Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Kohler 16 hp engine question

leeave96

I know there was a C-160 and a Kohler powered version of the 416-8 (and maybe a 416-H) and I have a few questions.

Did these tractors use the K341 engine?

Were there any vibration isolators used between the engine and the frame?

I've heard the 16hp engine has a pronounced vibration. I haven't seen one of the above tractors, but I have seen some older Wheelhorse tractors that had a cradle between the engine and frame that had vibration isolators. How were the above tractors engines set-up? Iso mounts or solid mount?

Can anyone comment if you own one of these tractors?

Thanks,

The other Bill

can whlvr

i dont own one(a k series 416)but im 99 percent sure that they dont,the iso mount was from 78-84,no 400 series have the plate that ive seen,i have an old k341 1975 and its probally one of the smoothest engines i own and the most powerful,

whc160

I HAVE THREE C-160'S & THEY HAVE THE K341 SOLID MOUNTED WITH NO VIBRATIONS. I DO KNOW THAT THE 78-79 C161'S DID HAVE THE CRADLE & RUBBER MOUNTS. THE NEXT SERIES WERE THE SK'S IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THEY WENT BACK TO THE SOLID MOUNT.

Sparky

I think the blackhoods were the next series and they are mounted on the rubber cradle thingy. I did own a C-85 (blackhood) with a solid mount K-181 but all my larger HP blackhoods are rubber mounted.

Mike...........

BOWTIE

I HAVE A 1982 SK486 WITH K341AS MOTOR AND IT IS SOLID MOUNT WITH NO VIBRATION. THANKS

BOWTIE IN OHIO

Wheel-N-It

Bill:

I do not have a K341 in a WheelHorse, but I do have one in a CubCadet 1650 (hydro). It has the iso mount system where the oil pan is bolted to an engine cradle that is rubber mounted to the tractor frame. If those mounts get worn, the motor vibrates around like crazy. To replace them is setting me back $100dollars from the Cub dealer, and I have a set being shipped to me later this week. I know that sounds like alot of money for four iso mounts and two rubber snubbers, but that is the going rate, and OEM is the only way to go on this item.

Van

leeave96

Bill:

I do not have a K341 in a WheelHorse, but I do have one in a CubCadet 1650 (hydro). It has the iso mount system where the oil pan is bolted to an engine cradle that is rubber mounted to the tractor frame. If those mounts get worn, the motor vibrates around like crazy. To replace them is setting me back $100dollars from the Cub dealer, and I have a set being shipped to me later this week. I know that sounds like alot of money for four iso mounts and two rubber snubbers, but that is the going rate, and OEM is the only way to go on this item.

Van

It's funny you would mention the 1650. I've got one of these to restore and it has iso mounts - which I am going to replace just like you did/are. But I knew this engine was used elsewhere on other tractors and was courious as to how they faired with the vibration of this engine.

Thanks!

The other Bill

baerpath

A lot of the pullers take the rubber mounts out of the cubs, JD's and WH's, with no effect on the vibration.

I have a 14hp (C145) with the rear two rubber mounts out and bolted direct No differance

Duane

Hydro

I have an M16 which was in a 1988 416-8. It was mounted metal to metal as is my 314H with an M14. They both vibrate a little. They're not as smooth as the Onan but neither are bad. I think you hear more of the Thump with the 16 and than you really feel. It is a powerful engine.

Ming89

74 C-160 is a solid mount. No vibration isolation.

buckeye25

i used to work in a cub dealer and used pices of old conveyor belt cut in circles to make the isolators they worked well and were easy to make they added a tiny bit more vibration but hardly noticed it at all it holds up twice as long as oem iso mounts you can get the old belt from a stone quarry just go ask for a piece they may or may not charge a small amount just place a fender washer on the top and bottom of the stack .

Wheel-N-It

i used to work in a cub dealer and used pices of old conveyor belt cut in circles to make the isolators they worked well and were easy to make they added a tiny bit more vibration but hardly noticed it at all it holds up twice as long as oem iso mounts you can get the old belt from a stone quarry just go ask for a piece they may or may not charge a small amount just place a fender washer on the top and bottom of the stack .

Thats an interesting idea. Some of the guys on the Cub site I am a member of have tried automotive front end rubber components with varing results. For the most part I like OEM stuff so thats what I go with.

Bill, if all goes as planned I will be picking up a 416-8 this weekend. It has the big Kohler single in it. This one is not the old style K motor with external coil and points ignition. I think it is more of the Magnum series Kohler. Maybe the balancing is a little better than the K, I don't know but am looking forward to finding out. Good luck with your 1650. They are great lawn tractors. Too bad WheelHorse did not benefit from the financial power of Toro. Now that Cub Cadets are no longer REAL Cub Cadets, WheelHorse tractors would really have no competition today. Just my 3cents there.

Van

can whlvr

if its a 416 the engine will definatly be bolted to the frame,no craddle,the magnums are basically the same as the k series,some changes but the guts are the same,the bearing plate,flywheel,ignition are the basics that are different,you will like that big 16 ,single,its a great engine