Hodge71

D Series Restoration

Hodge71

Todays progress. I used my 12 ton hydraulic puller and got the hubs flush with the axle ends. The brakes have no more intereference with the calipers. I did find a huge issue with the bolts holding the discs onto the hubs. Apparently someone took them off at some point and lost the bolts somehow. They didnt have the right length bolt so they installed the calipers with bolts that were over a half inch too long. They put 4 washers behind them to take up the slack...ugh. The darn things wouldnt even make a quarter turn without a bolt head hitting the caliper bracket. So I installed the right length and only a lockwasher like the installation instructions call for and now its perfect. I also got the remote oil filter system mounted and then the snow came. So I moved inside and redid the upper dash. I know its supposed to be white but for some reason I wanted red....I guess my own little twist. Its not perfect but its alot better than just plain black, and the red kinda pops too!!post-1339-0-97449700-1334188917_thumb.jp

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Andy, I'm rather curious, what do they call redneck engineering in you neck of the woods?

JamesBe1

Todays progress. I used my 12 ton hydraulic puller and got the hubs flush with the axle ends. The brakes have no more intereference with the calipers. I did find a huge issue with the bolts holding the discs onto the hubs. Apparently someone took them off at some point and lost the bolts somehow. They didnt have the right length bolt so they installed the calipers with bolt s that were over a half inch too long. The darn things would even make a quarter turn without a bolt head hitting the caliper bracket. So I installed the right length and only a lockwasher like the installation instructions call for and now its perfect. I also got the remote oil filter system mounted and then the snow came. So I moved inside and redid the upper dash. I know its supposed to be white but for some reason I wanted red....I guess my own little twist. Its not perfect but its alot better than just plain black, and the red kinda pops too!!post-1339-0-97449700-1334188917_thumb.jp

That's pretty cool Jeff. I like the red.

Now that you have me thinking out of the box, I wonder - why stop at just one color? If I ever have the opportunity to repaint one, I might just think of color coding the dash controls.

wheeledhorseman

The red looks cool Jeff :thumbs: . I'm not keen on the original WH white on black and will probably be shot for saying this but to me the white on black looks kind of cheap. I did my C-120 dash silver on black and will do the same on the D-200. After all, there's got to be some scope for 'pimping your ride' in these projects. Got to figure out a repair for my dash before I can paint it - its the type with many dials and has a crack down the middle where the palstic has shrunk in the sun over the years. Seen the same thing on photos of other guy's Ds.

There I go using Americanisms like 'pimping' again but such is the power of the internet and with so much US stuff on tv here we've tended to adopt certain phrases and terms where there are gaps in our version of the language. James asked:

Andy, I'm rather curious, what do they call redneck engineering in you neck of the woods?

Racked my brains on this one. I can't put down the sorts of words I actually use when I unearth some of these things on projects but the respectable traditional term for them is a 'bodge', the person who does it is a 'bodger' and the result is a 'bodged job'. In reality 'redneck job' or similar is becoming used as a result of the humour that circulates across the pond via email. I'm not convinced that there are many 'Walmart People' over here though but we'd know one if we saw one, again down to global nature of the internet.

trip.jpg

Andy.

• Like 1

Hodge71

Reassembly has been slow. But got a present today. A new to me D mule drive, this and a NOS hub cost me a whopping $47. That old dealer my Dad knows left me poke around awhile and I found some stuff. Hopefully I get longer next time. Heres the pics of the mule drive before and after...post-1339-0-12540100-1334453213_thumb.jppost-1339-0-77785900-1334453246_thumb.jppost-1339-0-85657600-1334453285_thumb.jppost-1339-0-55946700-1334453413_thumb.jppost-1339-0-51380100-1334453730_thumb.jppost-1339-0-58099100-1334453502_thumb.jppost-1339-0-81530700-1334453693_thumb.jppost-1339-0-73682100-1334453844_thumb.jppost-1339-0-41718400-1334453884_thumb.jp

wheeledhorseman

Nice score Jeff , and I'd say a steal at that price!

No chance of finding one of those for my D over here so I'm contemplating having to put one together myself.

If you do get the chance to have a poke around again have a look for me - a couple of NOS pulleys for the mule would be a start.

Andy

Hodge71

Andy,

While I have this apart I could measure my pulleys and such that way you have an idea what bearings, pulleys, shaft size etc you will need to fab your own up.

wheeledhorseman

Thanks for the offer Jeff.

Tim (Tap53) sent me all the measurements a time ago when I first mentioned I'd have to fab one.

I haven't checked the availability of similar sized pulleys over here but they'll likely be metric.

I'll go that route if I have to but for the moment my aim is to get hold of original pulleys if I can.

Andy

Hodge71

Heres pics of what gone done today...I got my hydro pump installed today but had the wind taken outta the sails when I figured out Northeast Hydro lost all the parts that attach to the hydro pump for the motinn controls...ugh...post-1339-0-47245500-1334619762_thumb.jp Heres a closeup of the area that the bracket bolts to on the pump. From what I remember is kind of an oblong triangle shape with a lever to the pumps direction control and bolts to the 3 holes shownpost-1339-0-22885800-1334619780_thumb.jp

I got the throttle control, motion control, PTO lever and solenoid painted. I used Rustoleum Hammered Finish in silver for a little bling and to set it apart a bit. post-1339-0-44579600-1334619818_thumb.jppost-1339-0-42335900-1334619840_thumb.jp

The mule drive is painted and reassembled too. post-1339-0-40075000-1334619858_thumb.jp

I also got the remote oil filter mounted in a good are with no interference and got the hoses plumbed uppost-1339-0-84287700-1334619798_thumb.jp

otrelwood

there is a d mule drive on evilbay now but i dont know what shipping would be over the big pond

coldone

I haven't checked the availability of similar sized pulleys over here but they'll likely be metric.

