Sign in to follow this  
68commando8

Howdy from Almost Heaven.....Wv

68commando8

Have known about Red Square for a long time. Even visited here a few times and read some posts. Probably recognize a few of you from mytractorforum.

You can probably tell what tractor I have by my handle. Just bought a 1995 520 H. Don't even have her home yet. I'll get some pics up soon.

Joe

post-6057-0-38737800-1326854444.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

:WRS:

Mike............

Kelly

:WRS: nice commando

AMC RULES

Really nice looking Commando Joe, looks pretty original. :scratchead: What's the story behind it? :WRS:

68commando8

WoW! Hello everybody!! Real nice welcome!

Craig, story behind the commando is......I pulled into a......uh.........J.D. dealership (am I aloud to say that name here?) and it was sitting outside next to the building. It really was loveat first sight, seriously. I thought it was the best looking little tractor I'd ever seen. And, it looked like it could be used as a minesweeper it was built so heavy. I went in, talked with the salesman. Yes, it had just been traded in. Yes it was for sale. I made the deal on the spot and took her home. That was over ten yrs. ago and other than change the oil and air cleaner she's just the way I bought her. I just did get arouhnd to changing belts this past summer. Best running piece of equipmet I own.

Joe

• Like 1

tunahead72

Hey Joe, :WRS:

You do know the Commando 8 is the featured tractor at this year's annual WH show in Pennsylvania, right? Any chance we'll see yours there?

Rollerman

Joe really nice Commando 8 & :WRS:

68commando8

Hey Joe, :WRS:

You do know the Commando 8 is the featured tractor at this year's annual WH show in Pennsylvania, right? Any chance we'll see yours there?

No sir, I wasn't aware of that fact. When and where in Pa is it? I might try to make it if I can.

Thanks for the heads up and I thank all of you for the kind words about the little old Commando 8. She's my little baby! LOL. You can read her history above.

Joe

68commando8

Coupla more pictures.....

I just bought a 1995 520-H. I don't even have here yet but I'll be getting it on Fri.

I'll be having some questions about. it. What all attachments are available for the 520's? Are there any weak points to that model? It seems it could be used to clear minefields as heavy built as it appears.

Joe

post-6057-0-85557500-1326886508.jpg

post-6057-0-49252800-1326886519.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Could you post a pict of the Commando's dash Joe?

VinsRJ

Very nice Commando, Welcome!

68commando8

Could you post a pict of the Commando's dash Joe?

I'll try to get one on here soon. I have to go out and take one.

Joe

jay in nc

nice commando! ive got one too! i will be taking mine to ardentsville pa in june. welcome to redsquare.

tunahead72

No sir, I wasn't aware of that fact. When and where in Pa is it? I might try to make it if I can.

It's in Arendtsville, which is a tiny dot near another tiny dot called Biglerville, near Gettysburg in south central Pennsylvania, on June 22-23 this year. The show is organized by the Wheel Horse Collectors Club, and you can read about them and the show at www.wheelhorsecc.com, and you'll hear more about it in the Shows and Events section of RedSquare.

I just attended my very first show there last summer, and had a blast! Met a bunch of real nice RS folks, saw a lot of nice Wheel Horses, and just had a lot of fun -- I'll be back again this year, hope you can make it too.

68commando8

Thnks for the heads up on Arendtsville. I'm less than 60 miles away! Good possibility I'll make it.

Going to try to post the dash pic for Craig.......That red generator light on the dsah burnt out about two years ago. After that I'd have to charge the battery every so often. I got ambitious last spring and replaced the bulb and whatever the problem was it went away. I remember reading somewhere that the bulb needed to be good for the battery to charge. I don't know but it worked for me. It still has the original starter/generator system with the box V/R.

I like old TYroy Bilt tillers. Pic shows some of them. I have one more Pony. Probably going to sell them this spring though. Only keeping one Horse and one Pony. Need to make room for the 520-H that I got the other day. All these Horses are Kohler motors and the Ponys are both Briggs.

Joe

post-6057-0-61933900-1326973243_thumb.jp

post-6057-0-73174200-1326973276_thumb.jp

post-6057-0-82264900-1326973305_thumb.jp

AMC RULES

Thanks for the dash pict. Joe, been looking for a nice example of an original to use as reference when I restore mine. :handgestures-thumbup:

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm your generator light theory, does the light need to be working for the battery to charge? :scratchead:

Jake Kuhn

68commando8

Thanks for the dash pict. Joe, been looking for a nice example of an original to use as reference when I restore mine. :handgestures-thumbup:

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm your generator light theory, does the light need to be working for the battery to charge? :scratchead:

can't confirm it Craig but it really did seem to work for me. I would have to charge the battery from time to time as I said. Since I replaced the bulb it has never needed to be charged. If you need more or better pics of that dash just ask. U'll pull it out in the daylight and shoot some more.

Joe

Thanks Jake.

68commando8

Hey Craig. Forgot to mention that the lighter works. I don't thik it's original though.

Joe

AMC RULES

The wiring for my lighter is long gone, M.I.A. :confusion-shrug:

Think I could get an image of the back of the dash that shows how it's hooked up too Joe? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

JC 1965

That is a fine looking little tractor Joe. :thumbs2: Take care of it and it will last a long time. :WRS:

68commando8

Think I could get an image of the back of the dash that shows how it's hooked up too Joe? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Will these work? (Click on them to make 'em bigger)

I just noticed something.........Where's that ignition lamp?

Joe

post-6057-0-51483200-1327010165_thumb.jp

post-6057-0-55386400-1327010347_thumb.jp

• Like 1

tunahead72

I like old TYroy Bilt tillers. Pic shows some of them. I have one more Pony. Probably going to sell them this spring though. Only keeping one Horse and one Pony. Need to make room for the 520-H that I got the other day. All these Horses are Kohler motors and the Ponys are both Briggs.

Nice collection of Troy-Bilts there, Joe. I have an older 7 HP Horse that I bought used in 1982 (I think), it's one of those purchases I made a long time ago that I look back at now and say, "Yeah, that was a good idea!". They seem to fit with Wheel Horses somehow.

Hope to see you at the show!

can whlvr

krazy_horse

Very nice tractor. I like the weather seal on the lighter. Jim