Hodge71

D Series Restoration

racin_ny

For guys that need a center PTO bearing Toro Consumer 102915 Bearing-Ball it is a F..A..G 6009 available to order at Tractor Supply for $10.88 + 6.00 shipping.

• Like 2

JackC

The hood has correct sized bushings and bolts very similar to the way the seats are hinged on the C, 300, 400, 500 series.

Joe's-Outdoor-Power often parts out D's.

Hodge71

Resurrecting oldie but I made some more progress with my dad on truly finishing this tractor. I never put the headlights in or wired  them and the fender lights. It needs major work getting the plow squared away but we are about halfway on that and it has a fully functioning sealed exhaust manifold again. My Dad welded the cast-iron and we installed a stud instead of a bolt. I used an allen wrench to hold the stud from twisting and tightened the manifold.   Its got the pipe to raise it above the hood level in an effort to stoop the black spots and get the exhaust out of my face..heres some pics to show things as they sit tonight….

post-1339-0-98385700-1391127230_thumb.jp exhaust and stack with flapper

post-1339-0-46602100-1391127265_thumb.jp rear LED tail lights

post-1339-0-59377600-1391127298_thumb.jpfront Amber LED on the fenders instead of reflectors…stink in headlights burned out after about 3 minutes...

post-1339-0-25849800-1391127322_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-89543900-1391127388_thumb.jpclose up of the stud we welded to the cast iron block. Very strong bond and no exhaust leaks

post-1339-0-23074100-1391127356_thumb.jp

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

Hodge71

Hers the finished product with the linkage…. I love how it works!!

post-1339-0-32530100-1391558758_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-20182600-1391558790_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-17635600-1391558824_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-03065600-1391558858_thumb.jp

ol550

Looks like a ringer on the linkage. :handgestures-thumbup:

wheeledhorseman

Good to see you back on the case Jeff and finishing things off - still have a few niggling things on mine to do as well.

Out of interest, what did you find as the cause for the hunting issue? We both had that prob if I remember correctly.

Nice finished exhaust stack BTW. :handgestures-thumbup:

Andy

Hodge71

I hate to admit this Andy…I have no idea what was causing the hunting issues. I had gotten so disgusted with this thing I just packed in the corner of the yard  at my old house and honestly didn't run it at all last year. It was missing and just generally running  like crap and no matter what I did, it wouldn't run the 60 inch deck and drive at the same time.  Well the hunting/cruddy running has mysteriously  gone away. I have no proof but I wonder if it had anything to do with the massive exhaust leak I had on that right side exhaust manifold where I broke the ear off. It was sucking all that exhaust in the carb  and ran like poo…especially at idle...Once my Dad welded a stud in place of the ear and we installed new graphite gaskets, its sealed like a champ…not even the slightest leak. So I never tore into the carb again, didn't replace the throttle bushing like I was blaming everything on, nor did I pull the heads to check the bore or valves. I may pay the price once the warm weather comes and I try to run the 60 again but time will tell. Honestly, once I heard it start and run without issues and black sooty or blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust I realized how much I missed it. Now I just need to get it out the farm here…I kinda feel bad taking it from my Dad though…He wouldn't drive it but he liked it…lol…Next thing to be done is adjustment of the neutral position and friction on the motion control. When I step on the brake pedal to stop, it blows right by neutral and starts to go in reverse a bit. Plus it  creeps a very slight bit in reverse with the parking brake on. 

Looks like a ringer on the linkage. :handgestures-thumbup:

Couldn't have done it without you Ol'….The measurements were perfect!!! :bow-blue:

wheeledhorseman

I also hate to admit it but I gave up on mine too for a while Jeff - there it stood looking pretty in the corner but unable to do any useful work. I'd come to the conclusion that maybe the governor on mine was not working correctly but it wasn't till I got the second D that ran properly that I was inspired again and had the chance to compare.

What I noticed almost immediately was that the adjustable governor linkage was set very differently on the one that worked so I set the other like it by eye. What a difference that made! Wouldn't say it's perfect but it did useful work for me last summer as a result. Probably just needs fine tuning now.

Andy