Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

RJ Belt Idea

71_Bronco

Was thinking about the belt set-up on the RJ-58's & RJ-59's. I had 2 ideas that came to mind.

1 was to run a dual belt set-up. On my Pinto, there are 2 identical belts that run all the stuff on the front of the motor. I guess the concept was that if one breaks, it will still run okay.

My other idea came when I was looking at the old school choppers. What if you were to put like a 3 inch wide pulley set-up and run the wider belt on it.

Not sure how these would work with the way the clutch operates, but I'm sure it would be pretty cool none-the-less.

What do you guys think?

smoreau

I would guess that it would be a little over kill for a 4h Kohler, unless your going for looks. As a custom or rat tractor it would be cool and should work ok.

VinsRJ

I would guess that it would be a little over kill for a 4h Kohler, unless your going for looks. As a custom or rat tractor it would be cool and should work ok.

+2

ol550

Once you get a turbo installed you will need at least

a dual belt setup, roll cage, and wheelie bars.

HorseFixer

And a Juicy Ham Sandmitch! :lol:

AMC RULES

Not to mention the helmet, and full face shield. :happy-smileyinthebox:

Jake Kuhn

I think it would be cool if you made it work but I think it would be a little over kill on the little 4 horse kohler,Jake

VinsRJ

Also keep in mind if you want to run an attachment you will not have a pulley provision on the crank shaft.

You will have to also fab up a custom belt guard or pucker system too.

71_Bronco

Also keep in mind if you want to run an attachment you will not have a pulley provision on the crank shaft.

You will have to also fab up a custom belt guard or pucker system too.

Vin,

I have no plans of running any attachments on this tractor, this is strickly going to be a fun toy / show tractor.

As for the belt guard, I was thinking about fabing one of my own anyways, as I have the resources, so that is not an issue. What would be an issue though, is if I make a new guard, and it covers this "belt mod" and nobody can see it, unless I make a window and put some lexan in to prevent dirt and debris from falling in. I could secure the "window" in place with cap screws like I am using on the motor, so that may work.

The other big issue, is now I would either have to buy a pulley kit for a supercharger or something like that, and hope I can get the right pulley sizes, or I would have to make them, which wouldn't be too bad. I have access to a machine shop and a lathe, so those shouldnt be an issue. And then a belt, I would have to probably spec out a belt first, then make the pulleys to match.

TT

Reminder on the toothed drive belt....... it will not slip, so you will not be able to stop.

VinsRJ

Reminder on the toothed drive belt....... it will not slip, so you will not be able to stop.

Or shift gears for that matter.

71_Bronco

I thought about this too. even if I run a toothed belt, I could run a smooth pulley and you would think it would slip when the clutch was engaged.

I think the biggest problem I would run into is trying to find a belt. I did some preliminary searches, and came up with nothing that would work. If I recall correctly, the RJ belt is 29" long. I cannot find a belt that is roughly 3" wide, and 29" long.

buckeye25

i caution you that a dual belt set up or a wider belt set up will place a lot of strain on your input shaft due to the extra pull on the outer end of the pulley :scared-ghostface:

71_Bronco

i caution you that a dual belt set up or a wider belt set up will place a lot of strain on your input shaft due to the extra pull on the outer end of the pulley :scared-ghostface:

I was actually thinking about this to be honest, and was hoping someone would address it. While I think it would be a pretty cool idea, I think it should stay just that.