Sign in to follow this  
mark1500

C161 Briggs Twin Shaft Size

mark1500

Hello,

I have been having issues with my 16hp Briggs L head twin on my C161 Twin Auto. It just won't run it backfires and loads up, rebuilt the carb, got a different one rebuilt it, new coil, nothing made a difference. Checked the key, not sheared. So I pull the heads to see if the valves were opening and not stuck, they are fine, some carbon, nothing bad, but wow the cylinder bores are worn pretty good, may or may not clean up(two head bolts broke off in the block by the exhaust as well, Auughh!!) Worst part is I cleaned it up pretty good and painted most of it, right before the issues started, so i am knee deep in this one.

So with that I think I would rather put a different engine in this. I took the outer PTO off, and measured the inner bore of the keyed part of the pulley and come with 1". I thought these were all 1 1/8" shafts, are these stepped in that inner pulley or was this engine truly a 1"?

Thanks and if you have a decent engine probably anything from a 12 hp to 20 hp I would be interested, I am outside Dayton Ohio.

Thanks, Mark

TT

:whistle: , Mark!

The B&S engine on your 161 does have a 1" PTO end on the crankshaft. The GT16XX and 18XX WorkHorse tractors also use the Briggs opposed twins with one inch crankshaft ends.

The majority of the 10 to 16 hp Kohler singles, the Onan twins, and a few of the Kohler twins have 1 1/8" crankshaft ends.

You can install a Kohler single or twin, an Onan twin (not recommended B) ) or even one of the newer Briggs & Stratton V twins on your tractor, but you might need to change a few "support" parts, like the control cables, ignition switch, and wiring.

Once again, it depends on how much money you want to spend, and if the tractor is worth "dumping" the money in to. (If it costs you $1000 to buy an engine and install it vs. buying another complete running tractor for the same money or less.)

mark1500

Thanks for your help TT, I need to look into the prices of motors now, it definately defines my search, alot of the I/C briggs twins I see are 1", so that may be an option.