slufoot733

D-200 replacement mufflers

wheeledhorseman

Thanx Eric. If what I get direct from the Walker folks have changed (I hope Andy hasn't jinxed it!), then I might be calling George.

I'd like to see what kind of freeze out plugs you installed and how your assembled it all. I was planning on using a 1" pipe nipple and cap. Your way sounds like it might be easier.

BTW, does anyone know who actually manufacturers the mufflers for Toro?

:hide: I don't think I jinxed it. I'm not a gambling man but I might have been tempted as I kind of felt it might be the case.

Be interested to know what Walkers have to say - misprint in their catalog perhaps, but what's the Stanley connection? :dunno:

Andy

JamesBe1

I called Maple Grove Distributing hoping to catch the last of the Briggs mufflers, but the lady said that they didn't stock them. Oh well. I figured rather than send these back, I would give a stack configuration a shot. Turned out to be a pain in the neck as I had to install the FEL to see of it was even feasible. It turned out that it would work. Then I had to take it off along with the grill shroud to be able to install the pipe nipples and elbows as there wasn't enough room to spin on the elbows with the shroud installed. That took most of the afternoon. A couple of trips to the local hardware store, and I had most of what I needed. Spent a while getting everything about right and put it all together.

Here is the final result:

Here is a closeup of the piping. Sorry for cutting of the one side.

wheeledhorseman

Lookin' good James - it's becoming a bit of a beast! What next I wonder? :)

Andy

JamesBe1

Epilogue to the muffler story:

I sent a message to the Summit Racing folks explaining how Walker is apparently sending out Stanley mufflers, and that I had to do some fabrication work to be able to use them to meet a time line. I heard back from them earlier in the week, and the offered to refund 20% of the price of the mufflers. Now that's great customer support! I will definitely spend my hard earned dollars with them again.

JamesBe1

I picked up a couple of NOS D-series mufflers on ebay recently. Since the guy was only an hour away, I decided to pick them up along with a couple of other items that I bought from him through ebay. When I checked the mufflers, I found that they were not exactly D-Series mufflers. They were approximately the same size, but the body was about in inch or two longer which would make them hard to fit. Also, the bottoms of the mufflers weren't capped, and they were too long to use without having to cut them shorter. I passed on the sale, but while I was there I picked up several other items.

I have to say, Paul (the seller) was stellar to deal with. He had about two pallets of used and NOS wheel horse parts. We made a couple of deals for some wheel weights, some hydraulic hoses, a few gas gages, and some miscellany. He has lots of stuff, and the majority of it is NOS D-Series. Once again, he was great to deal with. I will probably get some money together and go down and buy lots of other stuff that I want (but don't necessarily need).

coldone

I saw them on ebay and thought they looked different.

The rest of your post makes me not like you too much right now.:D

How dare you live so close to so much NOS stuff while its so far away from me!

(somebody get a smiley with its tounge sticking out)

WE WANT PICS of what you get.

JamesBe1

I saw them on ebay and thought they looked different.

The rest of your post makes me not like you too much right now. :D

How dare you live so close to so much NOS stuff while its so far away from me!

(somebody get a smiley with its tounge sticking out)

WE WANT PICS of what you get.

Lol my friend!

I guess a fool like me deserve a bit of luck now and then. As even more luck would have it, I am starting a new job Monday morning a couple of towns over. I have a feeling that I will be visiting him several times this summer.

Since you wanted pics, and I felt like gloating:

Never thought I would run across a dash panel light, and the hoses just happen to be two of the four that I need for my C-145. I have a full set coming from Surplus-Center any day now.

Cool Wheel Weights. I have to go back and get the other set.

Since my lift arms seem a bit out of shape, I picked up a set. I have to go back and get the 4th one next week I hope.

New watchamacallit pads for the foot rests. I'd like to find this stuff on McMasters and order a big roll of it.

I had no idea that the headlights came in a kit form, but here it is complete with instructions. I will scan that in when I get a chance.

Three NOS Fuel gages. I'm sure Andy would cry if he knew how much I paid for them. BTW, they say Kelch on the side.

NOS fuel filter adapter kit for the K482 that I am haphazardly putting back together (with a lot of help from the experts here).

coldone

He wouldnt nappen to have a turning brake pad? I only need one.

JamesBe1

He wouldnt nappen to have a turning brake pad? I only need one.

I'll ask. I didn't see any when I went through the pallets, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

wheeledhorseman

Congatulations, seems you've found a little treasure trove there James - never know but you might consider becoming a professional WH NOS treasure hunter. Sadly there's very little 'treasure' to be found over here!

Three NOS Fuel gages. I'm sure Andy would cry if he knew how much I paid for them. BTW, they say Kelch on the side.