I'll go that route if I have to but for the moment my aim is to get hold of original pulleys if I can.

Andy

Do they have to be NOS? I got generic replacement pullies for mine at AGRISUPPLY.

wheeledhorseman

Love the silver finish on those parts Jeff, I'm going to try it on some of the bits on mine that are past their best but I hope we're not entering a pimp your horse competition - could have disasterous consequences.

Thanks for the fleabay tip Lonny, I suspect shipping for heavy items will be prohibitive. Fabbing one will be a nice challenge.

Like your thinking 'coldone' I'll check the equivalent sort of suppliers over here as you're right they don't need to be NOS.

Andy

CRE1992

I like the hammer finished silver! Ill have to remember that next time I paint something.

JamesBe1

Hey, there is a NOS turning brake kit on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350558410040&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I doubt that we are ever going to see a NOS one there again. I wish I could afford it, I would buy it just to use as a template to fab parts against.

wheeledhorseman

Re Mule Drive - Lonny's found me one that 'aint pretty' or in perfect condition :woohoo: so hopefully it will be making a trip across the pond.

Re the NOS kit - a man can drool! Just in case the auction link gets removed here's the pic in high res.

TurnBrakes.jpg

It a great reference - exactly the same as my kit even down to the two sets of spacers that sit between the caliper mount and the tractor frame - so maybe the springs on mine are supposed to go to the spacers rather than a bracket on the caliper.

Andy

JamesBe1

Lol. I am glad I am not the only one to keep a copy of the picture for reference. I guess great minds think alike. Too bad it wasn't taken against a ruled background.

otrelwood

hey if you guys ever get your tractors done and all the bugs worked out what am i gonna read to get mine together properly? Andy,got tied up today ,but your mule drive is in the back of my pickup heading for postoffice for weight and cost in the mornlng

Trouty56

Hmmmm....I'd consider that brake system if my hubs weren't so beat up. Probably won't come off anyway...

Hodge71

More progress today, even if it was a small amount. Got my new exhaust gasket material and made new gaskets. I also got the exhaust painted and mounted up.post-1339-0-97328200-1335397859_thumb.jp

I got a present from the guy at Ringtown. He gave my Dad a call and gave him a gas cap for me. I had spoke to him last week when he left me pick through a few random piles of stuff and he said he wasnt sure he had one. Well I expected it to be the chrome kind that was on it. Lets just say it wasnt.... :jaw:

post-1339-0-83903600-1335397898_thumb.jppost-1339-0-57141100-1335397879_thumb.jpI have no idea where he found it or if it is NOS :wh: . It says Kelch on it, not sure if thats who made them for Wheel Horse but I have found them now on Amazon and such for $10- $30 depending on the length.

I also got my bracket assortment from Kelly for the motion control on the hydro pump and started figuring them out. This bracket was actually broken right in half where the pump direction control shaft went went through.

Beforepost-1339-0-97492500-1335398740.jpg...

and after post-1339-0-13599700-1335398352_thumb.jppost-1339-0-23623300-1335398373_thumb.jp It was cast iron so I was able to heat it cherry red with the oxyacetylene torch and then weld it once it was hot. I then put it into an asbestos pouch and left it cool until today so that it wouldnt crack at the welds I couldnt believe it was actually still warm to the touch this morning. Today I threw it on the milling machine and milled the surfaces flat again.

post-1339-0-46803300-1335398394_thumb.jp

JamesBe1

Wow! Fantastic progress Jeff. Andy is going to be jealous for that gas cap for sure.

Looking at the front axle on yours, I see how different it is from mine. I'm going to have to do something about that. Good thing I have a parts tractor.

I like the weld job you did on the cast iron piece. Lucky that you have access to a milling machine. How did the center hole turn out? Any burrs or anything?

Have fun figuring out how it all goes back together. It's kinda like a jigsaw puzzle. If I hadn't taken pictures of mine when I took it off the first time, I would have been working on it for a long while trying to figure it out. Hope you took pics ahead of time, if not, and you need them, let me know.

I'm going to have to fab an exhaust, and I think I am going to go with a single exhaust like yours. You wouldn't happen to have a list of what you used would you?

AMC RULES

Looks like you're making some great progress Jeff, are we going to get a video of the first test drive once completed? :scratchead:

Hodge71

There will be a video Craig. I hope to get that far in the next 2 weeks. I got alot of projects coming my way now.. Charles is bringing me a 60" deck on th 19th of May for my top secret project so it needs to be running by then. And hopefully tomorrow I will be picking up 2 RJ's, a 551 and a 400. None of which run at the moment. My goal is to get the 551 running and use that to mow around here for a bit. Maybe a ratrod for my son out of another 1 and who knows what I'll do once I get the other 2 running....lol...WHAT THE HECK AM I THINKING?? :huhs:

Cody

The tractor looks Great Jeff! Your not far from me if you ever need anything i only live about 45 min from the pocono's.

JamesBe1

The tractor looks Great Jeff! Your not far from me if you ever need anything i only live about 45 min from the pocono's.

All right! Another yocal. I am in NNJ.

Jeff, let me know, I am not that far either. I'd be glad to stop by and lend a hand too.