Sign in to follow this  
DMK855

Two into one.......

DMK855

Last Tuesday I started the task of sorting out safety switch problems on my recently aquired SK486. With in minutes I had taced it to the clutch switch. That led to me taking the belt cover off and finding that the bottom of the dash tower had way to much rust to even be worth tackling!! At that point I pushed the GT2500 around to compare the two. The GT2500 has a bad Briggs and was more or less awaiting a Kohler swap. They appear to be pretty identical machines other that the engines.

After some pondering, I have decided to tear down the two tractors and use the best parts from each to build one good "worker"! Some of the other parts will be recycled among the others, and anything left will be up for grabs!! Needless to say the SK486 is completely apart and we are starting on the GT2500 today.

I will try to have some pics of the progress later as well as some opinion questions on the color scheme to go with!! Here are some before pics of the two.

2vcgqia.jpg

35arvr7.jpg

smoreau

Sounds like you got it covered. Good idea and should make a nice dependable worker! :thumbs2:

Sparky

Yep, I would use the engine off the SK, the seat off the GT, the tranny from the SK...etc...

Good project!

Mike..........

Jake Kuhn

Sounds like it will make a nice worker,Jake

HorseFixer

Some times it takes a Double Wammie to make one good one. :thumbs: Neat Project.

Cheers ~Duke

:beer:

DMK855

Well as of kick off time this afternoon, I now have both tractors torn down, new seals in the SK trans., and am starting to sort parts. Looking forward to getting it together!! Pics to come soon.

DMK855

The task of sorting parts has begun...... Like all projects, I seem to get a little carried away!!

2mez3lz.jpg

DMK855

The first parts to hit the sandblast cabinet........

15mgzh3.jpg

Sparky

The task of sorting parts has begun...... Like all projects, I seem to get a little carried away!!

2mez3lz.jpg

But in the end you will know you have a stout tractor assembled with the best parts.

Mike............

DMK855

I have not had time to get the frame sand blasted so I have been trying to get the engine spruced up a little. Not perfect, but better than what it was. Few more pieces to go and it will be all done!!

m7w8lc.jpg

WH Raider10

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

AMC RULES

Looks like you're on a mission. :handgestures-thumbup:

DMK855

Worked on my "Hillbilly Windchimes" (as my wife calls them) today. I have quite a few of the small parts sandblasted, and some of them primed. I have a friend picking up some paint tomorrow, as my local TSC has decided not to carry the Restoration Series paint. Hoping to get the frame, front axle, and wheels out to the sandblaster towards the end of next week. Then I can really get rolling!!

xfn2ps.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Looks good! :handgestures-thumbup:

massey

Looking good so far. Hillbilly windchimes...now that's funny.

DMK855

Progress has been made, but not as much as I would like!! I have quite a few small parts media blasted, primed, and painted. I am starting a new job on Monday so I have been moving my tools and equipment to the new shop.

Here are a few pics of the progress so far.

Will get new hardware before it hits the tractor!!

xgk6es.jpg

More "windchimes"

n9eex.jpg

and some more

2pqt9jr.jpg

And the little man wants to know why his tractors are not getting worked on.......

v67o1u.jpg

DMK855

Now a question for some of the others who have went down this road. What is the best way to "restore" the finish on the hoop for the PTO and the PTO handle?? Thanks in advance!!

can whlvr

is the finish still there or is it rusted away,if its there you could try a soft wire wheel and buff it,but if its gone it will need to be coated again,some guys here have had stuff replated,but i would think you need a bit of a load,they may turn there nose up at a small job like that

DMK855

Ahhhh.....   A long lost thread.  I have only gotten more parts painted, wrapped, and stored since this all started.  The issue that I have now is that or camera and computer that I had during this project are no longer with us well as all the pictures.  If anyone has a similar tractor restoration thread or pics, please let me know.  I would like to get  back on this here in the next couple of months after I finish up the Cub project I am in the middle of.  I have looked at all the parts breakdowns and have some parts I am still unsure of!!  Thanks!!