Sign in to follow this  
haeffnkr

Who lives in Missouri?

haeffnkr

Hello,

Just found this board.

What I have....

I have a 702, 753 and a RJ with 5 bolt rear hubs and a leather shift boot....

What I need...

Some new friend(s) who have some time to repair/rebuild a 7XX.

I want to get my 753 running again. Last time I played with it ran and worked fine just needs some tinkering and new paint to make it a little better. I might swap the fenders and a few things over to the 702 ...not sure what is easiest...I want to put a newer style 8hp motor on one of them also.

Is there anyone out in the Saint Louis area or surrounding Missouri area who is interested in helping me out. I got a new baby and no time to work on these. Looking to get one running for this winter to plow some snow. Working on these has been on my list for several years...and my list keeps getting longer....

If anyone is interested and lives around the area please let me know and we can work out some kind of arrangement.

thanks Kevin

haeffnkr at gmail dot com

wh500special

Kevin :whistle: ,

WELCOME aboard!

Glad to hear from you again and congrats on the new baby.

You may recall you and I met a couple of times...first time you came to my place of work (when I lived in St. Louis) on Jefferson and dropped off a Litter Whisk attachment you removed from a Workhorse 700. Later, you swung by Alton and picked up a few rear hitches from me!

I'm originally from Granite City. Then Alton. Then St. Louis. Then South Bend, IN. Then here on the edge of nowhere. Being from GC and now Indiana, you can rightly assume I've always been a Hoosier B) , but now the connotation is a little different.

hate to say I've since forgotten about you...but, well... B)

I'm now in Indiana, and can offer very little useful help for what you're looking for since I have two kids and little time to tinker too. I know the local WH dealers in your area can help you out, but I'd be willing to bet you'd shrink away from their shop rates. But, if only a little tinkering is needed to get one running again it might be a good way to establish/re-establish a rapport with one.

I'd steer you first to El-Mel up in North County (314-741-2117) and speak with Larry. They've been selling WH's since 1961 (I have their first tractor) and seem to like the older ones (don't bother cruising the NOS parts for holy grails since I have already beaten you to the punch B) ).

I have never had great luck with any of the independent guys in the St. Louis area. I'm sure there are good ones, but I never stumbled into their shops. perhaps Terry down in Bonne Terre will be of some help. Your question reminds me that I have been wanting to ask this group if there is someone who does restorations for hire...(I'll post that Q later).

After you settle in here you might want to let the rest of the guys in on what kind of tractors your place of employ used to maintain their grounds (hope the change of name/ownership didn't negatively impact you btw). perhaps you have pictures or stories.

A leather booted RJ, huh? I've not seen many of those. But 5 lug hubs are kind of interesting on that tractor...

Best of luck,

Steve

haeffnkr

Hey Steve,

Long time no see...or hear....haha..That was some time ago since we last met. I hope I still have those hitches somewhere or I will need more for my plow.

I have heard of El Mel - thanks. I am not interested in using local mower shop for this work.

I basically need what you said, someone to do some rebuild/restore for hire.I know it wont be cheap but I am not getting any use out of these things now...

Not looking to win any shows...just need to get it running and dependable.

I emailed Terry and he did not know of anyone.... except a local guy for motor work. I might need some carb work but I think I need other thing before the motor work, which should not be much...if I am lucky.

I bought and sold some stuff to a guy in Overland a few years ago...Tom I think was his name...anyone know him? He had a shed full of WH stuff.

I left AGE some time ago..but it was cool seeing the WHs run around the campus. They had nice original hubcaps on those tractors too.

My RJ is supposedly a rare one...the orginal motor is gone but I have a k91 to go on it, that tractor is next after the 7xx are ready to go.

thanks Kevin

Teddy da Bear

Welcome to the board Kevin!

I am sorry I am not closer to you and cannot help you out.

I doubt I could help you out even if I lived next door. I don't know a whole lot and might make your tractor worse.

But there are folks here who might be able to help. Just give them some time.

T-Mo

Kevin,

:whistle: I didn't think to mention this when you emailed, but I do know a guy who's into John Deeres that does do some of that type of work. I'm not sure what his work load is like now, but he has gone through his JDs, and a Case for another guy. He's in the St. Charles/St. Peters area. His name is Mike Gault. Like I said, I'm not sure if he will have the time, nor the inclination but I could give him a holler for you.

Also, Frank (Bowtieguy) is in Missouri - west of us, but he may know someone who can help. Hopefully he will see this if he does know someone. B)

DMESS

Kevin, B) Glad you found us and I hope you stick around and join in on the fun. We have a few Missouri folks here so you're certainly not alone.

I'd like to hear more about your RJ-58. It's a very early one if it has the round hubs (although by my knowledge they should be three bolt) and leather shifter boot. You will also find that the transmission case will be void of any part number castings near the shifter. (smooth case as I call them) It should also have the narrow RJ-35 front wheels and RJ-35 style deep seat. The clutch rod and linkage parts are also more crude on these than later RJ-58's. As you mentioned a K-90 would have been the original powerplant.

Do you have any pictures of this tractor you could share?

CasualObserver

Welcome to the Square Kevin! B) I'm originally not that far from you either. I grew up around Lincoln, IL, but now reside a bit further north... in MN. Glad you found the group, hope you hang around. Plenty of knowledgeable folks to learn from here. And in case you haven't figured it out... we like pictures... lots and lots of pictures! :whistle: I'd also really like to see that leather shift boot!

haeffnkr

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Treed - sent you an email for contact information.

DMESS -

It has been a while since I looked this tractor over - but I had a similar conversation a few years ago on a different board....and those guys thougt too this is a very early/rare RJ type that has some pond parts on it.

The tractor is currently in a shed 70 miles away...I probably need to make sure it is not stolen...seriously, as it has been a few years since I looked it over and probably 1-2 since I have even see it from a distance.

So from memory - it does have round hubs and it does have 5 lugs - they are not the triangular ones on early WHs that have leave 2 holes open the rear wheels.

As far as the wheels and the seat I am not sure...I dont have any other RJs to compare to. I believe it has a metal seat... I do remember it has some crude linkages etc.

I will have to get some pics soon and I guess drag it out of that shed, I dont have any pics now of it...so I guess as internet rules go...I am not believable until I get the pics...no problem with that...

thanks Kevin

haeffnkr

Hello,

I am also interested in talking to anyone in an adjoining state who might be able to help me out also.

thanks Kevin