Yep, there's many things that could make a grown man cry, not just the NOS stuff that turns up in the US but also the going rate for buying D series. Mine would have been parted out as being worth more that way on your side of the pond but here they're very rare here and worth saving despite the costs involved. (That's what I have to keep telling myself!)

Andy

Wmanning416

Napa 21040 muffler.  1 3/8 inlet and outlet.  3 1/4 inch shell diameter.  9 1/2 inch shell length.  Check it out on their site.  Fits with little to no modifications depending on your setup.  Worked perfect on my 78 d160.  Paid $26 each with my company discount.

coldone

Thanks for the info Wmanning416.

And I still aint liking James much. :ychain:

chrisd200(inactive)

Wish I could figure out who made these and the cost

chrisd200(inactive)

Wish I could figure out who made these and the cost

OK, pic didn't load...........sorry

JamesBe1

Thanks for the info Wmanning416.

And I still aint liking James much. :ychain:

Lol!

Thanx Britt.  If it makes you feel any better, the mufflers weren't exactly the right ones.  They were slightly too long to fit properly.  I wonder if perhaps they could have been for a D-160.  Not sure of the exhaust port height from the frame for the Onans, but other than that, I have no idea what they could be to.  I felt really bad taking them back to the seller (he's a heck of a nice guy) and explaining that they weren't really the right ones.

Wmanning416 - did they have any makers marks on them?  I think they might be retagged Walker Mufflers which I used in a stack configuration.  For some reason, they didn't fit with my Kohler engine.

Wmanning416

No markings on them that I can see. Mine has an Onan engine. Must have a little more room than the kohler. Muffler bodies were bigger than the description said in the catalog. Still fit in the grill frame with room to spare.

Kegs35

Hey Guys,

Anyone still looking for the Briggs & Stratton 291519 mufflers please check out my ad in the classified section.  I have plenty of these in stock to help out all of you.  They are 100% authentic B/S parts, and not some cheap aftermarket copies that don't even come close to lining up.  They are brand new & still in the original factory cartons.  This way you can just bolt them on & get back to work instead of having to "reinvent the wheel" by trying to fab up something using alternative parts.  I know how hard it is to find parts for these older machines, and I am happy to help you guys out in any way I can. 

slufoot733

As info, I just met up with Kegs35 and bought two NOS B&S 291519 mufflers. Super nice guy and he has what he says he has. These are brand new, "in the box" original mufflers. They are stamped NELSON on the side. These are quality heavy steel construction. I am very happy to get a pair for my D-200. The other cheap mufflers I bought last year didn't last. One cracked before the winter was over. And they were louder than I thought they should be. These new mufflers should work nicely.

If any of you D series owners need new mufflers contact Kegs35 soon. He has a limited supply. And since these mufflers can be applied to many other engines they may not last.

chipwitch

Sorry for resurrecting a long deceased thread, but was hoping some of you may still be active members.  I'm curious how well your exhausts are holding up?  I have a couple of the Stanley IH-1 mufflers to fit to my D-160 and am concerned about the weight and supporting them properly.  Seems to me the rigid setups, especially of the stack conversions, would strain the exhaust ports on the engine.  You aren't stripping bolts, breaking anything?  I have the Onan-16.

I was thinking about cutting down the IH-1 cans to a more comfortable size.

pfrederi

My Briggs 291519 have had not issues whatsoever.  4-5 years now. I do not care for stack.  They put stress on the block and dump the exhaust at face level.

JamesBe1

I haven't had the opportunity to run them much.  A couple of months after getting things all back together, I had a broken rod on the engine (if I recall correctly).  I had a spare engine that I decided to rebuild and install.  After I got it installed, I noticed an oil leak that requires a complete disassembly.  About that time, I started a new job with a killer commute.  I wish I could find time to get it sorted out.  Seems like whenever I have any free time from work, there are several other more pressing projects to get done.  Sigh.

But, for the time I had it going, there was no problems with the stress on the block.  One thing I did notice was that the pipes and elbows would work them selves loose from the heat and vibration.  That made the mufflers sorta sag.  Someone suggested that I use locking nuts to keep things from turning.  The correct name eludes me at the moment.  They are the nuts that electricians use to hold conduit and strain reliefs in place in junction boxes.  I never got the chance to install them to see how it helps. :(

chipwitch

That would be locknuts.  But they probably won't work on NPT threads the way you're talking about.  They only have about a turn and a half (if that) of thread.  I guess it would depend on how the pipe joints fit. You may have to leave the joint loose to leave room for the locknut and that won't be good.

Thanks for the replies.  Still, hanging that much torque on the aluminum exhaust port makes me uneasy.  I decided to go with a flex connector between the port and muffler.  That should do it.