Sign in to follow this  
Lane Huls

Lawn Ranger Engine Swap

Lane Huls

I have a lawn ranger with either a k141 or k161 kohler on it, and it is really far gone(engine). I would like to put something else in it, rather than a kohler because wiring isnt exactly my specialty, i was thinking of a number style briggs like a 14 or a 19. Is there enogh space under the hood, and will i have to do any modifying of the chassis to get it to fit? And most importantly, do you guys think it will work well, and do you approve?

sorekiwi

I'm not familiar with the Briggs engines you are talking about, so I cant really comment on that. I have a Lawn Ranger with a Kohler and to be honest I wouldnt want anything else.

Wiring on the Kohler is about as simple as you can get, I really doubt a Briggs could be any simpler. If you give us some details on the type of Kohler or even some pictures, someone should be able to come up with a wiring schematic to help you wire it.

Sparky

I have a lawn ranger with either a k141 or k161 kohler on it, and it is really far gone(engine).

Are you sure its a Kohler :scratchead: ? The Lawn Rangers were originally Tecumseh powered machines.

Mike..........

HorseFixer

I have a lawn ranger with either a k141 or k161 kohler on it, and it is really far gone(engine).

Are you sure its a Kohler :scratchead: ? The Lawn Rangers were originally Tecumseh powered machines.

Mike..........

I'm with Mike on this. And why are you trying to put a 14 - 19 hp in a LawnRanger? :scratchead:

Oh and pictures would help! :thumbs:

~Duke

Sparky

Duke. Those numbers dont represent hp with the Briggs motors. Wish I could tell you what they designate but I'm not sure.

Mike.............

Rooster

Duke. Those numbers dont represent hp with the Briggs motors. Wish I could tell you what they designate but I'm not sure.

Mike.............

Displacement, in cubic inches.

Lane Huls

I dont have pictures on me, but yes im sure it is a kohler, it may have had a transplant in the past, those briggs are approx. the same size, and there is no wiring, all internal no battery ect.

Kelly

A pull start Kohler only has a kill wire like a Briggs, so wiring is not a issue unless someone has swaped a elect. start engine in to it? and that would be a tight fit with a batt. unless it's a early model Ranger.

sorekiwi

Like Kelly says, a recoil start Kohler only has the kill wire.

In fact the Kohler in my Lawn Ranger has no external wiring at all, I use the little button on the points cover to shut her down.

Lane Huls

I know its hard without pics, but it has a k141 in it with a gen on it and a battery box that looks original, i dotn know if they ever had different fenders on them but it has square top fenders, the engine appears to be a perfect fit in there, so i really dont know, ill look through all the pics on my comp to see if i can come up with a pic for you guys.

Kelly

Are you sure it's a lawn ranger?? could be a belt guard swap? pictures will tell the story.

Lane Huls

Hope i did this right, so here are some pictures!

Sparky

Yep, its a Lawn Ranger with a Kohler (probably from a John Deere).

Mike..........

Lane Huls

Id say it is that would explain the appearing green paint, my next question, now with a positive id is how hard would it be for me to get an original engine? And at what cost?

Kelly

They moved the engine forward a few inches to make it fit with the starter, and like many round hood tractors put a hinge on the hood, as for finding a Good tucky they are out there but most need carb work, and that can be a pain in the butt, I know a few members here have used the Honda clone engines with pretty good luck, and they can be had for under $100 brand new, might be a thought.

Lane Huls

And what particular model am i after? I like to think i am very mechanically inclined, and i find carbs a joy, so maybe this will turn into a nice restoration project!

Kelly

Correct engine is a Tecumseh H60 6hp, but a HH60 is the same just cast iron not alum. many are pull start and will only need a kill switch.

wheelhorse656

I have good H60 block with all the internals. all it needs is the coil and a carb. $45 plus shipping P.M. if you are interested. Local pick up is offerd as well. It doesent smoke and it ran pretty good until i stole the carb for my 656.