There are some other tins listed but must be for other applications.

post-1933-0-43523100-1329620885.jpg

Trouty56

The service and parts manuals are in the files section on this site.....maybe you have gotten them elsewhere but if not......

JamesBe1

Thanx a bunch Bob. I had the service manual, and have been looking for the parts manual. I should have looked a little closer here.

Trouty56

You're welcome James.....

dadstractor1

i have one frome rv auction cant seAM TOO FIND RODS

JamesBe1

i have one frome rv auction cant seAM TOO FIND RODS

The connecting rods? I believe that I have seen them on ebay.

JamesBe1

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Here is a set not sure what kinda shape

This may also be another one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER-CONNECTING-ROD-NOS-A-277130-/300665517686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46010fb676

One of the useful features on ebay is the ability to save a search and then have them mail you with hits. I have several searches that keep my appraised of K482, D-180, and other wheel horse stuff. They usually send out an email once a day for each search if there is anything listed. Sorry to sound like I am hawking ebay, but it is a good source for some hard to find parts.

You can also search the internet for:

A-277130-10-S for the .010 under rod or;

A-277130-S for the standard rod.

JamesBe1

OK, so I guess I am going to send this out to a machine shop. Anyone know of any reasonable machine shops in North NJ? How far should I tear this down before I hand it over. I'm guessing almost completely, but I just thought I'd ask.

What do you folks recommend having done beside the crank and the cylinders? How worried should I be about the valves and guides? Should I worry about the cam? Should I bother to replace the valves or lap the old valves and reinstall them?

I'm fishing for opinions folks. Feel free to add yours.

James

P.S. I know your offer still stands Paul, but you are just too far out of my locale. But it's good to know that there are still nice people around.

JamesBe1

I have been taking my time tearing this motor down. Doing my best to label things so I know what goes where.

One of the issues that I am having is how to remove the pto assembly from the front of it. There is one center bolt that comes off easily.

Can any tell me if the pto is threaded on the shaft or should it just come straight off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,

James

Trouty56

Out of the manual for the D-200.....

It is pretty straight forward....I think mine slid right off...

PTO Removal.pdf