neil

Trojan Toraktor UK built in early 60s

neil

i have just bought this little tractor called a Trojan Toraktor made by the Trojan motor company in the early 60s . Only 500 were ever made of this tractor and then they stopped production of them.

They are smaller than an RJ and to give some kinda scale there is a picture of a guy driving on one.

this will be my 2nd Trojan

This is the one i just bought

KGrHqVHJCUE7zPTjmjPBPGGfHt7sg60_12.jpg

KGrHqVHJDcE7yrFQ9hSBPGGdID8Q60_12.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

DSC01599.jpg

2gwiamx.jpg

2000-005_1.jpg

20110815_191025_rural_pasttimes.jpg

The top two tractors are the ones that i own and the other pics are to give this scale of these little guys.

they almost look like toys but they were built specificly for small holding and small garden ploughing & rotovating

they are also extremely desirable here in the uk and they are now reported to be only about 100 left

• Excellent 6

Jake Kuhn

Wow that thing is cool.Almost looks looks like a ford 8n,Jake

AMC RULES

Those are some crazy tiny Trojan tractors, I didn't know they made 'em smaller than RJ's. :scratchead:

Really cool :flags-wavegreatbritain: history lesson Neil, thanks for sharing. :)

Rollerman

Very cool Neil, I remember you finding the first one & posting about it here.

smoreau

That is one cool little tractor! I would love to have one, but that may never happen here in the states. Thanks for posting!

KC9KAS

Aaaahhhh isn't that cute! :cool:

squonk

Cool! Love the dog in the last pic! :scared-eek:

grnlark

Those things are just awesome. Obviously, we never see those in the U.S. Whats something like that worth?

Ken B

Very cool little tractor.

Matt, I thought of you when I first saw this post. Gee, I wonder why? If anyone can lay their hands on one of these its you.

grnlark

Matt, I thought of you when I first saw this post. Gee, I wonder why? If anyone can lay their hands on one of these its you.

Ha! That's one of those tractors where I'd have to push all the chips to the center of the table regardless of how crazy or stupid the price was.

grnlark

You know whats funny? It took a few phone calls and a few hours but I found one all original for $2500. :eusa-think:

neil

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C276783there is one of these that is about to go to auction on with a price guide of £1500 to £1800 english pounds

these tractors are rarer than hens teeth here in uk and are extremely desirable , Trojan motor company were bought out by italian company Lambretta which used to make motor cycle scooters.

AMC RULES

You know whats funny? It took a few phone calls and a few hours but I found one all original for $2500. :eusa-think:

Well, you did say you would be all in if you found one, time to push those chips Matt. :D

c161rat

does that thing have 2 engines on it?????

neil

Yes it has two engine , It give you an idea of how small this thing is

VinsRJ

Two is always better than one.... right !?!

Cool tractor!

CTPATRIOT

Looks like a mini Fordson!

Old Ways

I want one...

darren

Nicely rescued Neil, it's good to see it joining your stable. If its the one that was on 'that website' recently, you got it at a very good price! :)

Raider10

:UK: Seen a few of these at some of the shows we go to here around the north of england. Small and very cool.

Your a very lucky guy. :banana-tux:

neil

I wrote an article in Tractor & machinery last year requesting people that own one of these tractors to get in touch so that i can update the register at the Trojan Museum and so far i have found 14 survivers come to light . Out of only 500 ever built i have been told by the museum that there are probably less than 50 left. so that makes these tractors now extremely rare and desirable here in uk .

I found one guy actually own five of these tractors & all except one were original & in Running order and he asked if i wanted to buy the one that didnt run ,. but at the time i couldnt find the funds to buy it. Hopefully he still has it and i may be able to buy it if work picks up here in south west UK.

Norlett

Hi neil

Just seen your new little Trojan.Looks the part.

Sure we've seen one of these up in north Yorkshie.(Ripon i Think)

It would go nicely on our table (If it had a bucket on front) For loading Raider10's plate.With sausage. beans.and chips.

Not fogetting his Yorkshire puddings. :UK:

Tim Sargeant

Neil, I see you are in England and a Trojan Toraktor enthusiast. I have only just found this forum so I would be interested to know how you got the photo of me on my Trojan, that is the blue one with no grille in it. (6th photo down) This was stolen from our garage in Kent some years ago and still has not been found. My Trojan is easily identifiable as it has a new bonnet with no holes in it for the petrol filler and exhaust. Also I modified the steering and fitted proper joints. The engine is a Newton which is the same as the original Clinton but with recoil starting, side exhaust and different petrol tank. These Newton engines are metallic blue. (Newton bought all the moulds and dies from Clinton) It was while I was doing some research on this that I came across your messages on this forum. Aside from that, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who might have seem my Trojan anywhere or who might have any information on it's present whereabouts. I can be contacted at Tim (at) permanden .co .uk or by 'phone at 01580 211376. Any information received will be treated with confidence. I tried to add another pic but file too large for forum. I could email to interested parties if any help. Regards to all, TCS.

Wheel-N-It

By Golly it does have two engines! Amazing! Thank you for the thread Neil :)

Tim Sargeant

PS to Neil and all; My previous posting on Saturday ref my STOLEN Trojan Toraktor above. We did have a couple of articles in Tractor & Machinery and the other mags when this was stolen. I did quite a lot of research when I restored our Trojan nearly thirty years ago for our children to use, (Ours was a MkI whereas yours is a MkIII).  Amongst other things I had moulds made for the bonnet, rear end and seat so that I could make a new bonnet which was missing from ours when we got it. A small correction to your comment that Lambretta bought out Trojan. This was not the case; Trojan made the Lambretta scooter and Bubble Car under licence when they were at Purley Way, Croydon. The Trojan company continued well into the 1980s when they ran a Formula 1 team for a while and Peter Agg had his own museum of Trojan stuff at Effingham Park in Surrey,  the curator there was very helpful to me with information. It might be of interest that the front wheels fitted to the MkI Trojan Toraktor were made from the metal that was punched out of the centre of the Lambretta wheels which accounts for their odd size. These were also used on the Trokart together with the steering swivels. Also they started to manufacture the Toraktor when an over-delivery of the Clinton engines came from America due to a duplicated order and had to be used for something. The design was modelled on the old Fordson tractor they had in the works with a skip on the back for removing the swarf from the machines. The name 'Toraktor' was devised from one of Trojan's associated companies, the TOR Equipment Co. My Toraktor was bought new in 1957 for the son of a local farmer for his 7th birthday and I got it from him. I also have an original sales leaflet which shows the price to have been £47/10/- in old money and you could have a trailer for an extra £10/10/-. Later on you could also have a separately motorised Clinton engined rotovator to fit to the back. I hope this might be of interest to Trojan afficionados out there and please keep an eye out for MY Trojan. I'm not sure whether they made a MkII but I did once see a photo of a Mk4 which looked more like the later Fordson tractors. These didn't sell well and the last batch to be manufactured were sold as a job lot through the local car auction. Funnily enough I might be joining you as I might have found a replacement for the Trojan in the form of an early Wheelhorse which is in a local farmer's barn if I can persuade him to part with it, I'll have to go back and pester him about it! Regards, TCS.