Sign in to follow this  
squonk

Lighting upgrade on the CHEAP!!

squonk

Every one knows how crappy the stock lighting on a C-160 is. Last year I bought a couple of Silverstar 1156 bujlbs. (I know, Duke hates them! icon_beer.gif) I cut out some HVAC foil tape and made a cheapie reflector. Here is the result:

DSCF0819.jpg

At work they are doing a lighting upgrade and installing reflectors in the fixtures. I scored a scap piece:

DSCF1090.jpg

I rermoved the foil and here's the bare bucket:

DSCF1087.jpg

I cut out a small piece and formed a new reflector:

DSCF1088.jpg

I siliconed them in place and reinstalled the Silverstars.(I know, Duke hates them! icon_trash.gif)

Here is the end result. I'm pretty happy with it! :banana-wrench:

DSCF1091.jpg

DSCF1092.jpg

dennist

Wow, Those look great!

AMC RULES

Mike, did I hear you say "Duke hates 'em?" :happy-wavemulticolor:

squonk

Mike, did I hear you say "Duke hates 'em?" :happy-wavemulticolor:

I think I read on one of his lighting posts his disdain for em.
  • Like 1

stevebo

Truckin88 had a post on those. Looks good !

JamesBe1

Just curious as to how much heat they put out. If they get too hot, they will melt your lens cover. I've seen plenty of melted lens covers over the years. Not sure if they were from people putting in bigger bulbs, or just inability to handle the heat from normal bulbs.

I don't use my lights much at all since they are pretty useless. I imagine most people don't use their lights for the same reason - hence not too much melting from the regular bulbs if you don't use them often.

Anyhow, that's my 2C. Let me know how your lens cover holds up.

James

AMC RULES

They do make 1156 automotive bulbs with LED's, if heat is a concern. :scratchead:

Should make more light, and be little to no heat on that lens. :eusa-think:

Search ebay, 1156 LED bulb. :thumbs:

squonk

I ran these bulbs last year with the reflective tape. No problems. The only change I did this year was the reflector. There is a small gap on top of the lensso air can get in and heat out. I don't think the Silverstars aremuch hotter than the stock bulbs if at all.

Lars

I've used mine a lot, there are quite dark early, in Norway, has no problems with the glass melt. have fixed the reflectors with aluminum. and standard bulbs lights actually very good. but use thick wires to the lights and one for each light, it helps a lot. don't get any voltage losses to the bulbs :)

meadowfield

They do make 1156 automotive bulbs with LED's, if heat is a concern. :scratchead:

Should make more light, and be little to no heat on that lens. :eusa-think:

Search ebay, 1156 LED bulb. :thumbs:

That's what I used ! From fleabay about a dollar each form china. Look up my C-101 restore, they are way brighter than the stock lamps!

...and less than a quarter of the power

Mark

Don1977

About the melted lens I have been there and done that. You might get by if it is cold enough, leave them in and mow on a hot summer night and watch them melt.

JamesBe1

I don't even have bulbs in my tractor any more as they produced way too much heat. They never put out enough light to be useful to begin with.

If I ever hood them back up I will use the high output led's to save my lens from melting. I think Mike's great idea of reflector material behind the bulbs is something that I will incorporate if/when I hook them back up.

squonk

Ran my lights in the pitch dark the other night for the first time for about an half hour. Lit up my back yard real good. I put my hand on the lens ans felt hardl;y any heat! :angry-extinguishflame: :angry-extinguishflame:

Lars

Have done a pilot project with Led now .. it works quite well, I made a new light bensel that is completely flat and put the LED on I have used 4x Super Bright Car Light Panel Lamps White 1156 36-LED

IMAG0457.jpg

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0461.jpg

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Love the LEDs. :omg:

• Like 1

Trouty56

Lars, very nice...very nice!!!!