Sign in to follow this  
daemon2525

Gear drive deck for 1057

daemon2525

Sorry, I do not have a picture of the deck, but I got my 1057 with no attachments and have looked around for a deck.

I found one of the old style decks. 36" with the gears and the two belts running the shaft.

Now I have seen this deck on the smaller tractor with a belt going from the engine to the pulley on the deck and the foot operated idler pully.

Well, my tractor has the 2 sheave PTO on the side. Can I just run a belt tight between this PTO and the single available pulley on the deck? Or is there an idler of any kind that is required? OR maybe the wrong deck and will not work at all?

thanks

Larry in Ft Wayne.

TT

Larry, there were 36" 2 blade decks made for the long frame tractors ("RL-36x" model number), but there is a large difference in the front pulley. (compared to the medium frame decks) This was done to compensate for the larger PTO pulley on the engine.

They used a spring loaded "V" idler fastened to an arm on the right mid-hitch plate which kept constant tension on the drive belt. (in place of the foot operated PTO idler on the medium-frame tractors)

I posted a picture of my RL-366 deck HERE, but it's not mounted to my 1056 in that photo.

You can use the "RM" gear drive decks on a long frame tractor if the proper length drive belt is fitted, but it will turn much faster than the deck with the larger outside pulley groove. (it might blow apart! :whistle: )

daemon2525

So, it looks like I have the wrong deck. That figures!

daemon2525

Sorry, I was frustrated in the last post.

So, all of the decks that I see on E-bay look like they need a mule drive. I cannot mount a mule drive because I have no front tac-a-matic.

Then I buy this one and it does not work.

What in the hell am I looking for? a hens tooth?

I do already have a front tac-a-matic coming that I thought that I would re-engineer to fit on my machine. Would that allow me to run a newer style deck?

Oh, Yeah..TT is the pulley loose on the one in your picture? Or is it suppose to be tilted like that when operating? I might redesign the pulley on the one that I have?

thanks for all of your help.

TT

The front mounted tensioner is "the only way to go" when fitting a newer deck to the older pre-Attach-Matic long frame tractors.

TT's Attach-Matic conversion link.

The pulley IS loose on my deck because I have finally found a NOS one after 3 years of searching and have yet to buy new bearings. I put it with the deck so I wouldn't loose it. :whistle:

That pulley (P/N 6908) is THE difference between the medium frame and long frame "stamped shell" 36" gear drive decks.

daemon2525

Thanks, at least I know my options now. It looks like I bought RM-366. It is in great shape though.

Like I said, I do have a front attach on its way to me. I am not looking forward to finding the new deck though. I do not live in PA.

My wife is gonna kill me when I have to pay for another deck but I wanted a larger deck anyway.

Or I could steal part #6908 from someone. Where did you say that you lived?

thanks again.

TT

I do have an extra 6908 pulley that needs the bearing bores machined and sleeved. If you have any machinist connections, it wouldn't be a tough job to accomplish. I just happened to stumble across the NOS pulley for a good price and bought it so I didn't have to mess with the old one. :WRS:

I can even take pictures of the tensioner (and get you some dimensions) if you really want to use your RM deck. (since you already have it.) :whistle:

daemon2525

I would like pictures of the Tensioner. I think that I understand how it works, but would like to be sure. The pulley, I might have to take you up on that but let me explore my options. I don't want to put you out of your part, but think about what you might want for it and PM me.