Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Clinton Engines

Prater

I picked these engines up a few weeks back. They were from a shop that sold out and these were sitting on a covered porch at a home repair shop. Please help me identify these engines as I really have no clue about the Clintons.

Engine 1, No tag

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

Prater

Engine 2

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

stevebo

Engine 1 looks like either a 1200, 1290 or 498. Correct for RJ's. Number 2 ???

Prater

Engine 3

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

Prater

Engine 4, service tag states model 498-0301-185 New rings, gaskets, seals, and valve job. It also states that it runs good but I do not have a stand to test it on.

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

Prater

I have 2 more complete engines but I cant get to them tonight. i will post them tomorrow. Where do you find the id numbers on these engines?

VinsRJ

Steve is right on, they are either model 1200/B1290/498s. The way you can tell for sure is to pull the oil pain and look at the crankshaft roller barings. 1200 Clintons will have a straight roller bearing. B1290/498's will have a tapered roller bearing. Parts for both models pretty much interchange, but there are slight diferences between both.

The flared oil pans will not work on a RJ unless you re-drill the pan and cut off a small part off the flared on one side.

The Clinton with the fully covered blower housing and top screne were used on Yazoo's. I believe the blower housing and flywheel were non-standard compared to standard Clinton 1200/B1290/498s..... but don't hold me to that statement in its entirety. :angry-nono:

Also if you were looking to sell one or two I would be interested. Thanks Vince

Prater

Engine 5, service tag states model 1290 New rings, gaskets, seals, and valve job. Also states that it runs good.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

Engine 6, model 498

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

Retired Wrencher

:USA: :wh: Looks like u hit the Jackpot on this one very nice collection are you planing any use for these??????? Gary B............................

Prater

Gary,

Probably sell them once I get them all cleaned up. Trying to decide if I want to get them running and sell, or sell as they are.

clintonnut

OK, They are all 498 series engines and all the engines with the Big dust cover mounted on the front are off Yazoo walk behind mowers and although they are clintons they are made in the early 1970's buy a company in Singapore called Newton. Very late model clinton but nothing different than one made in Maquoketa IA